Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Holiday Fork + pick your Shock special

This promotion runs till 3/30/2016 (for now).

Do you want a complete, suspension package for your bike? There are many fork and shock options of varying quality, but some folks would rather have a commercial product over my in-house offering. This is also an opportunity to save money on a combo package that would be otherwise difficult to match. You can still Do-it-Yourself or you can take advantage of promotional shop rates and winter down time.

The fork internals are from Andreani, and you have your choice of the customary Ohlins shock or 2 popular models from JRi (about). Up-market JRi lineup available on request.

Andreani fork kit
[ul type=disc][*]2-piston design[*]Adjustable for preload, compression and rebound at the fork cap
[*]Springs suited to rider weight and usage profile[*]Compression piston replaced with high-flow unit and custom re-shimmed for usage profile and improved bump compliance [*]Rebound piston re-shimmed to match spring rate and usage profile
[*]Proper top-out springs instead of fat o-ring[*](opt. +$10) Compression needle shortened and re-contoured for much wider adjustment range
[*](opt. +$50) 3-piston setup adds a base valve to the 'R' leg which improves bump compliance even more - please inquire
[/ul]
The bolded items are Forks-by-Matt's improvements on the original.

JRI 350 Pro
[ul type=disc][*]Description[*]Spring and valving matched to rider[*]Ride Height adjuster[*]Combined Comp/Reb needle[*]Compare to Matris MY120.1KD[/ul]
JRI Double
[ul type=disc][*]Description[*]Spring and valving matched to rider[*]Ride Height adjuster
[*]Independent Comp and Rebound adjustment[*]Remote reservoir[*]Preload rings at top and bottom - very convenient[/ul]
Ohlins YA335 (S46DR1)
[ul type=disc][*]Description[*]Spring matched to rider[*]Rebound damping[/ul]

Nitron NTR1
[ul type=disc][*]Description[*]Spring matched to rider[*]Ride Height adjuster
[*]Combined Comp/Reb needle[/ul]
Nitron NTR2
[ul type=disc][*]Description[*]Spring matched to rider[*]Ride Height adjuster
[*]Independent Comp and Rebound adjustment[*]Remote reservoir
[/ul]

Notes:
[ul type=disc][*]'OE' configuration has no Forks-by-Matt enhancements nor does it include seals or oil.
Lowest price is achieved via drop-ship from respective suppliers. However, the custom parts and seals will be made available for $110 shipped CONUS.[*]D.I.Y = new oil seals with all standard updates applied to fork kit. You supply the oil and the drop-in install is done by you.[*]Full service Installation = forks are completely disassembled and cleaned, all standard upgrades applied, new seals, oil, and springs installed, oil height set, and returned ready to ride.[*]Ride-up service is available by special request and subject to scheduling - add $60[*]Nitron and JRi shocks are built to order and may take 2 weeks[/ul]

Final prices (USD) include shipping and insurance within CONUS.

Matt (Intermediate)[td style=border:1px solid rgb(128, 128, 128);padding:3px]JRi 350 Pron/an/a[td style=border:1px solid rgb(128, 128, 128);padding:3px]1050

[/tbody] (*) approximate
(1) includes Ohlins spring kit. Substitute Sonic for $50 less.
(2) medium gray colored spring add $30

The Andreani and Ohlins NIX-30 kit replace both the internals and fork caps. I return all original parts by default. I am offering a Trade-in credit of $80 for good condition. Offer applies only when purchasing the full service 'Installed' option above, and subject to my needs.

Hey there,

how much for a DIY kit to upgrade the Andreani Kit I have in my front end now?

thanks

doc

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

When are you expecting the nitro shock price to be set? Is this the only shock with optional remote preload adjuster?

Within the next couple days. It being Christmas/New Years, it can be hard to get a hold of folks. Even vendors like to party hearty.

The JRI design puts preload collars at both ends so the need for a remote is reduced. Elka does as well but interestingly doesn't offer the RPA on their FZ/FJ application while Hyperpro and Nitron do. Oversight, or just deemed superfluous?

Penske, Nitron, Ohlins are also dual-threaded while Bitubo, Hyperpro, and Wilburs are not.

An RPA generally adds $250-275 to the price. So if you constantly switch between varied load-outs it might justify the expense. I run a JRI so I set the baseline setting with the upper rings and then tweak using the lower.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the sale traxxion is having on their ak-20/penskee combo when I stumbled across this. I like the RPA and mounting location on the Nitron much better than the penskee and I assume shock performance is similar. How would you compare the forks-by-Matt and/or Andreani to the ak-20's?

'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

How would you compare the forks-by-Matt and/or Andreani to the ak-20's?
Bear in mind you'll have to forgive me for not being completely impartial. 
Performance-wise mine are equivalent to the AK-20. It's my experience (and if you search, you can find other reports that) Traxxion has a tendency to ship overly stiff valving. Great for the track, not as useful on the street. Both are better than Andreani. The 3-piston version of the Andreani does get close, however.

Elegance of parts (bling, overall craftsmanship) the AK-20 components are solidly ahead. The Andreani is inexpensive for a reason. The Kayaba/Yamaha bits are what they are and I still rank them better than Andreani. My solution uses the Yamaha caps so it looks totally stock. My in-house pistons are not quite on-par with Traxxion/Penske but handily beat Andreani and also Kayaba.

Choose Forks-by-Matt because I deliver performance on par with the AK-20 at $400 less. Go with Andreani for a reasonably priced commercial solution. Go AK-20 for no-holds barred cosmetics and performance (I do suggest requesting a softer shim config at time of purchase) albeit at a premium.

Personally I would pick the JRi shock family over the Penske or Nitron. Ohlins last. Things like RPA availability/location become tie-breakers. 

I can't blame someone for being slightly biased towards their own product, it means you take pride in it.  If I understand your other thread the intermediate package for forks by matt gives me compression adjustment and preload, but no rebound adjustment?  Do you have any pictures of how the JRI mounts the reservoir? That was part of my pet peeve with Penskee, I like Nitrons mounting bracket a lot more.

'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

I only add features, never take them away. The stock bike has rebound and that is maintained. It's just dramatically improved so it's useful! I'm sorry, I don't have a pic handy but never minded the rubber + strap method on any of my previous bikes. If you can find someone to do a little welding you can probably come up with something that suits your tastes and attaches via the passenger peg bolts.