Custom molded earplugs/earbuds

• Premium Member
After an eight hour ride today I've decided I definitely need to get some better ear protection.  I believe I have the most wind noise prone helmet known to man.  I've used foam earplugs that do well but I'd like to have the option of listening to music.  Today I tried just using iPhone earbuds but I ended up having the music so loud it was just compounding the wind noise issue leaving me with a headache.  I've found products like fuze but they all seem to have pretty mixed reviews.  Whats everyone here happy with? 

...I've used foam earplugs that do well but I'd like to have the option of listening to music. 

I really like the Shure 215 and you will find a lot of the reviews for them on Amazon are people that ride motorcycles.  They don't stick "out" like most earbuds. They are flush with the ear.

http://i.imgur.com/ASQy2GE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AvJuQeJ.jpg

Amazon has the yellow foam ear plug tips that you roll up just like foam earplugs, but sound goes through the center
These yellow foam tips do not come with the 215's, but Shure sells them separately. they are the only thing that works for me.
the other (black) tips that come with it do not seal well enough - but the roll up yellow ones do.
The photo below shows my ear plugs, and the Shure foam tips that are = size and roll up the same.
Insert and they expand in ear like earplugs.

http://i.imgur.com/XMOx2Q0.jpg

The trick with the shure 215 is to get them seated well in the ear. It took me a while to get them positioned right, but I did figure it out.
I plug them into a Cardo Scala Rider QZ and it bluetooths to my phone. I can take calls, and hear the caller perfectly.

If you have a TIGHT helmet, you may need a "cap" thing to put on before the helmet to keep from pulling your ears off or jamming the headphones into your ear when pulling the helmet.
I find that a cap (freeze-out or whatever) keeps the earplugs "seated" without bumping them when put helmet on.

If the foam tips don't work for you, there are several companies that make custom molded earbuds for the Shure 215 like these people http://www.averysound.com/as.shure.html
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Premium Member
After an eight hour ride today I've decided I definitely need to get some better ear protection.  I believe I have the most wind noise prone helmet known to man.  I've used foam earplugs that do well but I'd like to have the option of listening to music.  Today I tried just using iPhone earbuds but I ended up having the music so loud it was just compounding the wind noise issue leaving me with a headache.  I've found products like fuze but they all seem to have pretty mixed reviews.  Whats everyone here happy with? 
I have two sets from Ultimate ear, one normal set with filters and a set with speakers for my Sena. They are expensive but work really well - in my opinion worth more than fiddling with new screens. There must be something similar in the US, but if not you can get impressions taken locally by an audiologist and they'll manufacture the plugs. I have the Sound Ears and the Filtered Plugs. I use them when flying also - very comfortable and you can sleep with them in.

Marilyn Navia from Plugup.com comes to the IMS motorcycle show in Chicago. I have had her make me a set of custom molded earspeakers, which I liked, but over time as your ear changes shape slightly the custom molded speakers do not seal as well. So I bought these and absolutely love them, even better than my custom molded ones. http://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_comfortable_canal_stereo_earbuds_p/s%2022-3.5-4.5.htm

I have the dual-driver ones and they sound way better than any other ear buds I've used, and they are super secure so they won't move when you're putting on your helmet. I use them when I run because standard earbuds will work their way loose, and I also use them on flights as they block out ambient noise.

One tip for any time you're keeping something in your ear for extended periods of time (like a multi-day motorcycle trip). Even custom molded ear plugs will irritate your ear, so a small dab of Neosporin applied to the earplug / earspeaker in the morning all but eliminates the irritation.

...I believe I have the most wind noise prone helmet known to man... 
Gotcha, and of course the first step is to ditch the helmet - regardless of what you paid for it. I had a loud helmet, then got a Shoei Quest. When you close all the vents, it was like night and day compared to my Bell Revolver (bad shield seal, and modular helmet gaps)

On my Shoei, I will occasionally use the feature where you clear condensation by move a lever that allows a bit of air in through the shield. The loud "jet engine whistle" reminds me of my old helmet every time. Close it, and the noise is GONE.

No helmet will get rid of the outer rush of air against the shell, but the starting point is no leaks to inside.  If it's hot, open the intended vents.

MUSIC - The Shure 215's sound great - but if I was doing it again I would get the custom fitted plugs. Either made for the Shure, or otherwise.
I was trying to save money. But by the time I experimented with bigger speakers for my helmet (and listen with ear plugs stuffed in ear) and various earbud options, I could have paid for custom fitted plugs.

On the other hand, if I knew what would work for me from the start, I would have saved a bit of money with my current Shure 215's and foam "roll up" ear plug tips. 
BUT I think the custom fit ones would be faster to insert, less fiddle with rolling the ends and getting them positioned just right. I would also prefer thinner wires going straight down (like these http://www.plugup.com/ ) rather than the massive Shure 215 wires that run over the top of the ear. When putting on a helmet, you have to put a thin cap on "skull cap" to avoid moving the Shure 215 wires. Or at least I do, my helmet fits tight.

