Looking to get an FJ-09, but...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7500 km on my FJ and she has been nothing but noble. I have ridden in rain, heat and cold. I have waken up and had to knock ice off of it and it started up like a champ. I use to ride only Hondas for the reliability, but I feel as comfortable 900 km from home with my Yamaha FJ09 as would with a Honda.

I've only had honda bikes so I'm so used to their reliability. Love my CB500X but it just doesn't have enough power/torque 

traction control keeps the front wheel on the ground by cutting engine power. That's what TCS does on all vehicles (modulates power when differences in wheel speed are detected). You can turn it off and wheelie all you want. I've not heard of power being cut while maintaining a constant speed on a clean surface, other than the obvious, running out of fuel.
Traction control is one thing, but people were saying the engine literally would shut off and not turn back on so they'd have to grab the clutch and coast to a stop. This is not normal 
Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/2802/looking-get-fj-09?page=1#ixzz3uP8MRJjk

I see you've linked back to the OP. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to gather from that. I don't recall coming across an instance of an FJ-09 owner reporting what you are describing. I've heard people describe TCS as the engine cutting out. I'm not saying I didn't miss it, I just don't recall. Do you have a link to that thread? I'd love to know if there was a disposition on that issue. I'd also like to make sure it was an actual issue instead of a "someone said someone else had that problem" hearsay type of thing. Disclaimer, my memory isn't always the best. There's a 20-30% chance that if that thread exists I've posted on it. Lol.

ohhhh, thats not what i consider my engine cutting out..... thats traction control. Engine cutting is sudden engine braking damn near throwing you off the bike until you pull the clutch. No?

traction control keeps the front wheel on the ground by cutting engine power. That's what TCS does on all vehicles (modulates power when differences in wheel speed are detected). You can turn it off and wheelie all you want. I've not heard of power being cut while maintaining a constant speed on a clean surface, other than the obvious, running out of fuel.
I've not seen an instance of an owner reporting that. Have you? Help me out with a link please. I've heard of traction control described as cutting the engine power though. Certainly normal for TCS. Admittedly a bad way to describe it. That was certainly one of the items I certainly didn't recall happening.

hmmm, I wasnt aware of that either.I have had an engine suddenly stop. Usually due to my stupidity in not filling the gas tank ;)

I only have about 700 on the bike so far so I hope to not have any of these issues. But every motor vehicle has both structural issues (bad design) and individual issues (manufacturing errors). Out of the thousands of these bikes made a few will have problems, just like every other vehicle. I have had a couple issues with my Yamaha's, but thats the trade off in my mind. Its a ratio of performance to reliability. My v strom was rock solid, but lacking in high performance. If my FJ has a couple issues thats because Yamaha gets every drop of GO out of its bikes.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Looking to get an FJ-09, but from what I've been reading here there seems to be a lot of issues and recalls with these. Things like clutch cables snapping every couple thousand miles, ABS acting funny, engines randomly cutting out at speed, and things like that kind of freaks me out a bit. My current bike is pretty bullet proof and hasnt had a single issue in the 10k miles I've put on it this season, so it makes it harder to give up that peace of mind for something that seems more unpredictable. Are these bikes generally reliable? I really love the style and everything they offer, so I hope it's something I would be happy with in the long run. Is there anything I should look out for when it comes time to purchase one?
8000 miles and the bike just RUNS! NO issues, NO problems. It is dead on reliable like every Yamaha I've ever owned. One recall and I'm thankful for Yamaha stepping up. BTW - I never heard of ANY reported failures of the recalled shift shaft. Any issues you've read about are "over represented" which is common on forums.  
Now that I've slapped the karma queen in the face, I return you to your regular programming. (finding a large piece of wood to knock). 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Clutch cables are much cheaper than BMW final drives. Neither of my BMW's final drives blew up but many did. Both BMWs had a couple recalls each, for much more serious problems than the FJ's shift shaft. On the second I got the front rotors replaced under warranty after they warped badly.

No vehicle (or any product more complex than a toaster) is 100% trouble free for 100% of shipped units.

