Pressure in crank case

mjsracing

Help please. When I started to remove the oil fill cap on the side of the engine, there was a lot of pressure built up inside the crank case. Hissing sound when i started to loosen the cap, then it almost shot out of the engine as I got it fully unscrewed. I had just washed the bike and let it idle for 5 minutes in the stand.

I'm sure that is not normal.

Any thoughts about the cause and solution?

Thanks in advance!
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member
Is there a crank case breather into the airbox? If so, is the pipe kinked or blocked?

Many bikes will blow excess oil into the airbox if overfilled. Quite common on BMW boxer engines as people misread the instruction on checking the sight glass, then overfill the engine. This can lead to the pipe clogging. I doubt this would have happened on the Tracer as the oil check is more straightforward plus the bike is relatively new.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
and some people would have me banned!

Glad it was easy to fix. This is what happens when the tank & airbox is twisted rather than removed to get access to the throttle bodies. 

I'll add a warning to the throttle sync thread.

Now, where did the oil go when the pressure built up? Have you had to top up much?

Hopefully it just got burnt off somewhere and the clutch is wet so unlike a BMW, you won't have blown a clutch seal...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Glad it was easy to fix. This is what happens when the tank & airbox is twisted rather than removed to get access to the throttle bodies. 

Now, where did the oil go when the pressure built up? Have you had to top up much?

Hopefully it just got burnt off somewhere and the clutch is wet so unlike a BMW, you won't have blown a clutch seal...
Have you banned?? Why? Your posts are great! The flag is like a big warning that sarcasm is here! I love it! Bloody piss poor work from the dealers..

• Premium Member

Have you banned?? Why? Your posts are great! The flag is like a big warning that sarcasm is here! I love it! Bloody piss poor work from the dealers..

Thankyou for your adulation. I'll add it to the others in my portfolio.

The rainbow flag? That means something completely different, sweetie.

Archived