EDIT - I see Badger also mentioned plugup.com - they seem to be highly regarded. I heard of them from another forum, very positive comments.

I picked up some custom plugs at a bike show, they had a deal on for the show. They had specials for in-ear monitors and earbuds as well. Go to your next local bike show if you can, you'll find something there.

FWIW, I LOVE my custom plugs. I can wear them all day long with zero discomfort. I can also have a conversation with them in. I'll never go back to foam plugs.

...So I bought these and absolutely love them, even better than my custom molded ones. http://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_comfortable_canal_stereo_earbuds_p/s%2022-3.5-4.5.htm
Really glad you posted that. Wish I had seen in before i got my Shure 215 - but I am going to get some of these as well.  
http://i.imgur.com/DqQZiE9.gif

I have tried a number of different ear buds etc and the best and cheapest option that I could come up with is a set of Radian ear molds (you mold them yourself) which are really easy to make. I then purchased a set of "airbuds" off ebay for next to nothing which are the ones that use small speakers attached to air tubes, with the air tubes relaying the sound to your ears. A bit of work with a small drill through the centre of the ear molds and I fitted the air tubes in. Work beautifully, great sound and block out all probably 90% of the wind noise on the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
OK my S-Plugs arrived yesterday and I rode with them today.

When I opened the box and started to place them in my ear, they didn't seem to fit until I followed the instructions

http://i.imgur.com/HAMHMoP.jpg

Wow that made a difference. I never thought about aiming ear plugs forward (rather than just "stick in ear").
Pulling the ear lobe back, angling the plug forward, they seat in quite deeply. 
It's true, virtually the only thing sticking out is the wire.

I got the "single driver" stereo earbuds to save money, and they still sound fantastic.
So much easier to insert and route the wire compared to the Shure 215's that have wire over the ear & in the way of putting on helmet.

I got the short 22 inch wire connector, and it is great for plugging into my Scala Rider bluetooth on side of helmet.
The Shure 215's come with about 4' of wire and you have to stuff it down your jacket.

The noise blocking is pretty good, and at least as good as the shure 215's with the ear tips that they come with - but not quite as good as the foam eartips that fit on the Shure 215's. But with the ease of use, FAST placement and zero fuss with the wires, I really prefer the S-plugs.

I will just keep the Shure 215's for long highway runs where I am really concerned about reducing the wind noise to absolute minimum. With my Shoei Quest it isn't that bad - with my earlier modular helmet it was a huge issue.

• Premium Member
I gave the Radian ear molds a shot and although they did make a difference I was still dealing with a good amount of wind noise. I eventually opted for fixing the overlying problem and replacing my 15 year old HJC helmet. I took advantage of the schuberth sales and purchased an S2 and the SRC-S neckroll. Its made a world of difference. I liken it to the difference between riding in a civic with your head out the window to riding in a lexus with the windows up. I find I dont even need the earplugs at all now. If i were to go the cheaper route I think I'd give the S-plugs a try. I just dont like things in my ears at all if I can help it.

...  I took advantage of the schuberth sales and purchased an S2 and the SRC-S neckroll. Its made a world of difference. ... I find I dont even need the earplugs at all now. 
Awesome. You may be a candidate for "helmet speakers" for music. 
I paid $80 for these Tork X-pro speakers a few weeks ago - used them twice and realized that there was no use in upgrading my Scala speakers if I was still using earplugs. But WITHOUT earplugs, these sound fantastic. I would sell them for half price, shipped.

http://i.imgur.com/4bbTGm0.jpg

• Premium Member
...  I took advantage of the schuberth sales and purchased an S2 and the SRC-S neckroll. Its made a world of difference. ... I find I dont even need the earplugs at all now. 
I paid $80 for these Tork X-pro speakers a few weeks ago - used them twice and realized that there was no use in upgrading my Scala speakers if I was still using earplugs. But WITHOUT earplugs, these sound fantastic. I would sell them for half price, shipped.

So do these get as loud as the stock Scala speakers? I heard they may not be as loud. I need an additional set for my Scena SMH10 units, so I can switch between my in ear monitor plugs and speakers.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

So do these get as loud as the stock Scala speakers? I heard they may not be as loud. I need an additional set for my Scena SMH10 units, so I can switch between my in ear monitor plugs and speakers.

Sena kit is available and you can get their speakers separately, mine are good. I see that Sena is developing their own helmet with integrated BT and speakers with active noise reduction. Might be interesting. I have a Bose headset with active noise reduction and it is very effective on an airplane.

Archived