Yet another new windscreen on the market!

ULEWZ

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Actually yes. Had a sunny,but cold, day a few days ago. I am 5'6" so it pretty much cuts the oncoming air completely. I could ride with my visor fully open and not really feel any wind. The wind noise is gone totally and I only hear the bike. If I sit relaxed I look through the screen, if I sit up very straight I just see over the top. I will certainly be putting the short sport screen on in the summer so I don't roast! I am very happy with this screen, it is just what I wanted.
I couldn't agree more. I fitted my V-Stream today (very easy mod) and also went for the tall screen despite being only 5'9" with my heels on... 
What a revelation! I have fallen in love with this bike, finally! I've had mine for 10 months and hated myself for buying it because the screen just made the noise and buffeting unbearable, not to mention the seat. Now with this screen I am in a quiet bubble and can actually hear the bike. And it's epic! It's been a blustery day here in the UK with some side winds but this screen finally makes the bike make sense. I can't wait to get the Bagster seat and head off to Europe for some proper touring at last after selling my GTR (Concours) 1400.

I have the screen on the lowest setting and can look over it easily. Actually, the top lip of the screen acts as a good level for me to line-up the tyres of the vehicle in front (when there is something in front!) and reminds me to keep a good distance. Perhaps a bit obsessive but I like to help extend the braking distance of any vehicle behind me too; just in case. The screen is solid and I know is going to change my relationship with my FJ!

• Premium Member
Actually yes. Had a sunny,but cold, day a few days ago. I am 5'6" so it pretty much cuts the oncoming air completely. I could ride with my visor fully open and not really feel any wind. The wind noise is gone totally and I only hear the bike. If I sit relaxed I look through the screen, if I sit up very straight I just see over the top. I will certainly be putting the short sport screen on in the summer so I don't roast! I am very happy with this screen, it is just what I wanted.
I couldn't agree more. I fitted my V-Stream today (very easy mod) and also went for the tall screen despite being only 5'9" with my heels on... 
What a revelation! I have fallen in love with this bike, finally! I've had mine for 10 months and hated myself for buying it because the screen just made the noise and buffeting unbearable, not to mention the seat. Now with this screen I am in a quiet bubble and can actually hear the bike. And it's epic! It's been a blustery day here in the UK with some side winds but this screen finally makes the bike make sense. I can't wait to get the Bagster seat and head off to Europe for some proper touring at last after selling my GTR (Concours) 1400.

I have the screen on the lowest setting and can look over it easily. Actually, the top lip of the screen acts as a good level for me to line-up the tyres of the vehicle in front (when there is something in front!) and reminds me to keep a good distance. Perhaps a bit obsessive but I like to help extend the braking distance of any vehicle behind me too; just in case. The screen is solid and I know is going to change my relationship with my FJ!
Just to confirm, you have the N20318 version? Where did you order from, MDI?

I have my VSteam touring screen in the highest setting, but could see using the lowest setting when it warms up more, until summer when I will put my shorty sport screen on. I was out yesterday on the highway for about 45 minutes and it is absolutely awesome! No more wind noise, and I have a Schuberth modular which is a quiet helmet, but all I hear now is the engine (also makes it easier to hear and speak to my hubby through our headsets). I could actually leave my visor open while on the highway at 110 to 130 kph, and had only a minimal amount of air on my face. I did take it up to 170 kph very very briefly and found no head shake or twitchy feeling to the bike because of the screen. I did have this with the Ermax I had before.
I'm very, very happy with this! 
Since shaving down and changing the seat shape a bit and adding some different foam, tweeking my handlebar position a bit, adding Pazzo levers, and now the new windscreen, I can see doing very long touring on this bike in total comfort. This bike now seems as close to perfect as I think I can get, and I can see keeping this one for a long time. ☺

• Premium Member
Yes, it's the N20318 or whatever the tall clear one is. I bought it from Performance Parts Ltd in the UK. Around £200 (always more than the US for various reasons) and it arrived the next day. I could not be happier with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I fitted and tested my V-Stream Touring (tall) screen today. As other mentioned the ride is absolutely quiet behind this screen, I can hear the engine clearly and will have no need for ear plugs. But it was very blustery (gusting to 40 mph perhaps) and I felt that sudden cross winds affected me more than it would have with the original screen. I am also short (5'8") and even in the lowest position the top of the screen is in my line of sight which I find somewhat disconcerting; maybe I'll get used to it.

