• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Renthal Handlebars

Thanks fjindy for posting this and 2ballde for the measurements. This looks like the answer for my wrist troubles. I can't find 'streetfighter' model at Renthals site. I see a 'street low' bar but the measurements don't seem to be describing the bar we see in pictures here if the 'stock' measurements presented here are right. OP says the sweep is greater that stock by about an inch (25mm) but if stock sweep is 55mm then 'street low' sweep would be about 80mm, right? I know its hard to measure something like this and I'm not dissin anyone's measuring technique. I appreciate the work put in here. I just want to be sure I know what I'm ordering.

I like the pictures, it would allow my hands to move in the direction of goodness for comfort.

Any further clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OK, disregard previous post. My computer would load the fatbar page last week. Now I see the 'street fighter' model and I'm interested in the 'street naked' model too. A little more pull back with that one but a more width. Probably will go with the street fighter given its proven history on the FJ-09.

I went for a full morning ride today, and am coming into agreement on this need for more sweep on the bars. Looking at the Rental site I'm tending to agree with snowflake that the Street Naked bar might be even better than the Fighter. Looking at the pictures from fjindy, the Fighter bar doesn't look to be all that much more sweep. But it is hard to tell form the pics. Fjindy, do you think the naked bar would work? Looks to have more room for the grips and gear on each side by a little bit, but I'm not sure about all the other stuff. Comments anyone?

I'm getting ready to ride cross country, so I have to make a choice pretty quickly here.

I'm in the middle of the install of Street Naked.  Will have some pics and a report when done.  Having to wait for a tap for the bar ends.  I don't know about other areas, but here in western Mass there is very little metric stock around.  Tap will come in Monday for me.

So I installed the Renthal Street Naked bars today.  It's pretty straight forward as described in an earlier post by fjindy.  I ground off the bumps on the switch gear rather than drilling the bars.  Except that I did drill for the throttle as it has very little purchase via the clamp effect of the housing.  It's hard to show the difference in the pictures, so I did it a little different than fjindy did.

Here are the two bars on the bench showing the different bend.  More sweep:

ForM3347.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

Also a different angle from the horizontal.  I suppose this is more droop:
IMG_1834.jpg

Here are the two installed bars back to back.  First from the top:
IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

Then from the rear at seat height:
IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

Will go for a ride this weekend to see if this solves the poor wrist angle issues.  Oops!  I forgot to put on the left grip puppy :-)

Guest highplainsrider
Nice install. Thanks for taking the time to get before and after pictures and posting them.

Bugs, The bars are aluminum, so tapping is real easy.  You'll need an M16 x 1.5 tap, which casts about $25.  If you've never used a tap before, they are pretty straight forward.  Use lube (I used wd40), and you also will need to back the tap out several times to clean out the chips that collect inside the bar end.  An air hose works well for this.  When tapping, you go forward a turn or two and then back up a half turn or so to break off the chips.  Keep doing that until you can put the black adaptor in all the way without bottoming.  It takes about 5 minutes to do each bar end.  The inside diameter of the bar is a decent fit right out of the box.  I didn't bother to ream the hole to the exact drill size for an M16.

I got my Street Nakeds installed last night and test rode this morning. It is noticeably better for wrist comfort that the stock bars. Install went pretty smooth, I goofed up on drilling the hole for the left side control housing so I ended up grinding of the little plastic tab in the housing rather than make the hole in the handlebar bigger or elongated. No problem, the clamp inside the housing is pretty beefy.

I still have to tweak the brake and clutch lever angles but overall I'm very happy. I bought the bars from Revzilla. Good price and quick shipping. I went with the titanium color, looks nice on the FJ-09.

Probably won't put the hand guards back on. I don't get their functionality and what a garish collection of plastic bits and metal brackets etc. I might change my mind if a take a stone or big bug in the knuckles, but at least for summer, those bits are staying in a cardboard box in the closet