Exceeding recommended load weight

2whltuner

Hmmmm....67 pounds over the max. Make darn sure the tires are inflated, you probably need a suspension upgrade and don't hit any large holes in the pavement. "I'll just take it easy" while good intentioned does not always work. ATGATT Enjoy the ride.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It's not that I am sensitive to Wessie's comments, it's that I was (am) looking for feedback from others who have similar concerns with exceeding the weight limit. Not to be told to buy a Goldwing or go on a diet. No hard feelings here.
Is the correct answer. 
People need to lighten up, especially @ogri, whose comment was more outrageous than mine! I don't need booze to become brave enough to speak my mind. 

Those who keep up with my >1500 posts will find a combination of the helpful, the opinionated, the humourous (correct spelling you note) and the downright rude. 

If I have to tone down my posts then I'll go elsewhere where people are more tolerant as like most, I only come here for my own entertainment. I think I have the balance about right. I even have fans it seems, some are too shy to publicly announce their adoration but I have the PMs.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
It's not that I am sensitive to Wessie's comments, it's that I was (am) looking for feedback from others who have similar concerns with exceeding the weight limit. Not to be told to buy a Goldwing or go on a diet. No hard feelings here.
In the aviation industry, we design with a 50% margin of error prior to failure. Not sure what the motorcycle manufacturers do, but I would imagine there is considerable margin on the 397 lbs. With that said, check the subframe metal for cracks periodically just in case. A better/stiffer suspension would also be a must me thinks. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

If I have to tone down my posts then I'll go elsewhere where people are more tolerant as like most, I only come here for my own entertainment. I think I have the balance about right. I even have fans it seems, some are too shy to publicly announce their adoration but I have the PMs.

.....we are not worthy.....we are not worthy...we are not worthy...... 

• Premium Member

.....we are not worthy.....we are not worthy...we are not worthy......
Don't come here with your sarcasm. Someone will complain. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

You're alright @wessie, there you go .. ;)

----

When I was looking at buying the bike I did have a concern about the max weight and also the limitations on luggage options. Some research resulted in horror stories of the frame breaking ??? You gotta love the Internet!

Being in Europe, my luggage is different from yours. We have the semi rigid panniers which do not hold as much as the city cases, I've also got a top box which is supposed to be a no no. Already I've exceeded manufacturer's specifications irrespective of the weight.
I knew at time of purchase I'd be looking at an uprated spring, most likely on a Nitron shock, as I'd be pushing the upper limit of the factory fitted unit.

I haven't replaced the shock yet, I've done over 12,500 miles - sure I have scraped bits of the bike in Spain and doing the Alps but otherwise the 'stock shock' exceeded my expectations. I was solo on these trips, but did a trip to France two up and seemed to scare the living daylights out of my pillion with the odd scraping 'noises'.
Now I'd only consider a replacement for pillion peace of mind.

Wessie is our inhouse comedian of english humor. Don't let one poster chase you off. @Wessie walks right on the line, problem is, I drew the line while phucked up drunk on Beam and coke so it Zig Zags it's way right down the forum.

Civl arguments are ok, but outright personal attacks are not. We keep an eye on these threads and warn people if needed.

I ran a really tight ship and banned a few people when the forum was new, trying to keep everyone happy. The complaints filled my inbox so we have backed off a bit and the complaints went away like a fart in the wind. Works for me.

I like a sense of humor and want this place to be fun. So, please keep that in mind. @Wessie, please don't bite the tourists or I'll be forced to grab the whip and the hula hoop again.

It's an internet forum folks, lets just have some fun while we are here, ok?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d3/75/4d/d3754df401fce3d73137b77cda8fc8ec.jpg

I am aware of the stock suspensions limitations, my main concern was with the structural integrity of the subframe. Being that it is further extended from the frame than the FZ-09 and placing the bags and passenger further behind the center of gravity. Also the weight of the bags/brackets (44lbs) and the max weight capabilities of the bags (22lbs each x 2 for another 44lbs) had me thinking if the subframe would be capable of supporting said weight PLUS a passenger. I agree that a certain amount of "over engineering" hopefully was included in the subframe design.

Knowing that the subframe is made of steel alleviates some of my concern, but yes, I will be inspecting the subframe periodically looking for cracks.

This all being said, I will be consulting with Traxxion Dynamics for a Penske rear shock and fork cartridges so that the suspension does not have to maxed out all the time and will not have to really concern myself with bottoming out or scraping bits.

• Premium Member
Buy a goldwing Go on a diet
Make the SO ride her own bike
FWIW, this made me laugh.... 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

A lot goes in to the max weight rating, suspension adjustment range, braking capability and one that is more critical with modern bikes - strength of the subframe and where it bolts to the main frame.

Older bikes with one piece steel frames had far more strength than needed. Newer bikes with alloy frames and separately bolted on steel or aluminum subframes, keep an eye on welds near the attachment points for the subframe and the main frame itself.  An example was the Hayabusa, 99's and 00's had nice light aluminum subframes. They started seeing failures and the next thing you know, 01's came with a standard steel subframe and there was a recall/safety bulletin/whatever you want to call it where 99's and 00's got "upgraded" to the steel model.

Archived