To be seen or not to be seen?

freebooter

I've posted this before and I'll post it again here. I like this video because it has the best explanation as to why people generally don't see us. It offers some tips to counter it as well, but I think understanding it from the cager's perspective helps more than "just weave so they see you." It helps you recognize times you are much more likely to blend in, even if you're wearing hi-viz.

That being said, I don't personally wear hi-viz. it's not because I don't believe in it or don't like it. On the contrary, hi-viz yellow is among my favorite colors outside of its intended purpose. I just haven't found the hi-viz equipment with the features I want for the price I want in a store I can try it on before I buy it.

• Premium Member
here's a different take on the "being visible" that some people advocate. Some other bargains on the Triumph Outlet too
http://www.triumphfactoryoutlet.com/jackets/mens-triumph-sympatex-light-jacket.html

light2.jpg
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I live that jacket. I need a good winter riding jacket and pants Can't afford one.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• Premium Member
If that was taking it personally I'll endeavor to be more sensitive in the future.  
And, I've thought it through quite well thanks. I'm completely supportive of increasing your visibility and have done so myself. But IMO increased viz should not increase confidence. For that I recommend training and experience.

I agree with everything you say in this post except the middle sentence highlighted in blue.

Anxiety can dent confidence. I'm sure you would agree with this. The classic example is when someone hits a slippery patch on a road, which may be invisible diesel or black ice. This leads to an inappropriate anxiety about the performance of their tyres. This could lead to the rider being hesitant in making a decision that could affect their control of their bike. Their mind is not at rest until they change to another brand, which would have suffered the same slip in the same circumstances. The internet is littered with forum posts about "bad tyres" when it was "bad luck" or "poor forward vision" that contributed to the incident. 

If someone has some anxiety about their visibility to other road users then they may also be hesitant about decision making on the road. This could lead to distraction, focusing on a perceived threat rather than the road ahead. If the anxiety can be reduced or eliminated by wearing hi-viz clothing, applying reflective tape to the bike etc then this lowered anxiety must have a benefit on the rider's concentration which is intrinsically linked to confidence. 

If you cannot accept that anxiety, concentration and confidence are intrinsically linked to the competence of a rider then I suggest you take some of that training you refer to. It does not need to be motorcycle specific, just some generic training about coaching. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
If that was taking it personally I'll endeavor to be more sensitive in the future.  
And, I've thought it through quite well thanks. I'm completely supportive of increasing your visibility and have done so myself. But IMO increased viz should not increase confidence. For that I recommend training and experience.

I agree with everything you say in this post except the middle sentence highlighted in blue. 
Anxiety can dent confidence. I'm sure you would agree with this. The classic example is when someone hits a slippery patch on a road, which may be invisible diesel or black ice. This leads to an inappropriate anxiety about the performance of their tyres. This could lead to the rider being hesitant in making a decision that could affect their control of their bike. Their mind is not at rest until they change to another brand, which would have suffered the same slip in the same circumstances. The internet is littered with forum posts about "bad tyres" when it was "bad luck" or "poor forward vision" that contributed to the incident. 

If someone has some anxiety about their visibility to other road users then they may also be hesitant about decision making on the road. This could lead to distraction, focusing on a perceived threat rather than the road ahead. If the anxiety can be reduced or eliminated by wearing hi-viz clothing, applying reflective tape to the bike etc then this lowered anxiety must have a benefit on the rider's concentration which is intrinsically linked to confidence. 

If you cannot accept that anxiety, concentration and confidence are intrinsically linked to the competence of a rider then I suggest you take some of that training you refer to. It does not need to be motorcycle specific, just some generic training about coaching. 

But Wessie, you have anxiety about the price of beer, yet I've seen you confidently work your way through six pints of Reverend James...

• 1 year later...
I do a lot of street riding. A few years ago I began wearing hi-viz jackets. While it's not a substitute for being alert, I kid you not when I say my space cushion has increased with hi-viz Gear. I don't care about looking uncool, I just want to be able to ride another day.

I do a lot of street riding. A few years ago I began wearing hi-viz jackets. While it's not a substitute for being alert, I kid you not when I say my space cushion has increased with hi-viz Gear. I don't care about looking uncool, I just want to be able to ride another day.
I just bought my first Hi-viz jacket last week. Its not covered with hi-viz just on the the outside of the arms, across the shoulders at the back and on the sides. It's a good compromise between style and visibility. My riding buddies tell me I stick out like a "turd in a punch bowl". I guess that means it's working.

• Premium Member
I always wear my,"Helite" brand Hi-viz air deployment vest with mesh jacket underneath in the summer months and my Helite air deployment adventure jacket in cooler weather. Makes me happy and makes my family happy. I ride with comfortable functional gear. I'm not making a fashion statement when I ride.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I am a firm believer in ATGATT and part of that is my Aerostitch Darien hi viz jacket. I can't recall a time when someone pulled in front of me in one of those "I didn't see him" moments that I often hear other riders speak about.

Archived