Oregon Coast in November

keithu

• Premium Member
November is usually the rainiest month here in western Oregon, so when I saw blue sky this morning I had to go out for a ride. But clear skies this time of year also means cold temperatures, and unfortunately I recently found that my old heated vest finally died. I put on a sweatshirt, but wished I'd put on another layer. Thank FSM for heated grips!

I rode through Corvallis and out to the coast on OR-34. This highway has some tasty twisties, but with temps near freezing and wet patches I had to step gingerly through the coast range.

The air warmed quickly when I got to Waldport, with the Pacific Ocean keeping the air up in the high 50s. It felt balmy compared to the forests and valleys I rode through to get here.

In Yachats I warmed up with coffee and a pastry, and continued south past Cape Perpetua and Haceta Head to Florence. I was hoping for the obligatory Haceta Head bike photo, but road construction currently blocks the Pacific Coast's most photographed motorcycle parking spot.

In Florence I turned back east and rode inland on OR-36. The temperature dropped quickly as I left the coast, but temps were above freezing so I was able to really enjoy highway 36. The odometer ticked over 219 miles as I rolled into the driveway. A good day!

21iTtiW.jpgYachats... pronounced "Ya-hots."

urKOm7k.jpg

7kxroJK.jpg

CcL90Lr.jpg

kLeldOT.jpg
I am between cameras, so I'm stuck taking photos with my phone. Trust me, the view from atop Cape Perpetua is breathtaking. If you ever ride this portion of the Oregon coast, be sure to ride up to the Cape Perpetua overlook. Not only do you get this view, but the two mile ride up is one of the best ribbons of convoluted asphalt I've ever sampled.

ecNyo3N.jpg

emvSZzX.jpg

6oh8Niw.jpg
OR-36 snakes through forests and valleys in its way back to the Willamette Valley.

• 2 months later...

Archived