New owner fuel gauge not working

alex5657r

Hello everyone. Just got my FJ09. Upgraded from a Ninja 650. My first issue is the fuel gauge. It seems to show full no matter how much gas is in there. I don't know what happens when it becomes completely empty because I don't want to ride it down to the point it will stop. I searched on this forum and saw a couple of people saying that it either shows full or empty with nothing in between. Will mine eventually show empty or will I just run out of gas? Is there any kind of a fix?

Also if anyone knows, are there known recalls on the fj09 that need to be done?

Thanks.

Al.

The fuel gauge will show full for around 100 miles from a fill-up. I'd say if you are riding more than 120 miles and it is still showing all the bars then there is a calibration problem. I am aware of one rider here who had issues with it showing an incorrect level - it worked as it should after he took it in for a service.
The recall affected a range of earlier manufactured bikes, your dealer ought to have rectified any stock they had which had the defective part.

The fuel gauge takes a bit to get used to. It will show full until the tank is about half empty. Then the remaining blocks are roughly 1/8 tank increments. So very roughly, depending on your driving style, 80-100 miles before the first block goes off, then 20-30 for each block thereafter. This gives you, again very roughly, 170-200 mile range from full to empty. Linked below are two of many threads that go into much more detail. The easiest way to search the forum is to put site:fj-09.org in your google search. That will limit the search to this forum.

http://fj-09.org/thread/685/fuel-gauge-accuracy

http://fj-09.org/thread/1800/gas-gauge-question

I thought the same thing when I got my FJ in March . It's just "different" . Mine will drop from full to half around 100 miles, depending on how you ride.  Then from half to quarter then to reserve light but it's consistent . Check it with your trip gage to get a good idea of how it reads.

Thanks guys. The bike went about 100 miles so far and still shows full, so I guess I will wait. My Ninja gauge was very accurate, but I will get used to it. Just wanted to make sure I will eventually get a warning when I am near empty.

It'll stay the same until around 110 miles when the first and largest bar disappears. It'll lose about a bar every 20 miles until it flashes at you when you have burned 4 of the 4.8 gallons.

Mine usually ticks down between 105-120 miles. If you drive "decently", you'll be able to net about 220 miles to the tank.

I rode 25 miles after my F-Trip turned on the other day, aka fuel light, and when I filled up, the pump clicked at 4.4 gallons. So I figure you can squeeze out about 40 miles on the F-Trip before you're SOL.

Archived