Traded my FJ-09 in for a 2015 Super Tenere

freebooter

• Premium Member
The FJ09 would be well over 200kg with a shaft drive, which would make it less attractive for me
I think the FJ is already over 200kg... 215kg wet, right? Or do I have my conversion off?

I'd tolerate a slight weight increase for shaft drive, but not much. Like you, I ultimately preferred the light weight of the FJ to the shaft drive of the Super Ten. I can dream though...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think most of the extra weight of the Sup Ten is from that larger 1200 engine and perhaps a larger frame too. But if my FJ-09 had a shaft drive I'd kept it forever.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• Premium Member
The Moto Guzzi V7 is, what, 430lbs sopping wet? It has shaft drive and six gallons of fuel capacity. Of course it also has only about 45hp. But still, it's clearly possible to have shaft drive without bloating to 250kg.

Kethu, imho W today's technology I see no reason why all street bikes don't have shaft drives. I have seen shaft drives that are not big n bulky, just a slim rod.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• Premium Member
I see Yamaha are now quoting wet weight including a full fuel tank - Tracer is listed at 210kg on the EU website, so sub 200kg with an empty tank which is what they were using a year ago.

The Super Tenere is 247kg with a full tank - in full fat ZE trim it is 265kg FFS.

Plus with the S10, the centre of gravity is higher so you really notice it at low speed or when moving it on my very slightly sloping drive.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I had a S10 as well. Great bike but to heavy for me.
There was someone here that had trouble with wind buffeting on the S10.
Put a little wind advisor screen on the top of the original screen. It did the job for me.
Almost to good because when it rained it got foggy inside the helmets visor. I had to stand up a lot
to let the wind into the helmet when that occured.

I had a chance to ride the Super-T, I liked the fact that you could change the suspension on the fly. I put many KM on a very heavy Honda Varadero and I am done with heavy bikes for now, I like my middle weight FJ.
Enjoy your adventure touring baby.

Yep, if I had it to do over I'd kept my FJ-09. I got the Sup Ten for long distance travelling. .

• Premium Member
Yep, if I had it to do over I'd kept my FJ-09. I got the Sup Ten for long distance travelling. .
I rode my FJ-09 over 3000 miles in 8 days. It does really well at long distance travelling.
How far are you talking Freebooter?
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

But not having to hassle with a chain, worrying about grit in it after I lube it when I have to ride over some sandy dirt parking lot, etc makes the driveshaft alone worth it. Lol!

you don't need to lubricated modern o-ring chains - the lube is sealed inside

• Premium Member
I don't get the appeal of shaft drive. Heavier. Robs horsepower. Not really user serviceable. Induces weird lateral torque sensations and driveline lash. In the rare event of chain failure in a trip, any local shop can put you back on the road in an hour for about a $100. If the shaft drive fails, I'd hate to see how much it would cost, and how long you would wait to get one from Yamaha. It takes months just to get a clutch cable or heated grips. I don't mind putting on new sprockets and chain every 20k or so.

All that said, I would not rule out owning a shafty if all other characteristics of the bike really appealed to me. I'm sure I would enjoy a Tenere.

My 990 Adventure and my FJ-09 are a good complimentary pair for me right now. I'm kinda missing the 450 I sold a year ago, but I'm too old and beat up for that action any more.

Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

• Premium Member
But not having to hassle with a chain, worrying about grit in it after I lube it when I have to ride over some sandy dirt parking lot, etc makes the driveshaft alone worth it. Lol! 

you don't need to lubricated modern o-ring chains - the lube is sealed inside
I've ridden thousands of miles in sand dunes with chain drive and never had one fail. 
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

I rode my FJ-09 over 3000 miles in 8 days. It does really well at long distance travelling. How far are you talking Freebooter?
Agreed. I did 3,000 miles in 10 days, including one 550 mile day. The FJ-09 in an excellent one-up sport touring bike for me (55 yo, reasonably fit.)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived