Rough starting issues

xpress

I tried searching around to see if anyone else has had the same issues but no luck on my part. Basically, what happens is I park my bike at work in the morning (after riding for a good 45 minutes) and when I come out to start it again to run to lunch about 4 hours later, the bike is very difficult to get to start on its own, just sputters without starting. I have to give it about half throttle to get it to finally fire to life. If I keep cranking it, it does nothing until I give it the go juice. 

This only seems to happen midday after the bike has sat in the sun for a few hours. Doesn't happen in the morning or afternoon, or any other time of day for that matter, only when I run out to lunch. 

Any ideas? 

In any matter, it's going back to the dealer for them to poke and prod it to see if they can't find out the cause, but I'd be nice to have an idea of what's going on. 

Look for a code on the right screen next time it happens. You don't need to go into any menus, it will just be on the right screen while the ignition is on but the bike is not running. If there's a number that shows up, post it and we can tell you what it means.

Next time it does that, try popping open the fuel tank door to release any pressure and see if that helps. Also, I have noticed when it doesn't start right away, stop holding the button and give it a second or two then try again. If you hold it down it'll just crank and crank.

• Premium Member
If hitting the starter button twice works like toast suggested you might try adjusting the free play at the throttle tube, that cured mine and some others.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

As an update, it seems to be related to warmer days. It never left the 60's today and the bike started right up when I went out to leave for lunch. Bringing it in tomorrow to see what the dealer says, need a new front tire. 

Look for a code on the right screen next time it happens. You don't need to go into any menus, it will just be on the right screen while the ignition is on but the bike is not running. If there's a number that shows up, post it and we can tell you what it means.
I haven't ever noticed any numbers appear outside of the norm, and there's certainly no additional numbers displayed right now. 

park the bike in the shade
If I had shade to park it in at work then that's where it would always be parked. 

As an update, it seems to be related to warmer days. It never left the 60's today and the bike started right up when I went out to leave for lunch. Bringing it in tomorrow to see what the dealer says, need a new front tire.  

I haven't ever noticed any numbers appear outside of the norm, and there's certainly no additional numbers displayed right now.  

park the bike in the shade
If I had shade to park it in at work then that's where it would always be parked. 
Just be on the lookout for it next time it happens as they go away after the bike is started so they are easy to overlook. I had an issue once and didn't realize a code was popping up automatically. I was on google trying to figure out how to find the codes before I realized they were right in front of my face. They won't show up if there isn't a problem.

OK so I picked the bike up today with my new front tire in place (damn, fresh tread feels funny) and had a chat with the service guys. They see about a dozen FZ-09's in every week and they have never heard of this issue before- the FJ-09 isn't that much different so if it were some kind of known issue they might already know the fix. In any manner, it's time for my 8000 mile service which seems to involve spark plugs. I somehow doubt the spark plugs would cause this issue but if the manual calls for their replacement then replace them I shall.

The dealer wants me to leave the bike with them for a few days, and that Yamaha wants to know if this is a legitimate issue, which I figured is what they would tell me.

Archived