What aftermarket seat for FJ-09?

• Premium Member
Hello Bert

Spend a while reading the threads in the forum. Both topics have a number of threads already and you'll struggle to find a consensus as we are all different shapes & sizes.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

@wessie is right. But since you asked what has worked for me, I have the Ermax touring screen with a Puig clip on. It is ok. Better than Stock but not 100% wonderfulness for me. I may try the Puig touring screen and move my clip on over to it next. I am waiting to see what Sargent releases for the seat. They have announced they are making a seat but have not released it yet. Based on friends with other bikes, Sargent seems to be what I am looking for. I will know more once it is released.

• Premium Member
I'm planning on buying a FJ-09 in the spring.  I read that once you change the seat and windshield, it's the perfect overall machine.    

Is that true? 

What aftermarket seat and windshield has worked for you? 
Nope. Change the suspension, add heated grips, new windshield, and seat and it is perfect. Not required, but you said perfect machine.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Don't discount the stock seat too quickly... there are many of us here that rather like the stock seat. I myself find it satisfactory for long days on the FJ, but like everything YMMV. Ride with it a few weeks first, then see what you think.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
I really disliked the stock seat at first, but I've sort of gotten used to it. It starts to get uncomfortable after about 250 miles. At some point I'm going to have a seat custom made by Mr. Ed's Moto.

I'm still running the stock windscreen and I can't believe it. It's really bad. But the moto, light weight, and ergos are so wonderful it's easy to overlook these minor flaws. I'd already have the Parabellum shield but I'm waiting to read a first impression of the Zero Gravity thing.

• Premium Member
See, I totally agree with the windscreen. It's pretty lacking.
But the stock seat IMO isn't bad. I've run 350+ mile days on it with minimal complaints. Any seat will start to be uncomfortable after a long tiring day. And I've never owned a seat that was really perfect. I've had Sargent, Corbin and 'upgraded' OEM seats. None would I consider to be truly outstanding, just 'high-mileage tolerable'. But seat opinions are like colours, very subjective and varied by the rider.
I rather like the FJ seat, for a stock OEM seat it's really pretty decent.
Now the stock SV seat... that's an entirely different animal. It's dreadful.  >:D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
All seats can be made incredibly more comfortable then stock without a custom seat with the addition of both or either an Airhawk seatpad and I like to lay an aerostitch sheepskin pad but any sheepskin or faux sheep type fur would work on top of a lightly inflated airhawk pad. I've never found a seat this didn't work on for a delightfully comfortable 3000+ mile week on the road. But on my body all my extra padding is on my belly unfortunately so I need all the extra help I can get back there for a softer ride.

• Premium Member

I'm planning on buying a FJ-09 in the spring.  I read that once you change the seat and windshield, it's the perfect overall machine.    

Is that true? 

I thought that mirror extenders were the first and necessary modification. I couldn't see anything but my elbows before getting the extenders by Koubalink. I guess one of the forum vendors offers similar extenders now. 
After that I went with the CalSci large screen and the Seat Concepts seat. I really like the screen and the seat is definitely better than stock. 

You can wear padded shorts to improve your seating comfort with any seat, like Moto Skiveez or the Bilt Arma shorts. I use the latter when I plan to ride for hours. They include some padding on the hips.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Is that true? 

I thought that mirror extenders were the first and necessary modification. I couldn't see anything but my elbows before getting the extenders by Koubalink. I guess one of the forum vendors offers similar extenders now. 
After that I went with the CalSci large screen and the Seat Concepts seat. I really like the screen and the seat is definitely better than stock. 

You can wear padded shorts to improve your seating comfort with any seat, like Moto Skiveez or the Bilt Arma shorts. I use the latter when I plan to ride for hours. They include some padding on the hips.

Those three items are precisely what I did to improve the FJ-09 riding experience. Kouba mirror extenders,  Cal Sci Large and Seat Concepts seat.  Less than $500 and its a huge improvement over the stock setup.  Especially that stock windscreen.  Useless. 

• Premium Member
For me the OEM seat did not work so I changed my seat to a seat concepts and have no issues with long rides (13-14) hours on the bike.  I have also installed the Parabellum Tall 26" and really like the difference.  Have not heard any reviews of madstad or other similar screens.

• Premium Member
For me the OEM seat did not work so I changed my seat to a seat concepts and have no issues with long rides (13-14) hours on the bike.  I have also installed the Parabellum Tall 26" and really like the difference.  Have not heard any reviews of madstad or other similar screens. 

Click on "search" above and type in Madstad.You will get a number of reviews. This is one I participated in: http://fj-09.org/thread/2137/madstad-windscreen-experience?page=2 

• Premium Member
I'm on the opposite coast, but it warmed my heart that a custom product, niche market shop like Mr. Ed's Moto still exists somewhere! 

I live less than a mile from the shop so it's a natural choice, but the owners (Don and Debbie) are great people so I'd go out of my way do business there even if it wasn't nearby.

Archived