To buy or not to buy?

• Premium Member
Welcome......Hard not to be biased, you are on "our" forum. Cam chain is noisy but I think it's more paranoia than a problem, I haven't heard of any bodies FJ self destructing. Clutch cable failures have happened but I believe odds are more in your favor it won't fail and they are cheap.

I have not ridden the V-Strom or Versys, I hear they are nice but I'm led to believe from those that have they are more mellow and not as "sporty" as the FJ. I came from riding an FZ-1 and find the FJ rather quick and agile, I'm happy with it.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• Premium Member
Clutch cable: define premature. A handful have failed in under 5000 miles. A problem blown out of proportion on internet forums and peace of mind can be had for twenty quid, by sticking a spare under your seat. Just forego a Chinese takeaway and have a sandwich for one meal.

Cam chain: loads of other bikes have noisy cam chains. Few suffer terminal failures. The FZ09/MT09 uses the same engine and has been in production for 3 years. There are no engine reliability worries with the C3 engine.

The Tracer/FJ09 is so good in many areas that there would need to be a really serious problem that affects safety or reliability for me to lose confidence in the bike. Even if the problems you list were a feature of every bike sold, they are minor inconveniences rather than serious problems.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived