exhaust and remap

jeravoy

there was a chap on Ebay, based in Leeds, Yorkshire, UK offering a mail in service - no idea if he is competent but we need a guinea pig...
It looks like they don't have anything proven on the dyno, they just flash in the base "unrestricted" maps from Flash-Tune. Which will unrestrict a lot of stuff, but it doesn't touch your fueling which will still cause a lot of issues. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just sayin...
I gained 5+whp and fueling was fine. I believe manufacturers leave extra fuel in the base tune as they practically EXPECT consumers to put exhaust on their bikes AND you can get the Akra installed by your dealer. Additional benefits can be had from the flash to be sure, but I stand by there are at least 2 configs where you could expect very few issues on the factory tune. A modded OE system where cat remains, or the Akra with db killer in. All other configs differ enough to warrant a fueling solution.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Just sayin... I gained 5+whp and fueling was fine. I believe manufacturers leave extra fuel in the base tune as they practically EXPECT consumers to put exhaust on their bikes AND you can get the Akra installed by your dealer. Additional benefits can be had from the flash to be sure, but I stand by there are at least 2 configs where you could expect very few issues on the factory tune. A modded OE system where cat remains, or the Akra with db killer in. All other configs differ enough to warrant a fueling solution.
thumbup111.gif

And there are now 4 ( soon may be 5) of us running this mod. Although Lewis is now playing with tunes...

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Just sayin... I gained 5+whp and fueling was fine. I believe manufacturers leave extra fuel in the base tune as they practically EXPECT consumers to put exhaust on their bikes AND you can get the Akra installed by your dealer.

This isn't true at all. Because of emissions and fuel economy, the run the bikes as lean as possible. The second you put an exhaust on without making and fueling changes, they start gargling and hesitating everywhere, because it's way too lean.

At part throttle I agree, but some extra fuel can be added via the oxygen sensor. At full throttle, I believe my wideband sensor info gathered on the dyno. 13:1 and graphs to prove
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

At part throttle I agree, but some extra fuel can be added via the oxygen sensor. At full throttle, I believe my wideband sensor info gathered on the dyno. 13:1 and graphs to prove
The o2 sensor is only there to make small fuel trims in normal light throttle riding conditions, for emissions purposes. Not for full or even half throttle. Even then, the EPA will definitely not let Yamaha target a 13.1 A/F ratio. The bike will run (barely) at a lot leaner than that and have better fuel economy and be easier on the environment. 

So my bike isn't 13:1 at wide open? Interesting....
My dyno equipment says otherwise.
I won't argue that these bikes are very lean when in closed loop.

2015 Matte Grey

This statement isn't quite accurate. Most bikes IGNORE the o2 at WOT, I only know of a couple that still process the o2 voltage before determining the final fuel injector duration at WOT.

THE ONLY reason for an oxygen sensor is to keep the catalytic converter operating efficiently.

13:1 at WOT is believable and I would suspect even 12.5-12.8 depending on conditions.

WOT is only one of many throttle positions however. Usually good throttle response after switching exhausts, etc. is only possible with a remap. Just because you measured 13.1 at 8k rpm and 100 throttle position (for example) doesn't mean the bike couldn't be a bit lean at 15% roll on to WOT at 3500 rpm. If you think your bike runs fine, great... I'm happy for you.

That doesn't mean the bike couldn't run even better with a reflash or other tuning after the exhaust is changed.

-S

I think my statement could have been worded better. I understand that the O2 is ignored at WOT (open loop). This is why the fueling can be 13:1. I also agree that a flash could improve the performance across the range. I was just observing that with the minimal mod I made to my exhaust, the ECU was able to add a bit of fuel in CLOSED LOOP at part throttle and prevent leaner than stock fueling. I will be addressing the ECU, fwiw.
2015 Matte Grey

• 2 months later...
I talked to ixil the other day and they are telling me with their 2 options for the FJ they have had bikes on the dyno and results show significant gains in HP and torque with no popping on deceleration or rich fumes - along with being lean to the motor without a remap. This guy said the pipe they make for the FZ with 2 pipes on the end fits the FJ and keeps the center stand. I know somebody on this forum has one.

I will be remapping my bike on the dyno in the next week or 2 once my Flashtune cable shows up. Looking forward to a smoother running bike this season.
2015 Matte Grey

I talked to ixil the other day and they are telling me with their 2 options for the FJ they have had bikes on the dyno and results show significant gains in HP and torque with no popping on deceleration or rich fumes - along with being lean to the motor without a remap. This guy said the pipe they make for the FZ with 2 pipes on the end fits the FJ and keeps the center stand. I know somebody on this forum has one.
Of course the company that makes the product is going to tell you it gains performance. How about a company that doesn't make exhausts at all? ixil dyno graphs

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for info,
I have that full IXIL on my FJ-09.
I havent made any remapping yet,
and wonder if it can damage the engine running
with original ECU map and my IXIL full system with
double endpipe?
It seems to run fine when riding.

• 2 weeks later...
You could take 10 FJ's put them on a dyno stock and they all will run differant. Change the exhaust and the same again.Every bike is different no matter what you do to it in exhaust and air intake. How high above sea level etc. Example for me was my 06 KTM 950 SM. Carbed.not FI.Stock header ,re-jetted KN.filter with high out put twin cans compared to a 2011 990 SM with FI. All of the same mods and the 2011 had a remap. My Carbed 950 was pushing 115 rear wheel HP. The 2011 with bigger displacement was at 110. So many things to take into consideration?

Archived