Quiet Helmet

onsite

I also have a Schuberth helmet and love the fit of it (have previous always bought Shark as they fit my melon shape better).

Is much quieter than the Shark but I still get buffeting and noise from the screen (which I will look for address in the future).

Had to purchase a new mounting plate for the Scala G9 I use as the standard mount doesn't fit in the position further back due to the visor slider.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Similar riding profile 6'2" I have the Parabellum Tall windscreen which helped tremendously with the noise. [span][/span]I am riding with a HJC and just not happy with it.  I have an older ARAI from 2004 I pulled out but think I will prefer the S2 over it.

@smokeout I tried the modular helmet and found it had less room to close the front on my large melon! XXL

May have an ARAI and HJC for sale soon, lol

• Premium Member
I'm currently using a Shoei RF1200 and it's pretty good. My HJC that I was using prior was very noisy in comparison. I also got a pair of 'motorsport' ear plugs that do a good job of reducing wind noise while leaving most environmental sounds still audible at a reduced level. IE: I can still hear cars around me.

I don't wear the ear plugs for short rides around town or riding under 55mph. I should also disclose that I completely removed the wind shield and ride around without one. Interstate riding or 70mph+ can be noisy and I wear the ear plugs for that.

Ear plugs every time I ride. Get the helmet that is most comfortable and the best fit. I think the best ventilated helmets would be on the noisier side but that feature I am not willing to give up.

I never thought about using my Bose QC20 on the road, so I tried it yesterday. The earphones just about fit under my helmet but I think the slight pressure from the helmet makes them move a little bit so they are not perfectly placed which reduces their efficiency. Still, the wind noise was reduced to an almost reasonable level. It also reduces the engine noise and that is a shame. But unfortunately I had the loud popping noises, a sort of angry blip on sudden pressure changes. Bumps in the road (and they're everywhere), crossing cars, side winds all caused that horrible scream in my ears. So not an option.

I'm back to looking for a good combination of windscreen and helmet. I use a Schuberth C3 Pro which is supposed to be quiet. But it isn't for me, at least not on my bikes (Tracer and Buell Ulysses). I rode a VFR800 recently and the C3 was incredible on that bike. On the Tracer, if I put my hand just under the chin the noise is reduced considerably. I can't ride with my hand up, I guess I need to find a screen that brings the air flow much higher. Or get a new helmet...

On the Tracer, if I put my hand just under the chin the noise is reduced considerably. I can't ride with my hand up, I guess I need to find a screen that brings the air flow much higher. Or get a new helmet...
I have seen reported here and elsewhere - but regret I cannot recall specific details - some kind of temporary 'insert' that goes into the helmet just below chin level that has the same effect.   I'll look into it and post anything I find.  If you think about it, the opening of any helmet below the chin is quite large and obviously permits a lot of noise to travel through and upwards.   Have you tried custom ear-plugs - much cheaper (and probably more effective) than a new screen/ helmet?  
LATER EDIT/ ADDITION...
On E Bay Motors (motorcycle accessories) I just found what I mentioned earlier – AUD$33 post-free from the UK.   Pic below - ebay.com.au/itm/Neoprene-Helmet-Skirt-Wind-Noise-Reducer-Motorcycle-Moto-Casque-/292045267556

Another similarly-intended item that popped-up was a Shoei Whisper Strip – AUD$68.   It looked a bit more substantial but also maybe at first glance a little more intrusive. Take a look at both… or others...

P1030943.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I notice a very soft popping sound that is not objectionable. Using the QC 20 eliminates all of the wind noise and is far better for me than any of the foam or other type of earplugs. I don't mind the reduction of the exhaust sound. I formerly had the Akrapovic TI and switched back to stock because it was too loud for me at highway speeds.

So, some QC20s work just fine and others are unusable. That's disappointing.

Custom ear-plugs are definitely on my shopping list. But its takes a while to get them done and I have a long trip coming next week. I'm looking at anything I can do in such a short time.

I've just ordered that neoprene helmet-skirt. At £9.50 it's worth a try. It is meant for full face helmets, so with my flip-up helmet I will have to put this thing on first, then the helmet and try to slip the wind skirt on. I'll see if it works.

Yannm, the regular earplugs made of rubber that you can buy from any hardware store work really well for construction workers using jack hammers! They may be even better than custom and I use them for total noise reduction on long rides. They are cheap and instantly available for your trip.

• Premium Member
Don't start any trip with new unused equipment!! The voice of experience speaking.
Just my $.02 worth.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I've just ordered that neoprene helmet-skirt. At £9.50 it's worth a try. It is meant for full face helmets, so with my flip-up helmet I will have to put this thing on first, then the helmet and try to slip the wind skirt on. I'll see if it works.
Let us all know how it works for you...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yannm, the regular earplugs made of rubber that you can buy from any hardware store work really well for construction workers using jack hammers! They may be even better than custom and I use them for total noise reduction on long rides. They are cheap and instantly available for your trip.
I'll grab a few different kinds of ear-plugs before going. Maybe I'll find something that works for me. I've not had much luck with plugs so far. I've tried several foam ones but they either don't stay in place very long or they form an air bubble that resonates. I also have some reusable motorcycle-specific earplugs, Noisezz (very efficient but they are too hard and hurt like mad after a short while), Alpine MotoSafe (not bad at all if they stay in place, which they usually don't), and maybe more that I forgot about. 

Don't start any trip with new unused equipment!! The voice of experience speaking. Just my $.02 worth.
Good advice but I don't think I can follow it. ;)  I am going next week with whatever I have whether it is field-tested or not. The bike itself is barely 3 weeks old so I don't really know what it's going to be like. I'll have to improvise if things don't go quite as planned. 
My trip is not a huge adventure anyway. I won't be back home for at least of month but if I manage to get to the south of France in 5 to 7 days, following definitely-not-the-shortest route, then I can try to find solutions. From there I'll be taking shorter trips (thinking about the Bol d'Or 24hrs race) until it is time to go back.

I always advise people not to look too hard for a difficult or expensive solution when a very cheap one is close at hand. I buy pockets full of orange foam earplugs at the hardware store and they work great. For me this problem was solved for less than a buck. When they get dirty, throw them away. Esperance is giving you some very good advice!

Archived