Yet another new windscreen on the market!

ULEWZ

My Mid light tint got delivered today. Here are the pics. This is in my opinion, a very good quality product including the hardware.

I will ride it in the morning and report back.

20160109_172135_zpssyqgsbhq.jpg
20160109_172144_zpsaxlenx9b.jpg

I hung a weight on a string from the celing and adjusted it to just touch the top of the OEM windscreen to get a reference point to show the diff on the new one. The next two pics show this.

20160109_155539_zpsbfzp4pgy.jpg

20160109_171701_zps5yl4wvgz.jpg

And here they are overlayed on the ground.
20160109_162236_zpsmcqipncv.jpg

Here is the bracket.

20160109_171753_zpsojfqhuao.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally put a few miles on it with the new windscreen. Here are my findings.

First the stats:

This is the National VStream Mid Touring Light Tint windscreen. The Polycarbonate screen is much sturdier than the stock screen. The bracket and hardware are all good quality parts. I like the looks even better in person. It is further out away from you so it's a little different when you first start riding with it. I come from a dirt bike/sport bike background so I am not used to having a windscreen in front of me.

I am 6' and long-waisted. I was wearing my Joe Rocket Speedmaster Carbon helmet (I will try the Shark later). I had the screen in the highest position. In this position the top of the windscreen lines up with the bottom of my nose.

Wind protection is significantly better than stock.

Wind noise. At 55MPH it is about half the noise of stock. At 75MPH it is about 20% to 25% better then stock. What I did notice is that it helps with the loud buffeting/popping wind noise that would almost hurt my ears at times with the stock windscreen. I think the tall would be even better, so maybe I’ll get one or see if they will swap it out for me.

Buffeting was reduced significantly but I only went about 20 miles so time will tell as I ride behind different cars, side wind, etc...

Clint, I cut my hand guards down and took the top part of them off, so I can't tell you if they will hit. I was told they won't and by looking at it I don't think they will. link

• Premium Member
Thanks for the good write-up.  Sounds like it is working well for you so far.
I was leaning towards the new GIVI w/screen that is coming out and before
that thought the CalSci screen looked good, but now this one seems to
be just the ticket...  Dave in sorta sunny PHX.  but will be returning to
Kennewick, WA in the spring...

• Premium Member
Just so happens I just got a reply to an E-Mail I sent Nat. Cycle.. the makers of the Vstream W/shields.
Here is their response...

National Cycle Sales <sales@nationalcycle.com>

9:57 AM (12 hours ago)

to me
Hello Dave,
As of today the shields are now in stock and ready to ship. They should be up on the website for orders shortly, if you would like to order sooner please give us a call at 708-343-0400 and will be happy to get
an order going for your Price on MID height...N20317 Is $204.95 shipped in the USA

Thanks and have a great day,

Ian Drennan

They list FJ-09 on their web-site but the W/shields are not there yet but they can
be ordered by phone...

Their Web-site is... http://www.nationalcycle.com/vstream-zt.html

Of all the W/shields now out there I think this one looks to be the best. 

Thanks for the write up and photos. Sounds like it may work for my 5'6" height. I do like it a bit over the Givi 2122DT. Can you reach the two bottom inside nuts OK? Doesn't look like a wrench would fit in from the bottom.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

pannoch, The bottom nuts take a little patients but a wrench will fit in there. They have a good tip in the instructions to tape the nut to the wrench. I was a mechanic in a previous live so I had no problem with it. They have loctite on the main bolts that hold the bracket to the bike. I put loctite on all of the rest of the nuts so I won't have any issue with anything coming loose.

HTH

pannoch, The bottom nuts take a little patients but a wrench will fit in there. They have a good tip in the instructions to tape the nut to the wrench. I was a mechanic in a previous live so I had no problem with it. They have loctite on the main bolts that hold the bracket to the bike. I put loctite on all of the rest of the nuts so I won't have any issue with anything coming loose. 
HTH
Thank you sareis. I'm looking for a larger shield for winter, but not a box. I'd also like fairly easy on, easy off as I'll swap shields around this spring.  My Ermax Sport uses the OEM shield bracket so no nuts needed. It also has an air gap at the bottom which is welcome for spring, summer, fall. Not so good for winter. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• 3 weeks later...
I finally had a nice enough day to put my new National windshield on. I have the tall touring one and it fits beautifully. The hand guards do not contact it at all, they are about 1/4" away from it at full lock. Didn't get a chance to ride today, but maybe tomorrow. I like it! I cut down the oem screen to sport height and plan to use that in the summer.

Actually yes. Had a sunny,but cold, day a few days ago. I am 5'6" so it pretty much cuts the oncoming air completely. I could ride with my visor fully open and not really feel any wind. The wind noise is gone totally and I only hear the bike. If I sit relaxed I look through the screen, if I sit up very straight I just see over the top. I will certainly be putting the short sport screen on in the summer so I don't roast! I am very happy with this screen, it is just what I wanted.

That is a *very* nice looking windshield and I'm glad it suits you so well!! I have the Madstad Mid size shield and really like it, but I think that the VStream looks better than mine - damn! . I'll need to find another FJ-09 rider nearby who has one and see if it's worth it to me to switch. My main requirement is functionality, and the Madstad is very functional. But if I could get the same or better functionality with the VStream, I'd sell the Madstad and get the VStream.

Damn you....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived