Bogging down between 4000-5000 RPM 4th 5th or 6th gear

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can give some advise.I noticed this 2 weeks ago but it seems to be getting worse.
Between 4-5k rpm in 6th gear just cruising occasionally the bike will start sputtering (bogging down) and feel like its running out of gas.  You can move the throttle up by 5-700 rpm and it will lurch slightly and come out of the sputtering (bogging) and be ok for a few min. 250 mile round trip today and it was doing it the whole time.If I down shift into 5th keeping my rpm above 5k it would not do it.Its so hard to explain it...... It reminds me of and old school throttle cable getting stuck in a certain spot. But I know that's not the case. I attempted to just not move my throttle at all when it started to do it and I went from 75 mph to 40 before I gave it a little gas to get out of it.
Any ideas ? I'm currently at 7500 miles on the bike.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Premium Member
Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can give some advise.I noticed this 2 weeks ago but it seems to be getting worse. Between 4-5k rpm in 6th gear just cruising occasionally the bike will start sputtering (bogging down) and feel like its running out of gas.  You can move the throttle up by 5-700 rpm and it will lurch slightly and come out of the sputtering (bogging) and be ok for a few min. 250 mile round trip today and it was doing it the whole time.If I down shift into 5th keeping my rpm above 5k it would not do it.Its so hard to explain it...... It reminds me of and old school throttle cable getting stuck in a certain spot. But I know that's not the case. I attempted to just not move my throttle at all when it started to do it and I went from 75 mph to 40 before I gave it a little gas to get out of it.
Any ideas ? I'm currently at 7500 miles on the bike.
I wonder if the flash you had done did something? I got a flash map for an M4 slipon that caused me just that problem. I then downloaded the graves full exhaust map and the problem went away. Any idea which map you had installed? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I had my ecu flashed to my akrapovic with "insert in" after having the power commander installed. 
My power commander was Zeroed out (since it was useless anyway) after the ecu flash. But the kicker is I have not had any problems at all until lately. Been running the bike for the last 5k miles with no problems at all.

I just dropped the bike off at the dealer since my warranty is almost up. I'm having them uninstall the power commander and check it out.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Premium Member
I had my ecu flashed to my akrapovic with "insert in" after having the power commander installed.  My power commander was Zeroed out (since it was useless anyway) after the ecu flash. But the kicker is I have not had any problems at all until lately. Been running the bike for the last 5k miles with no problems at all.

I just dropped the bike off at the dealer since my warranty is almost up. I'm having them uninstall the power commander and check it out.
Maybe critters in your air filter? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I would return the bike back to original spec. I would lay money on it being something with your mods that is causing the problem.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I had my ecu flashed to my akrapovic with "insert in" after having the power commander installed.  My power commander was Zeroed out (since it was useless anyway) after the ecu flash. But the kicker is I have not had any problems at all until lately. Been running the bike for the last 5k miles with no problems at all.

It certainly sounds like you have a fueling issue in that particular spot on the map.

Why it didn't show itself until now, is harder to answer. Has the weather changed recently, more humid or colder than normal? Did you buy your fuel from a different place? Are you running 91 octane as recommended? Where abouts do you live in the world and do they switch to a winter blend of gas (in my neck of the woods, they switch to a "winter blend "of gas which generally drops gas mileage and power of the machine in trade for starting in extreme cold)

If you've re-flashed the ECU, then the PC V can still be used to adjust the fueling. If it is zeroed out and the timing table is also zeroed out, then it is effectively doing nothing. But if the PCV is disconnected from the bike and the problem goes away, then obviously it was causing your problem in some way.

As Wessie mentioned, removing your mods one by one will get to the bottom of this issue.

But FYI - the PCV can still be used to adjust the fueling on a flashed ECU. They are definitely not useless.

Skip

• Premium Member
Is it possible you got some bad gas? Maybe try a different fuel station. I had some slight bogging recently after buying gas at a station I don't normally use. I went to a different place on the next tank and the bogging disappeared.

Thanks guys :) I know the mechanic at the shop and he will be looking at it. The RPM range at which it happens makes me believe that it's not gas. I use super always. In East Texas. I'm having the power commander removed and he is going to give it a good looking over. I will let you guys know what I found out.

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

• Premium Member
I bought Super from a Mobil station which I assumed would be fine, but I had bogging and poor fuel economy that tank. I refilled at Chevron and the problems went away.

You're probably right that it's something else. I just thought I'd throw gas out there as an idea.

• 4 weeks later...
UPDATE*********

Ok he said it called for new spark plugs so he changed those. Bike doesn't call for air filter change for like 25k miles (he said) but it was in really bad shape. So we changed that.
Uninstalled the power commander. Test ride all is well.

So what was the problem ?
Well could have been plugs, air filter or Power commander not sure which as long as its running fine now....... I'm cool.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Archived