Cold weather gear

What do you guys use for cold weather gear? I wear my Icon jacket with a waterproof windbreaker over it, waterproof insulated gloves. Up top is always warm even in 30* or less weather, but man do my legs get COLD!

Looking for suggestions on good overpants. Prefer something that is also a windbreaker and waterproof.

What do you guys use for cold weather gear? I wear my Icon jacket with a waterproof windbreaker over it, waterproof insulated gloves. Up top is always warm even in 30* or less weather, but man do my legs get COLD!  
Looking for suggestions on good overpants. Prefer something that is also a windbreaker and waterproof.
I'm in the same boat, looking for new riding pants.  I'm leaning towards the Aerostich Utility pants. 

I'm in the same boat, looking for new riding pants.  I'm leaning towards the Aerostich Utility pants. 

I would recommend Tourmaster Overpants.  They run around $150 and do a great job.  Now, if you have the bread, get the Aerostich, as I have never found anyone that wasn't happy with then.  Aerostich will adjust if they don't get it right on the first try, I believe.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Heated grips, muffs & Keis waistcoat for the cold.

Rukka Suit (bought secondhand) for keeping the wet out and decent protection if I go tarmac bothering.

I also have a Hein Gericke all season jacket that is excellent but you won't find one of these now as HG went bust and the replacement stopped using Goretex.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Aerostich Roadcrafter and a FirstGear heated liner here. When temps drop near freezing I turn up the FirstGear liner a little over 50%. I'm afraid to turn it up higher, it gets pretty warm.

Hi guys
here in New Zealand winter gets down to -5deg c I use a AEG battery heated jacket (in the States they are Milwalkee heated jackets I think) under a dri rider alpine touring jacket warm space battery heated gloves and always wear thermals and wind proof over trousers by Mobig

I would recommend Tourmaster Overpants.  They run around $150 and do a great job.  Now, if you have the bread, get the Aerostich, as I have never found anyone that wasn't happy with then.  Aerostich will adjust if they don't get it right on the first try, I believe.
I looked up those Tourmaster pants, and they suffer from the same design flaw as the Aerostich AD-1 pants: They both have full length zippers on the leg.  After reading a couple of crash report reviews where the zipper blew open whilst pavement surfing, I would rather lose the convenience of easy on/off and gain the enhanced crash protection. The Aerostich Utility pants are the same basic pants, without the zipper, or belt, (which is available seperately), or reflective bits on the leg. 
They aren't cheap, but decent gear rarely is.  I'm still wearing my Vanson leather jacket from the 1990's.  Buy it right and buy it once.

But clearly, that's a personal decision, and many in the market have felt otherwise.

This morning it was 36 degrees.  Two pairs of long johns under overpants and Gerbings heated gloves kept me comfy.

As far as zippered legs on overpants, I am not worried about the zipper exploding.  I've been down a few times (not bragging) and never have had a problem with the zipper, just make sure you have hard armour in the knee area.  IMHO jeans, even draggin jeans are not crashworthy

I use FirstGear Kilamanjaro pants and jacket with the thermal liners and they are pretty good.
However, I don't get to minus degrees where I live but still down to 2degC and they are pretty good with Ice Breaker Merino thermals underneath.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived