New Member in So Cal (Orange County)

maxxam

I can ride most Sunday mornings, sometimes I have to work Saturdays. I bought the FJ09 because I have bad ringing in my ears and needed a quieter bike. So for now, I have to stay off freeways and under 50 mph to avoid helmet buffeting. It may take me few weeks to try a few different things to better manage wind flow and noise because I don't really want a big windshield. I can do Ortega to the Look Out or back roads to Fallbrook for lunch just about any Sunday morning.
Hey, so far it looks like mid 70s and sunny on Sunday.  I could be talked into a ride on the Fallbrook back roads you mentioned.  I'm in Westminster and could meet you in Irvine or somewhere. Hey, Maxxam Greg  and Mike Brooke - you interested?
Gregg - That's a great idea about a So CA rider meetup, I just don't know how to do it with this forum, do you?

TimG

I can ride most Sunday mornings, sometimes I have to work Saturdays. I bought the FJ09 because I have bad ringing in my ears and needed a quieter bike. So for now, I have to stay off freeways and under 50 mph to avoid helmet buffeting. It may take me few weeks to try a few different things to better manage wind flow and noise because I don't really want a big windshield. I can do Ortega to the Look Out or back roads to Fallbrook for lunch just about any Sunday morning.
Hey, so far it looks like mid 70s and sunny on Sunday.  I could be talked into a ride on the Fallbrook back roads you mentioned.  I'm in Westminster and could meet you in Irvine or somewhere. Hey, Maxxam Greg  and Mike Brooke - you interested?
Gregg - That's a great idea about a So CA rider meetup, I just don't know how to do it with this forum, do you?

TimG

Im interested. Tim has my number, just shoot me a text and ill go with you guys. Tim and I rode 2 weeks ago and it was pretty fun.

Between headache from wind buffeting and sore back from too stiff shock, I can't ride any more than 50 miles at a time. It will be a month or three before I will be able get these things fixed and be able to ride any further than that. I'll probably be able to show up for meet and great, breakfast at Lookout on Ortega, but that will be as far as I can go.   Mastad windshield and Race Tech suspension on order.

Between headache from wind buffeting and sore back from too stiff shock, I can't ride any more than 50 miles at a time. It will be a month or three before I will be able get these things fixed and be able to ride any further than that. I'll probably be able to show up for meet and great, breakfast at Lookout on Ortega, but that will be as far as I can go.   Mastad windshield and Race Tech suspension on order. 

I'm somewhat confused - do you mean 50 miles each way, google tells me it's at least 40 miles from your place to the Lookout.  Also wondering how you would get there without taking the freeway, earlier you said nothing over 50 mph I think. Gregg can't go until after church.
Mike prefers early morning rides, so I suspect breakfast might work for him.
I would like to meet up around your place in Irvine and go from there.
Any ideas on where and when?

Earlier, I mentioned riding back roads from Ortega to Fallbrook. I haven't done that ride in a few years, but lots of fun country roads. Due to helmet buffering and stiff shock, I really cannot tolerate riding to Fallbrook, but if anybody else wants to meet and then ride farther than LookOut on Ortega, that's fine. But I cannot go any further until windshield and new suspension is on the bike. Maybe I can get few hundred more break-in miles between now and Sunday too loosen up the shock, but I think it is hydro-locking on high speed bumps and nothing will fix that.

Knowing how these forum rides work, I will suggest this. I will be at Mission Motorsports in Irvine at sometime after 900 am this Sunday, Feb 28. Gassed up and ready to go, leave at 9:30 am. Whoever shows up can decide where to go. Sorry, I can't wait until later in the day to start, wife reasons.

I don't know if anybody else knows, but there are several different side roads up in the Ortega area that can be fun to ride. I call them adventure type roads, mostly paved, but lots of sand, rocks, potholes. Old dirt bikers like me love it, new street riders hate them and may be dangerous for inexperienced riders. There is also a adventure type road called South Main Divide that turns off Ortega just beyond Hell's Kitchen and ends up another 20 miles (a total guess) of country roads from Fallbrook. But I can't ride them until I get better suspension.

I'll be riding on Sunday morning getting in some more break-in miles. Since no one has posted anything, I'll just pass by Mission Motorsports at 9:30 to see if anyone shows up at the last minute.
Wish I could make it but have to work. Next time...

Archived