Really Dumb Akrapovic Question

kstrongsyj

Revzilla got me with their one day sale on Akrapovic :)  So this weekend i finally installed that system, K&N, Graves block off and power commander! (I have been collecting parts)

How do I get the DB Insert out?  I got  the bolt out (it had a tack weld on it) but I can't figure out how to get the insert without damaging it.  Thanks in advance.

Revzilla got me with their one day sale on Akrapovic :)  So this weekend i finally installed that system, K&N, Graves block off and power commander! (I have been collecting parts) 

How do I get the DB Insert out?  I got  the bolt out (it had a tack weld on it) but I can't figure out how to get the insert without damaging it.  Thanks in advance.
I heard they were no longer making them removable because taking out the insert actually decreased the horsepower. I could be wrong on the first part but I'm pretty certain that taking it out decreases the power.

• Premium Member

I heard they were no longer making them removable because taking out the insert actually decreased the horsepower. I could be wrong on the first part but I'm pretty certain that taking it out decreases the power.
Yep as from 2wd here http://fj-09.org/thread/1888/fj-09-akrapovic-ti-exhuast 
Hate I missed the zila sale, how much did you save?

You can remove it, but it is difficult to do on the bike. The screw that they use has a soft head, and a shallow engagement. Even slight misalignment will strip the head. You need to sit the muffler on the bench, and gently tap the hex key into the head to make sure it is fully engaged. Then deliver a sharp turn on the hex key to snap the tiny spot weld. It frees up quite easily. Put some anti-seize on the thread before replacing it.

Whilst you have the muffler on the bench, you will need to extract the baffle, it doesn't come easy. I used an Aluminium drift from the other end to free up the insert. Once it is removed, you will see that it has another disc about half way down that the 3 pipes go through. linish/grind off a small amount from the diameter of this disc (about 0.5mm off the OD), and it makes it easy to slip the insert in and out. Put some anti-seize on the inside of the 3 small pipes. By doing this, it helps maintenance in the future when it will eventually need a re-pack.

In all honesty, you will only ride the bike once with no baffle inserted. It is loud to the point of being obnoxious, and people will look at you like you are a massive tool. It also shoots a very long flame on overrun, and (in Australia) we are in bushfire season, so I wouldn't want to be the one to send an ember into some dry grass.

Archived