I have just clocked 10,000 km, I ride everyday rain or shine. No problem with mine, before the clutch cable snap, I changed to a R1 cable. Other then that the bike is perfect. I just installed a O2 controller and after market exhaust. I enjoy my ride everyday.

hmmm, I wasnt aware of that either.I have had an engine suddenly stop. Usually due to my stupidity in not filling the gas tank ;) 
I only have about 700 on the bike so far so I hope to not have any of these issues. But every motor vehicle has both structural issues (bad design) and individual issues (manufacturing errors). Out of the thousands of these bikes made a few will have problems, just like every other vehicle. I have had a couple issues with my Yamaha's, but thats the trade off in my mind. Its a ratio of performance to reliability. My v strom was rock solid, but lacking in high performance. If my FJ has a couple issues thats because Yamaha gets every drop of GO out of its bikes.
ive not had it happen to me, but a guy I worked with told me a story once. He had an old bike where the key was exposed to the wind. He said he was messing around on a backroad going too fast and the wind had caught and turned the key to the off position. From then on he thought of it as his bike's speed limiter. Lol

Looking to get an FJ-09, but from what I've been reading here there seems to be a lot of issues and recalls with these. Things like clutch cables snapping every couple thousand miles, ABS acting funny, engines randomly cutting out at speed, and things like that kind of freaks me out a bit. My current bike is pretty bullet proof and hasnt had a single issue in the 10k miles I've put on it this season, so it makes it harder to give up that peace of mind for something that seems more unpredictable. Are these bikes generally reliable? I really love the style and everything they offer, so I hope it's something I would be happy with in the long run. Is there anything I should look out for when it comes time to purchase one?
With 25,552 miles on the bike day before yesterday (I went for a ride) and the only issue I have had is the chain went at around 14,000 miles.  For the first 6K I went back to the dealer and complained about engine noise.  It sounded like it was going to fall apart.  Still sounds like that but it runs great going down the road, its a motorcycle, I just had to get used to it.  I'm looking at the valve check soon, and maybe brake pads.  I will wait for 50K to mess with new suspension as it is working okay for me, but I only wear off the michelin man and the D> indents on the edges and leave most of the tread on the sides.  No problem with clutch cable, ABS, cutting out of the engine at speed, only problem has been a high speed (104) wobble while shifting to 4th coming out of a corner, but I'm now blaming the tires (Dunlop Roadsmart 2s).  To be fair, I haven't had another case of the wobbles, but then I don't shift into 4th coming out of corners doing 104 anymore with these tires.  The bike need very little attention, other than lubing, washing, waxing and figuring out which windscreen works for you, what kind of luggage you like and want, what kind of seat works for you (stocker works for me).  I pulled the handguards off because my custom windscreen got in the way and the windscreen was more important.  Hey, it is a Yamaha, and I  can say from my experiences that you most likely will not have problems other than wear and tear.  Of course a certain % do, so think positively and most likely you won't.  If you like the bike and it fits, get it. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Clutch cables are much cheaper than BMW final drives. Neither of my BMW's final drives blew up but many did. Both BMWs had a couple recalls each, for much more serious problems than the FJ's shift shaft. On the second I got the front rotors replaced under warranty after they warped badly. 
No vehicle (or any product more complex than a toaster) is 100% trouble free for 100% of shipped units.

True. If it's got tires or tits, it's going to cost ya!!!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Traction control is one thing, but people were saying the engine literally would shut off and not turn back on so they'd have to grab the clutch and coast to a stop. This is not normal 

I see you've linked back to the OP. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to gather from that. I don't recall coming across an instance of an FJ-09 owner reporting what you are describing. I've heard people describe TCS as the engine cutting out. I'm not saying I didn't miss it, I just don't recall. Do you have a link to that thread? I'd love to know if there was a disposition on that issue. I'd also like to make sure it was an actual issue instead of a "someone said someone else had that problem" hearsay type of thing. Disclaimer, my memory isn't always the best. There's a 20-30% chance that if that thread exists I've posted on it. Lol. 

Didn't mean to link to anything haha, not even sure how it got there...still trying to figure out how to use this site, it's much different than Reddit which is what I'm used to. Here is the thread I was reading http://fj-09.org/thread/1967/engine-shut-off

Archived