Oregon RTE (Ride To Eat)?

keithu

• Premium Member
Things have been pretty wet here in the PNW here lately. But the long term forecast says that the weekend of Jan 2-3 might be kind of nice.

I'm thinking we should have an informal meet-up for lunch somewhere, maybe around Astoria or Tilamook. Who's up for it? Any preferences for day or location?

Things have been pretty wet here in the PNW here lately. But the long term forecast says that the weekend of Jan 2-3 might be kind of nice.  
I'm thinking we should have an informal meet-up for lunch somewhere, maybe around Astoria or Tilamook. Who's up for it? Any preferences for day or location?
I'm going to give you a little help, regarding RTE's.  First you make a CALL.  Like the one above, but you ID a location and a time.  If you don't do that then you will get a lot of maybes and ideas that don't meld with what you wanted to do in the first place.  Another thing, even if you make a call, nobody really expects you to show unless you have shown before and always show when you make a call.  Last, don't make a call too many days in advance.  3-4 days max., and this time of the year here in the PNW, 24 hours is good.  Here is an example:
PNW RTE, in Astoria, OR,  December 26, Saturday at the Wet Dog Cafe at 12:30pm.  

Another thing, don't make a call that you don't have any idea what the weather might be.  Destin to be a failure and lots of backing out.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The last couple years spoiled me. I was moto camping last Nov 30th on Mt Hood. This year has been colder and much, much more wet. My last ride was a couple weeks a go. But this is Oregon and Spring starts in February so shouldnt be to long before I can get back on the horse.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

All those Oregon rain clouds are turning into snow once they drift over us in Idaho. We are getting dumped on but the Ski-ing is freakin phenomenal ! Our little Bogus Basin resort inn Boise is a short drive from downtown and has a bar halfway up the mountain. They are getting slammed with fresh powder.

• Premium Member

LOL. So is this a call? I can't make the 26th, but that should be fun.

I like to plan ahead, so I'm sticking with the Jan 2 call, weather permitting. I guess I'm looking for suggestions because I'm not real familiar with anything north of Lincoln City. I used to plan a lot of group rides on the central coast, but I figure with this group it might be better to plan something nearer to Portland.

Ideas?

If your not afraid of a little gravel I could show you some of my super secret, acting like a squid routes near to P-Town. I would say if its relatively dry and over 40 and I can get a sitter for the kid, well then who wouldn't want a ride?

Be warned there are a few miles of gravel/packed dirt roads. I dont really consider them "off-road" but thats mostly because I'm a knucklehead. They lay on the north side of 26 near Jackson School road.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I have a wr250r and know some great trails oout by Browns camp in the Tillamook State forest. Check it out online, awesome OHV area but also a great ride through the woods/mountains.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I have a wr250r and know some great trails oout by Browns camp in the Tillamook State forest. Check it out online, awesome OHV area but also a great ride through the woods/mountains.
Plan to get muddy, as I hear. 

Yes, that was an official Call.  That is the way I work winter calls.  First I check the weather and if the rain is expected in the early morning or late afternoon, I figure  I can ride.  If it is estimated to be a 10-20% chance, I figure I can ride and sometimes I will look at the doppler and plan a course around the rain.  Saturday, I will ride up I-5 to Longview and take SR4 to Astoria.  Hopefully come back on OR202 to Scapoosse if the flooding is still going on in Vernoia.  I already (15 min. after posting) have a companion for the full ride.  I usually expect as many as 6.  I have gotten to know a number of guys that like to ride and join in all the time.  Half are retired, like me.  I want to thank you Keith for the suggestiion, as I am getting stir crazy with only a couple short rides to Cycle Gear and up the freeway to check out my new Schuberth C3.  But when I looked at the weather forcast, Saturday was the only opening in the sky.  I also posted on the RCMC Yahoo Groups where my friends post rides.

I'll have to come over and ride that with you someday. I looked it up and it's a beautiful area!

Archived