I'm technically a wannabe...

Greetings to you all.  Thanks for welcoming me to your clubhouse.

I live in Rochester, NY.  Yesterday I made a deal for a crate-fresh, red, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09. It's in State College, Pa. where it will remain until I pick it up in March.

My plans are to keep it stock for a while, except for bags.  I'm used to a "permanent" top case on my '05 DL650, which is for sale btw, and a small tank bag for everything but commuting.  However, I'm not sure I like a top case that high and behind the bike as positioned in the FJ-09 pics I've seen.

In short, I got two months to debate how I want to kit the bike out when I pick it up.

Jon D.
streetskills.net

• Premium Member
Greetings to you all.  Thanks for welcoming me to your clubhouse. 
I live in Rochester, NY.  Yesterday I made a deal for a crate-fresh, red, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09. It's in State College, Pa. where it will remain until I pick it up in March.

My plans are to keep it stock for a while, except for bags.  I'm used to a "permanent" top case on my '05 DL650, which is for sale btw, and a small tank bag for everything but commuting.  However, I'm not sure I like a top case that high and behind the bike as positioned in the FJ-09 pics I've seen.

In short, I got two months to debate how I want to kit the bike out when I pick it up.

Jon D.
streetskills.net
Pretty standard height and position. I think they do it that way so the top box can double as a back rest for a pillion. My theory anyhow.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Welcome! The convenience of a top case can't be denied, but I also don't care for the appearance. Fortunately there are many side bag options: Givi, Hepco-Becker, and Shad all offer side bags and racks for the FJ-09. There are also the (small) factory bags, or you can mount larger FJR1300 bags.

• Premium Member
Top box is practical, especially if you commute like me and need to transport a Dell laptop between home & office.

My Givi E45 also has a backrest (it was there when I bought the box from a friend) so provides comfort for a rare pillion.

Downside is the appearance as mentioned above and in very windy conditions, it will catch the wind resulting in a negative effect on handling - this is pretty rare and not significant enough to make me stop using it.

In your time waiting for March, have a look on the parts review section and you will find my thread on the Givi topbox mount.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You can transport a laptop in side cases too, if they're big enough. I have a North Face backpack with a laptop sleeve that fits just about perfectly into my Hepco-Becker Junior side cases. The backpack doesn't go in and out of the side case quite as easily as it would a top box, but that's the price of fashion. :)

The other advantage of side cases is that they put weight lower and closer to the bike's COG, so they are less likely to upset handling.

• Premium Member
You can transport a laptop in side cases too, if they're big enough. I have a North Face backpack with a laptop sleeve that fits just about perfectly into my Hepco-Becker Junior side cases. The backpack doesn't go in and out of the side case quite as easily as it would a top box, but that's the price of fashion. :) 
The other advantage of side cases is that they put weight lower and closer to the bike's COG, so they are less likely to upset handling.
my office is in a city centre so I need to be able to filter in the mad traffic light dash - I have Kappa K40 panniers that would swallow the Dell Ineptitude in it's own bag but don't want to use them for commuting in the centre of Gloucester UK. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived