What aftermarket seat for FJ-09?

• Premium Member
I think the stock seat is fine, but it is a matter of preference. The windshield is garbage and so is the rear shock.
I made my own seat once. I was racing a Ducati in the AFM and the aftermarket bodywork didn't come with a seat or a way to attach the stock one. So I did just what you did Joeldude, I made one. Mine came out looking more like a bar stool. Took a lot of ribbing in the paddock. Good times!

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I actually truly hated this bike with the stock seat and windshield. . Changed the windshield to a Madstad and the seat to a Corbin. Completely changed the bike. I tried to sell it shortly after getting those items but have since decided to keep it. I am also a cyclist and the stock seat was horrible. . 40 miles was about it for me.

I bought the heated Corbin.  It is a bit hard, but my other Corbin seats always bedded in well.  The only problem is that it is a lot taller than the stock seat.  I can no longer flat foot both feet at a stop light.  I also can't throw my leg over the seat when it is on the center stand, I have to mount it like a horse and rock it off the center stand.  But I do LOVE the heat, especially on below 40 degree days we've been having.

I just bought the same seat, and agree with most of your points. I'm not so sure it's taller, I think the addl. width is what is keeping your feet from touching down flat. FWIW, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I do mount it like a horse and am able to *just* swing my right leg over the top of the Corbin passenger backrest.

As for my latest my Corbin, I've had 4 or 5 in my riding daze, and all of them were quite firm but bedded in.  However, this new seat is quite "cushy" on top.  When I placed the order -- with Darrell Stueckel -- I told him that I had a very boney ass due to chemo/rad treatments - lost a LOT of weight!  Anyway, he said he'd speak with Production and see if they could accommodate me.  THEY DID!  I think I sit more "in" this seat than "on" it due to the cushy layer.

Corbin offers a free service (except for shipping) whereby they will make any adjustments you need for up to 60 days.  Perhaps you could call Darrell and speak with him about hooking you up....

Best Wishes,

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 1 month later...
But the stock seat IMO isn't bad. 
I'm okay with stock seats.  My questions about the FJ-09 seat: 
1) I have it on the high setting an the back of the rider's seat seems to "rock" around more than I'd like.  Any solutions?
2) Sure seems like a ton of water will get under the seat due to the gap between front and rear seats.  Has that been a problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
make sure the tongue at the tank end is pushed fully home and then make sure the rear post is seated into the receptacle. If the seat is not pushed fully forward then you will have a big gap and the rear post will not be supported resulting in the symptoms you describe.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
Since having the Seat Concepts foam and cover installed by a local upholsterer the gap between the front seat and tank has grown. It's now probably 3/4". I'm concerned about rain flooding the underseat area and causing problems. I have not yet contacted the guy who did the work but would be surprised if the plastic seat pan was bent backward during installation.

I'll try to remember to post a review of the seat after sufficient road testing.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
See, I totally agree with the windscreen. It's pretty lacking. But the stock seat IMO isn't bad. I've run 350+ mile days on it with minimal complaints. Any seat will start to be uncomfortable after a long tiring day. And I've never owned a seat that was really perfect. I've had Sargent, Corbin and 'upgraded' OEM seats. None would I consider to be truly outstanding, just 'high-mileage tolerable'. But seat opinions are like colours, very subjective and varied by the rider.
I rather like the FJ seat, for a stock OEM seat it's really pretty decent.
Now the stock SV seat... that's an entirely different animal. It's dreadful.  >:D

See, I totally agree with the windscreen. It's pretty lacking. But the stock seat IMO isn't bad. I've run 350+ mile days on it with minimal complaints. Any seat will start to be uncomfortable after a long tiring day. And I've never owned a seat that was really perfect. I've had Sargent, Corbin and 'upgraded' OEM seats. None would I consider to be truly outstanding, just 'high-mileage tolerable'. But seat opinions are like colours, very subjective and varied by the rider.
Now the stock SV seat... that's an entirely different animal. It's dreadful.  >:D

• Premium Member
The stock seat works for me. It's pretty narrow, and it's pretty long and flat, providing lots of options for moving around. That makes all the difference--if you get sick of where you're at, move fore or aft an inch or two!

Stock windshield is worse than nothing at all. My old-style Madstad 24" is nice and quiet, but a bit ugly and hard to adjust.

Archived