Cheap LEDs for visibilty

vtrhornmono

With lanesplitting in the dark for a commute, the original headlights are just not enough to stand out.  I used HID headlights on my previous Concours 1400 and ST1100, but with the OEM LED headlights, that is not an option.  I do plan to add some LED driving lights when I find a good mount I like, but in the meantime I added some low-amp LEDs to stand out.

I used strip LEDs on the sides of the radiator (search "COB LED" on eBay, they are just double sided tape and little, tiny wires).  Waterproof, and very visible when I used them on the screen of my Concours, or on my father's FZ1 radiator.  I used positap  connectors to the running light circuit on the turn signal, so they are always on.

I just added the little spot lights to the windscreen, as I felt I wanted a light aimed at the 11:00 and 1:00 position to be visible in car mirrors.  These use the same "circuit on board" LEDs as the strips, but a waterproof round body and a lens that aims them.  Tapped to the acc wires under the windscreen, always on.  I used the same 3M doublesided tape to mount it as GoPro uses  with their mounts, and it stick quite well.  If they ever did come lose, I would not mind drilling for a nut/bolt to hold it on, as I expect to want a bigger screen someday anyway.

I also had a little set of spot LEDs that seemed interesting in the eBay ad but not as bright as I was expecting.  Rather than throw them in the toolbox, I stuck them next to the taillight, facing to the ground to light up the undercarriage, since the stock taillight is horrible.  With this and the black reflective stripes on the bags, I think the back end visibility should be fine

http://imgur.com/a/6bAQ1

The pics make them look much brighter than they are, with the requisite J.J. Ahbrams lens flare

( I also have a LED flashlight in the cig socket, one velcro'd into my saddlebag, and 1000lumen LED in my pocket, so I guess I like playing with lights...)

bgQ2DjB.jpgXRH23Pz.jpgmLYMC7w.jpgJxuKwy7.jpgu4Z0qdo.jpg

I hate to see like a shill for eBay sellers, but these are examples of the ones I used.  I never took pics while it was apart, but there are other pics here showing the windscreen mount off to show the spare wires under the dash to tap into, and 3 x 1/4 turn fasteners pop off the side pods to get to the running light leads for the radiator lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pack-of-15-Red-Posi-Tap-18-24-Gauge-Solderless-Wire-Tap-Connectors-/181944668187?hash=item2a5cbf501b:g:uKoAAOSwEeFVUirC&vxp=mtr
This size positap connector worked for all three sets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Super-Bright-White-Car-COB-LED-Lights-DRL-Fog-Driving-Lamp-Waterproof-DC-12V-/291161780706?hash=item43ca9831e2:g:SK8AAOSwu4BVvxIG&vxp=mtr
These stick right on the radiator.  They are  a stiff circuit and frame, so you really can't bend them to fit a curved surface, which limits placement on a lot of bikes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X12W-Car-COB-LED-Round-Headlight-Bright-DRL-Driving-Daytime-Running-Light-Lamps-/262171200611?hash=item3d0a9f0c63:g:9FoAAOSwd0BV3TX1&vxp=mtr
These are the little spots I put on the back end. The rear taillight pops out with two screws, no bodywork is needed to be removed.  Made it easier to tap the blue and black wires on the bench rather than cramped under the seat, and the wires for these will pass through the opening for the taillight

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3LED-COB-Car-DRL-Driving-Daytime-Running-Lamp-Fog-Light-12V-Waterproof-/262170156124?hash=item3d0a8f1c5c:g:GVcAAOSwBahVWvqk
These are on my windscreen.  Bend the tab with large channelocks 90 degrees, then bend down to fine tune the aim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Hi-Power-3-0-COB-LED-Projector-Fog-Day-Driving-DRL-Lights-Lamps-For-Cars-/281770304226?hash=item419ad1a2e2:g:cdIAAOSwrklVdcSY&vxp=mtr
These are new, I bet they would work pretty well hanging under the headlights, above the front fender

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS5&_nkw=COB+Car+DRL+Driving&_sacat=0
Search for COB, and there are a crapload of options, different colors, patterns, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I just put on these radiator strips tonight, and am very happy with them so far. They are great for visibility, so I won't feel like I have to run my driving lights full time when I eventually get those added. They also seem to fill the low spot below the main beam of the headlamp. No replacement for driving lights, but it's a nice add for just a few bucks. Wired them up with positaps to the turn signal wiring when I ran the knuckleguards with turn signal module, so they come on when you turn the key.

