Vinyl Wrapping the Forks?

I have a 2016 Silver FJ-09 on order that will arrive in the spring, so I have nothing to do but read forums and think about things to do to the bike.

I love the looks of the Euro Racing Blue MT-09 Tracer. I  am sad that we don't get blue forks over here.

Is wrapping the the forks an option? I'm picturing the creases near the bottom being hard to get right. I thought about plastidip, but I don't want to take the shocks off the bike.

My friend didn't like the gold forks. He sent had them re-anodized black. They look great. I'm not 100% on the process, but it sounds like there is a solution that removes the current anodization back to the aluminum silver, then they can be recolored to what you want.

• 2 months later...
My friend didn't like the gold forks. He sent had them re-anodized black. They look great. I'm not 100% on the process, but it sounds like there is a solution that removes the current anodization back to the aluminum silver, then they can be recolored to what you want.

Do you know what was all involved in disassembling the forks to be re-anodized? Something a shadetree mechanic would be capable of? (ie: a non suspension guru) A friend of mine runs a small machine shop, and uses an anodizer who can strip and reanodize the forks, but I'll need to do all the prep.

I hated the gold forks on my FZ1, but never ended up swapping/upgrading to the black R1 front end. I'll be dammed if I'm going to live with them on the FJ. My '16 is black, and the gold forks just stand out too much.

Thanks,

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Bought some matte black 3M vinyl and gave it a shot. Since I lack the patience and/or skills to get the graduated section at the bottom to come out wrinkle-free, I left it exposed.
That looks good. The little 'flash' of gold isn't bad, doesn't look terribly out of place, and if you really wanted to cover that, I'll bet it'd be relatively easy to finish off that part with Plasti-Dip.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Thanks!
I like the Corbin pretty well. Yes, it's a little bulky, but it's solid and the foam is firm and supportive. My only complaint is that one of the rubber feet on the underside of the saddle came off. The backrest looks well integrated and a much cleaner design than the Sargent. My pillion is a big fan as well.

• Premium Member
Hawkeye is right, the Corbin is a bit bulky, but way comfortable. Does rise the height up a hair, lost my ability to flat foot, but my butt is not complaining. Looks super with lots of customization choices.

Where do they put state inspection stickers in your states?

I officially have a silver/blue on the way as well now and also like the look of blue forks - however, in PA they put inspections stickers on forks. They make those stickers so that you can't remove them without destroying them, so I'm not sure I can do this unless I cut around the sticker (which seems silly).

Archived