I could open my visor at 60mph and even at motorway speeds it was very quiet.

I'll test it again tomorrow if there is no wind.

But I have a feeling I may try the sport tour (medium) screen. I wish they sold the screen separately without the mounting hardware. This could get expensive if I feel I also need the short sport screen.

• Premium Member
I got used to the Powerbronze with spoiler being higher up than the OE screen. I have the seat in the higher position.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I fitted and tested my V-Stream Touring (tall) screen today. As other mentioned the ride is absolutely quiet behind this screen, I can hear the engine clearly and will have no need for ear plugs. But it was very blustery (gusting to 40 mph perhaps) and I felt that sudden cross winds affected me more than it would have with the original screen. I am also short (5'8") and even in the lowest position the top of the screen is in my line of sight which I find somewhat disconcerting; maybe I'll get used to it. 
I could open my visor at 60mph and even at motorway speeds it was very quiet.

I'll test it again tomorrow if there is no wind.

But I have a feeling I may try the sport tour (medium) screen. I wish they sold the screen separately without the mounting hardware. This could get expensive if I feel I also need the short sport screen.
Kind of the same problem I had with the VStream on the FJR.  I was always going to cut it down 2", then I realized that I liked the wind in my face/helmet, so after removing it for summer I never put it back on the bike.  Only used it one season.  But if you like it, and it is too high, you can just cut an inch off and try it, then if it isn't right, cut another inch off.  The cost of the tape and recipricating saw can be had for less than $20.  Take a look at this thread on modifying an old windsreen. Clicky.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
OK, that was a monumental waste of money. I tried the V Streams, both Touring and Sport/Touring. Simply increasing the size of the screen is not going to work. They are brilliant for slow riding on country lanes - you can ride with your visor open, but for high speed riding they are useless. Causes very unpleasant buffeting, it literally cause my helmet to shake. I had blurred vision at one point.

The OEM screen is going back on. That was noisy, but the earplugs helped. It caused no stability issues or unpleasant buffeting.

OK, that was a monumental waste of money. I tried the V Streams, both Touring and Sport/Touring. Simply increasing the size of the screen is not going to work. They are brilliant for slow riding on country lanes - you can ride with your visor open, but for high speed riding they are useless. Causes very unpleasant buffeting, it literally cause my helmet to shake. I had blurred vision at one point. 
The OEM screen is going back on. That was noisy, but the earplugs helped. It caused no stability issues or unpleasant buffeting.

I find wind problems so fascinating. There are so many factors and no solution seems to work for everyone. I have had no problems with buffeting at all with with the OEM screen or the touring vstream. The only reason I opted to switch from to the touring vstream was to cut the noise down a bit. I love the vstream. It works terrific for me. I'm 5'10" with a 30 in inseam. I see right over the top of the touring model without the screen getting in the way of my line of sight. I would highly recommend this product but clearly from your expierences it wouldn't be a good choice for you.

Also, buffeting seems to be subjective. I had horrible troubles finding a solution that would work on my Harley. The forward controls cause the wind to come straight up my legs which in turn mixes with the air coming over the top and causes turbulence. The only solution for me was to go "big" to try and deflect as much air as I could away from my helmet. I look through that windshield and it is quite wide. I *thought* I had it pretty well dialed in. I went for a ride on the harley last week for the first time in a while. The FJ has been getting all the love since it found it's way into my garage. Needless to say the buffeting on the Harley is horrible compared to what I am now used to on the FJ. Two months ago I would have told you I didn't have any buffeting problems on the Harley. Now its a completely different story.

So, just rambling.... I hope you find a good solution to noise and buffeting that you can live with.

-Steve

• Premium Member
I just installed the mid/sport-touring version of the V-Stream on my bike. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam, so I have a long torso. I have to sort of validate with Johan is saying. I don't get a buffeting at high speed but there is a strange vibration at helmet level above 75mph that is annoying. If I scrunch down a couple of inches it seems to go away, so maybe I need to get the taller touring screen. Or something else entirely...

I swapped out the VStream Sport/Tour for the Touring model and it's definitely an improvement at higher speeds. The screen blocks the air directly in front of me but leaves a good flow of air on my arms. The screen is huge and doesn't look the best but I'm less concerned about that. Overall I'm pretty happy with this solution for touring.

20160315-152541.jpg 

Archived