Gas gauge doesn't return to full after fill up

Am I missing something obvious here? Or is my high school physics rusty?
Unless the tank internals are asymmetric, then your logic is sound. I feel an experiment is needed. 
As for filling the tank whilst sitting on it: I have to get off the bike to pay or put my card in the reader so I don't take the chance of getting a crotch splash of octane. It's also a good opportunity to rearrange the goods as I still have the stock saddle.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

This morning I filled on the center then put it on the side stand. At this point I'm pretty sure that I can get more fuel in on the center stand, but one test each way is all I've done. One thing I am sure of is that there is not that much difference. Please do not fill while sitting on the bike. I'm sure the chance of something going wrong is very,very small. The cost to you if something did go wrong is very,very high.

With many other bikes, yes. With the FJ-09, no. Max fill is best achieved on the sidestand.
Really, it takes more on the side stand?  Illogical but I'll try it.  Wonder if the stuck on full until 100+ miles will cease and desist if I fill it on the side stand???

I tried this yesterday. Filled up just past the ring whilst i was sat on it.. fine, no problem... put it on its side stand and it pee'd out the overflow.

• Premium Member
Really, it takes more on the side stand?  Illogical but I'll try it.  Wonder if the stuck on full until 100+ miles will cease and desist if I fill it on the side stand???
I tried this yesterday. Filled up just past the ring whilst i was sat on it.. fine, no problem... put it on its side stand and it pee'd out the overflow.

• Premium Member

I tried on side and center stands and found no appreciabe difference but did not fill up enough for it to run out the overflow

I have not had the gauge stick low in the range and then jump up to full again.

I tried on side and center stands and found no appreciabe difference but did not fill up enough for it to run out the overflow

I have not had the gauge stick low in the range and then jump up to full again.
I don't really understand how it could possibly hold more on the side stand tbh. It just doesnt make sense to me. 

Anyways, onwards and upwards. We all do our own thing dont we haha. 

Expansion coefficient of gasoline is quite small. An 18 litre volume of petrol will only expand by 0.4 litre if filled at 20 celcius and you raise the temperature to 40 celcius.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived