Loobman Installation

kimmie

I searched and searched but couldn’t find any information on how people install the Loobman on the MT-09 Tracer or even where anyone is actually using on this model.

Karl (hubby) & I did a rough cardboard template of the desired shape, marked up the bolt holes and I fiddled with it until I was happy with the prototype end result for position and height.

We used 3mm aluminium to manufacture the final bracket (we have lathe & drill press at home) which we then painted.

Mounted it to the inside of the pannier bracket using longer bolts into the existing mounting holes. 

Loobman%201_zpskwzw1hfu.jpg

Karl cut 2x slots for the cable tie to nestle between to stop it sliding off.

Loobman%203_zpsdkiofrcp.jpg

The feeder support is mounted on the inside of the swing arm using cable ties. The feeder is positioned so the oil is delivered to each side of the sprocket, thus lubricating the chain.

Loobman%204_zps7z2xjv1u.jpg

The feeder tube just bends down behind the pannier bracket and along the swing arm into the feeder head.

Loobman%202_zps8ryqp6jr.jpg

I've been using a Loobman for 7 years on my previous bike and is great for someone that has trouble getting the bike on the centre to lube the chain. A simple push of the button on the top of the reservoir and the oil is gravity fed through the clear tubing and drips onto the sprocket.

The down side is there is a bit of fling off but it's easy enough to clean off. I find the chain is much easier to clean and you don't get as much gunky build up on the chain guard or front sprocket cover. 

I know it's no Scott or Pro Oiler system but for around $40 AUD shipped from the UK, I'm not complaining (you even get a discounted if you buy multiple units).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 3 years later...

I bought one of these. the bottle(tin) is rather large. bought it to put it on my old classic t500k  but no where to mount it its to big might be ok on the tracer 900 but not got the bike here so cant tell if its ok or not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Lubricant-Grease-Lub-Part-Kit-Chain-Lubricator-Oiler-Maintenance-Set/192521396272?hash=item2cd32b6030:g:7AsAAOSwsn9cEg-M:rk:5:pf:0

On 11/21/2015 at 5:20 AM, kimmie said:

I searched and searched but couldn’t find any information on how people install the Loobman on the MT-09 Tracer or even where anyone is actually using on this model.

Karl (hubby) & I did a rough cardboard template of the desired shape, marked up the bolt holes and I fiddled with it until I was happy with the prototype end result for position and height.

We used 3mm aluminium to manufacture the final bracket (we have lathe & drill press at home) which we then painted.

Mounted it to the inside of the pannier bracket using longer bolts into the existing mounting holes. 

Loobman%201_zpskwzw1hfu.jpg

Karl cut 2x slots for the cable tie to nestle between to stop it sliding off.

Loobman%203_zpsdkiofrcp.jpg

The feeder support is mounted on the inside of the swing arm using cable ties. The feeder is positioned so the oil is delivered to each side of the sprocket, thus lubricating the chain.

Loobman%204_zps7z2xjv1u.jpg

The feeder tube just bends down behind the pannier bracket and along the swing arm into the feeder head.

Loobman%202_zps8ryqp6jr.jpg

I've been using a Loobman for 7 years on my previous bike and is great for someone that has trouble getting the bike on the centre to lube the chain. A simple push of the button on the top of the reservoir and the oil is gravity fed through the clear tubing and drips onto the sprocket.

The down side is there is a bit of fling off but it's easy enough to clean off. I find the chain is much easier to clean and you don't get as much gunky build up on the chain guard or front sprocket cover. 

I know it's no Scott or Pro Oiler system but for around $40 AUD shipped from the UK, I'm not complaining (you even get a discounted if you buy multiple units).

Nice job Kimmie, having the facilities to fabricate opens up the options for the install. Keep us updated on your usage, pros and cons.

I have one mounted on my FJ and found out it is very finicky on the type of oil used. With my old style Loobman(squeeze bottle) that I had mounted to my DL1000, DR650 and my wifes GS500 and I could run just about anything through it and had the best results with 85-90 weight gear oil but this newer style prefers a much thinner oil so I use 0-20 engine oil.

This is the 5th bike I have mounted a Loobman too with the desired results, a well lubed chain with minimal effort and extended chain life. I got almost 50K kms from the chain on my DL1000 and 34K of those kilometers was dragging a chair along.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

@tinkerfreak  I have been using chainsaw blade oil.....which has worked ok. 

However, I have had issues with regular / even delivery (despite all my faffing around) and sometimes the oil just drips straight off the feelers.....did manage to get 37,000 km out of the recent chain though.

It could be the head is very worn and now not holding it's position and wriggles a bit . I haven't damaged the head but have worn out one side of the feeler.

In say all this, it has done 74,000 km worth of work on the Tracer and another 30,000 km on other bikes (I just move it from one to the next).
We'll see how perseverance pays off.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

18 hours ago, kimmie said:

@tinkerfreak  I have been using chainsaw blade oil.....which has worked ok. 

However, I have had issues with regular / even delivery (despite all my faffing around) and sometimes the oil just drips straight off the feelers.....did manage to get 37,000 km out of the recent chain though.

It could be the head is very worn and now not holding it's position and wriggles a bit . I haven't damaged the head but have worn out one side of the feeler.

In say all this, it has done 74,000 km worth of work on the Tracer and another 30,000 km on other bikes (I just move it from one to the next).
We'll see how perseverance pays off.

Good to hear Kimmie, I will probably go the chainsaw blade oil route myself once I get the delivery line routing figured out. The original Loobman(squeeze bottle) that I used previously had a single loop, or at least my installations did and it worked great but the new style recommends a dual loop which has been a tad difficult to obtain with such a short run so I intend to lose the upper loop and try that and see if I get better delivery.

In regards to your delivery issue, I had this problem on my wifes GS500 and I had to remove the line from the head and recut so it was not on any sort of angle to the line, as 90 degree to the line as possible then reclamp the head and put in new delivery tiewraps and it worked a charm again until some asshat walked by and yanked the bottle off the bike braking the bottle mounting bracket and dislodging the line and head from the swing arm mounting bracket I had manufactured, but not to dispair as I had a reserve kit at home which was installed and still doing active duty.

I always have a reserve kit or two on the shelf.

Cheers

Archived