Intermittent engine stall when downshifting

lhancock

• Premium Member
I know this is a common issue but it happened to me twice today and one of the times it locked up the rear on me before I realized what had happened.  Both times I wasn't in a position to look down for any error codes I just quickly hit the starter and continued on.  Is there a way to cycle through the last couple codes and maybe see whats going on?  It seems to be happening when going from 3rd to 2nd.

• Premium Member
You may have cause & effect mixed up.

If the rear wheel is locking up on down changes then the TCS/ABS is going to get excited and maybe cut the spark.

Perhaps you need to alter the way you ride? The Tracer/FJ is not a high revving 4 cylinder bike and everything happens at lower revs, with loads of mid-range torque. You can often be in a higher gear compared to a say a 100bhp, 600cc sports bike and use the torque to lug around a corner.

Try staying in 3rd longer...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the back locked up because I released the clutch after the engine had cut off ( I didn't hear the engine die over the wind noise) You could be right though It may be completely my fault. Its just odd because it usually happens when engine breaking toward a stop light. I've been riding pretty mildly each time its happened.

• 1 month later...
I have the same issue, I turned it into the dealer twice ( 2 different dealers ) and they could not duplicate the issue nor find the cause.
It is now at the dealer again with an order from General Yamaha headquarters. Again, they are trying to duplicate the issue, but it only happen once in a while. so I don't believe they can. all it is now is that I am missing the bike. (hope they finish already and bring it back)
Another issue I have is when park in the hot day in the sun, very hard to start it. anybody have the same issue?

1.18.2016      it is still at the dealer under consistent checking. 

all rider with this issue,  please call Yamaha at  800 962-7926  ASAP,  they need to know it is not only me to understand there should be a recall on it.

so far  I am the only one who complain to them and it is not good.

No repair,  they could not duplicate the problem.   I let them ride the bike over the weekend  for  over 50mile  but it just did not happen as it happen once in a blue moon.

I just had it happen yesterday and I am keeping all camera recorded when it happen.
here is the one from yesterday.
https://youtu.be/EajxALny_8Y

Archived