A new engine whine noise

Hello all,
My bike started making a weird steady whining or whirring sound. I'm not talking about the nice whine it makes in 6 gear when u get on down the road. It does it in any gear or w clutch pulled in as long as u are moving. It is steady and slows down as u slow down and stops when u come t a stop. I got some engine clatter too. It started after I let a friend borrow it to g t his house 35 miles away t get something f his bike. Not saying he did anything buf he did say he got up to 115mph. Irritated me because I never rawhide it or go that fast. But noticed my chain was loose n I didn't ride it f a day or so n then got guy a couple of doors up the street t tighten my chain since he had bikes, tools needed and has a torque wrench. I really noticed the noise when I left his house n road back t mine.

I put it on ctr stand n put it in gear and ran it n it didn't make t noise. But does when I ride it. Sounds like coming fr engine or transmission. If I lean over n forward sounds like it is below me under the tank. Makes no sense.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

This is normal gear noise.

Pulling in the clutch disconnects the engine from the transmission only, it does not disconnect the transmission from the moving rear wheel. Your transmission is in gear and the transmission is spinning, so you get gear noise. It's more pronounced because you don't have the engine noise masking it.

Incidentally, this is also why you should never tow your motorcycle with one of these: http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/MFWT.html

Thanks y'all but It only just recently stsrted making this particular noise. I read some posts about cam chain temsioners being loose. Could that be it? I'm gonna have it looked at to be safe. Need t take it there anyway. Ever since I had a new reaf tire put in a couple of weeks ago my ABS light is on.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

Cam chain tensioner is a rattle from the right hand side of the motor, mainly noticeable around idle - 3500rpm. The sound that you are describing could just be normal drive chain noise. I can hear mine if I am riding next to a wall on the left side, but not on the right. Can't really hear it at all unless there is something for the sound to bounce off. It changes pitch after the chain adjustment, and as the chain slackens off.

As for your ABS, sounds like they might have damaged/misaligned the pick-up or trigger wheel when swapping the tyre.....

Thanks. I am takinv it in to get checked. One thing, when I had it on the center stand and running while in gear and back tire and chain in action it didn't make that sound. Only when I'm riding it.

• Premium Member
The chain tension is lighter when on the center stand, and tighter when you ride.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Thanks yall. I went t Yamaha n they said I'd tightened my chain way to tight n put my transmissian in a bind. That why my transmission/gears were whining. I felt like such a big dummy. Lol!

Thanks yall. I went t Yamaha n they said I'd tightened my chain way to tight n put my transmissian in a bind. That why my transmission/gears were whining. I felt like such a big dummy. Lol!
I had the same noise after adjusting the chain to the factory spec.  It took a couple adjustments to get it right.  I did that before a couple back to back long distant rides, at about 4-5K.  Even after all that, it seams to fine and I now have 25K.  It will make that sound even if just a little tight.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The longet ride I went on was from fight outside Montgomery to Mobile and back.

Hey redfjniner , what adjustment did you settle on ? thanks in advance 
Bobh
I first went to 1" slack, then went to 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" when on the centerstand.  Since finding that majical number it  has been very smooth.  When it gets over 1 1/2" it starts slapping in town.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived