Break in

Being an old retired aircraft mechanic/tech/pilot I learned (was taught) long ago that approx. 70% of engine wear comes in the first 5 seconds of engine start (gravity takes its toll and oil settles in low spots). Back in the days of reciprocating engines warm up was very important, you didn't do anything until oil temp was in the "green" zone. Today with high tech oils and engines, warm up is not so much a factor (still a factor in aviation) as a matter of fact sitting too long at idle could do harm to your motorcycle engine (shorten life of cat converter and blue your pipes are a couple examples). I would say the least you can do (first start of the day) is start your bike and then put on your gear this will give your oil alittle time to do its thing. On this same note, if the owners manual gives break in procedures it should be followed, their engineers know better than anyone how their product is built (tolerances) and what is best for the long run.
Its your bike do what pleases you.

having said all of that, I usually start whatever bike Im riding, put on my helmet and gloves to give the motor a minute or two to come to temperature, then take off.     If it's my CB400F, I wait a few more minute to let the head really warm up, then off like a prom dress

Yup, that's exactly what I do too. Start bike, put on helmet, put on gloves, back her out, ease out of the parkade, then go. I rode for about 30 minutes yesterday, and the temp didn't even get past 100. Couldn't imagine waiting until 107. Granted, maybe everyone is talking about Fahrenheit? ;) 

having said all of that, I usually start whatever bike Im riding, put on my helmet and gloves to give the motor a minute or two to come to temperature, then take off.     If it's my CB400F, I wait a few more minute to let the head really warm up, then off like a prom dress

Yup, that's exactly what I do too. Start bike, put on helmet, put on gloves, back her out, ease out of the parkade, then go. I rode for about 30 minutes yesterday, and the temp didn't even get past 100. Couldn't imagine waiting until 107. Granted, maybe everyone is talking about Fahrenheit? ;)
Absolutely no reason to sit with a bike idling for more than just a minute. The key is ride it gently at low rpms for the first couple miles. That's what I've always done on all the couple dozen bikes I've owned. 

Being an old retired aircraft mechanic/tech/pilot I learned (was taught) long ago that approx. 70% of engine wear comes in the first 5 seconds of engine start (gravity takes its toll and oil settles in low spots). Back in the days of reciprocating engines warm up was very important, you didn't do anything until oil temp was in the "green" zone. Today with high tech oils and engines, warm up is not so much a factor (still a factor in aviation) as a matter of fact sitting too long at idle could do harm to your motorcycle engine (shorten life of cat converter and blue your pipes are a couple examples). I would say the least you can do (first start of the day) is start your bike and then put on your gear this will give your oil alittle time to do its thing. On this same note, if the owners manual gives break in procedures it should be followed, their engineers know better than anyone how their product is built (tolerances) and what is best for the long run. Its your bike do what pleases you.
Spot on advice. I've been riding mostly ducatis for nearly two decades. I'd always marvel at the guys who'd buy the top line ducs and completely ignore the break-in because some of the resident forum experts had seen websites advising "ride it like you stole it" from the first mile to get the valves to seat properly, etc. Just crazy. I always went pretty strictly by break-in procedures with never an issue. 

Spot on advice. I've been riding mostly ducatis for nearly two decades. I'd always marvel at the guys who'd buy the top line ducs and completely ignore the break-in because some of the resident forum experts had seen websites advising "ride it like you stole it" from the first mile to get the valves to seat properly, etc. Just crazy. I always went pretty strictly by break-in procedures with never an issue.
Hey now, don't judge. Maybe they DID steal it :D 

Guest eatpasta
 Today with high tech oils and engines, warm up is not so much a factor (still a factor in aviation) as a matter of fact sitting too long at idle could do harm to your motorcycle engine
 There was at least one instance that I know of where a BMW owner started his GS to let it warm up and went in the house.  When he came back a few minutes later (im sure it was more than that....) the bike was on FIRE.

The heat from the header had warped the sight glass on the side of the motor, popped out and the pipes lit the oil on fire.

• 3 weeks later...
I hate tyoing on the god damn wirk phone/android.
:D :D :D  Thought you had been on the sauce, for a moment..lol 
I try to keep below the recommended max rpm's but constant acceleration and deceleration, people
in their cages must think i am crazy. ;)

Dont forget that all engines are run on the bench so i doubt you can fcuk it up to much, but you want
it to produce maximum power dont you!

It says Max sustained. Your not gonna hurt a thing winding it up a little. I've romped it hard several times just don't hang it out. Dropped the oil and filter at 500 miles and loaded up the Mobil 1. Riding it normal now. Give it a minute or so to warm up and off I go. My old NSR 250 and my airboat get a completely different warm up but modern 4 strokes don't need 5 minutes of idling to come up acceptable temps.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
My dealer just tells everyone to basically find the twistiest road you can find and ride it- the kind of road with the 15 mph turns and such. Or put 300 miles of city riding on it. Its the accelerating that does the breaking in.  
My break in route-
Redding to Platina

Cthruu  - that is one sweet break in route.  Do you head out to Red Bluff on 36?36, 3, 96, 299 - perhaps the sweetest collection of roads I know.  I try to get up there at least once a year.  Hope the FJ is as fun up there as my Daytona. But on topic - I agree vary the rpms as much as possible, avoid steady throttle and change oil frequently.
This will be my break in route:  https://goo.gl/maps/XQzlf
Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
This should be fun - breaking the motor in, bedding the brake pads and scrubbing in the fresh tires on a twisty road all at the same time. What could go wrong? ;>)
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My dealer just tells everyone to basically find the twistiest road you can find and ride it- the kind of road with the 15 mph turns and such. Or put 300 miles of city riding on it. Its the accelerating that does the breaking in.  
My break in route-
Redding to Platina

Cthruu  - that is one sweet break in route.  Do you head out to Red Bluff on 36?36, 3, 96, 299 - perhaps the sweetest collection of roads I know.  I try to get up there at least once a year.  Hope the FJ is as fun up there as my Daytona. But on topic - I agree vary the rpms as much as possible, avoid steady throttle and change oil frequently.
This will be my break in route:  https://goo.gl/maps/XQzlf
Cheers

Headed up there for my annual weekend in two short weeks.  I will be on all of those roads and others.  A great place to ride.  But don't tell everyone!  It will get too crowded!!

Archived