You will DEFINITELY be seen, that's a lot of lights! However, the cops might hassle you about the rear facing lights, they could easily blind those behind you.  I really like the radiator lights, very clever son!!

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I've been thinking a set of "switchback" LED's on the sides of the radiator would be cool, just like how you mounted the strip LED lamps you have, but on the fairing, not the radiator tank.
And they curve, and I'd wire them up so they are white while riding, but then flash amber with the turn signals or flashers.

I'm also looking at adding driving lamps under the stock lamps, like the Yamaha ones, but with my own custom bracket that moves the horn to the side, and mounts two, or one wide LED spot light.

And of course I want LED's for the hand guards, also in white that flash amber with the turn signals.

I like the rear lamps, but would always put RED lamps back there, or ones that flash Amber with the turns, and run RED the rest of the time.

I totally agree with your lights, anything to improve people seeing you is a positive on a motorcycle.

• Premium Member
Since I did the amber knuckleguards with turn signal at the same time, I used 3 positaps on each side. I don't have any pics since she's all buttoned back up (will take some if I get the panels off again soon), but basically you've got three wires feeding the turn signal.

Black was ground, Red was park/running, Green was turn/flashers

I (carefully!) cut a slit, 1" or so, in the sheathing back as far as I could on the bike/supply side of the disconnect, and attached positaps there. For the radiator strips, naturally just used the black and red. The left side was easier, more room to work without the fuse panels.

If you are just running the LED strips, and didn't want to take off both sides, or were short on taps, you could run one of the wires across and tap the power on just one side, but I already had both off, and from this location the wire feeds right up inside that panel for a pretty clean install.

Interesting thing though, when I was double checking the wire config with the meter, I managed to jump two pins and blew a fuse (third hand would have been helpful there). Running/parking didn't work, but flashers did. Park fuse looked fine, but swapped it anyways with the spare, with no luck. Looked all over for another fuse, maybe one further up the line. Looked on here to see if there was another hidden fuse panel. Finally happened to check the fuse for the turn signals, which was blown. So, at least on my bike, something got wired incorrectly. Verified the issue by pulling the park again, and sure enough the flashers went off. Very strange! Would be interested to know if mine is the only one like that.

• 2 weeks later...
You will DEFINITELY be seen, that's a lot of lights! However, the cops might hassle you about the rear facing lights, they could easily blind those behind you.  I really like the radiator lights, very clever son!!
I concur, seems like the police in the Southern California area have been hammering down hard on bikers for no reason lately. I'd probably pull the rear facing lights but that's just me, the number of forward facing driving lights might also be of interest to some officers.. 

I have a theory on having an uneven number of lights on your bike to increase your visibility, such as running the low beam with your running lights. It makes people take a second look since they are expecting to see an even number of lights (like how you always notice a car that has a burnt out headlight).

• Premium Member
I have a theory on having an uneven number of lights on your bike to increase your visibility, such as running the low beam with your running lights. It makes people take a second look since they are expecting to see an even number of lights (like how you always notice a car that has a burnt out headlight).
That's actually a pretty neat theory. I certainly take a long hard look at cars with a headlight out, anyone with that lack of care and attention deserves at least a second glance! 

Guest fzrcraig
I'm no scientist but I do believe that seeing multiple lights helps a driver better judge distance and speed. The farther apart the better.

• Premium Member
I'm no scientist but I do believe that seeing multiple lights helps a driver better judge distance and speed. The farther apart the better.
I agree.  Motorists' brains subconsciously judge the speed and distance from a known object like a car by measuring the apparent distance between the headlights.  If they are getting farther apart, the object is getting closer.  If they are getting farther apart quickly, the object is getting closer quickly. 
That's why I don't like the low profile and narrower running lights many motorcyclists install for "style" reasons.  You are removing part of the ability for a motorist to judge your distance and speed.  The stock front and rear indicators are spaced far out for a reason.  Motorcycle headlights, whether a single one or duals like on the Yamaha (which is a single unless the high beam is on) are too close together to start with for the above phenomenon to be helpful to a motorist.

Heck, just glance at my avatar.  The front indicators, even though they are not lit up in the picture, are pretty much the first thing your eyes are drawn to.

Archived