Kentucky Lake / Hyw 232

javashot1

• Premium Member
I took advantage of great December weather yesterday - and left on a rambling "I wonder were that road goes?" ride.  Ended up at Land Between the Lakes National Park on Kentucky Lake in Middle Tennessee.

I had heard the Hwy 232 south was a good ride so I thought I'd try it.  It's about 30 miles of twisty switchbacks and has nice elevation changes (for around here anyway).  Great ride that I will repeat for sure.  

At the end of the highway I'd planned to turn east but I notice a sign for a ferry crossing. I didn't know one existed there so I went west a few miles to investigate.  It's called the Dancyville Ferry and it was in operation.  So for the steep price of $1.00 the bike and I got a trip across the lake.

4190647.jpg

4190669.jpg

The boat caption explained the history of the area a bit.  The lake was created when the TVA damned the Tennessee River to generate hydroelectric power.  There was a town here called Dancyville that was taken by eminent domain and flooded creating the lake.  It was a vibrant railroad town that's now at the bottom of the lake.  The only visual sign of the town is the old Railroad Granary.  The picture shows only the top 2 floors above water.  It was actually a 7 story building built in the 1920's. 

4190730.jpg

The captains hand really liked the FJ.  He mostly sees Harley's and has taken as many as 60 across at one time.

It was a great 300 mile tirp!

• Premium Member
You must have been in Australia.  The water is all above the sky!  (rofl)  
Only been up to LBL once, but I bet there's pletny of decent riding up there.

I don't know what to do about pics posting upside down...  It's an iPad issue because when I'm at work on my PC they are upside down - when viewing on my iPad they are right side up. I'm on the iPad most of the time for posting and viewing.  I guess Apple thinks upside down.  Sorry.

You must have been in Australia.  The water is all above the sky!  (rofl)  
Only been up to LBL once, but I bet there's pletny of decent riding up there.

I don't know what to do about pics posting upside down...  It's an iPad issue because when I'm at work on my PC they are upside down - when viewing on my iPad they are right side up. I'm on the iPad most of the time for posting and viewing.  I guess Apple thinks upside down.  Sorry.
And I thought you lived down under and were being funny.  ;)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived