Raising fork tubes.

stealth09

• Premium Member
Hello fellow FJ riders. I have been reading this forum for weeks soaking up information about my new bike.

Today I was adjusting the suspension and decided to move the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. I am 5 foot 9 and  and would like the bike a little shorter. I moved the tubes just over 1/2 inch (13mm)  up.

[attachment id=472" thumbnail="1]
The bikes sits just a little more forward then it did. Also the front end feels more planted. With the rear hard bags at highway speed it seems more stable. Will there be any adverse effects from this?

Point is to test and make sure you're not reducing trail too much and getting a flighty front wheel. Any further I would change it only 3-5mm increments and while operating your bike be cognizant that you've only tested a certain envelope of speeds/loadings (eg. <65mph). If you decide one day to do the ton, you might be in for a surprise. You can get away with murder at lesser speeds.

That is a huge geometry change, usually fork changes are for the bikes handling and maybe a character change. Have you ridden it? I moved mine up 3mm and it made a big difference towards the dodgy side.
The seat might be a better way to get the feet down. I kept dragging boots and hardware so I went back.

I'm about your height and after the first thousand miles or so I found the height to not be a problem anymore. I got used to it pretty quick.
I did move the forks up(above the top triple clamp) 1/4 inch and that helped with the wiggles I was getting, I think I had more issues than some because I sat about straight up about all the time which keeps a lot of your weight on the rear tire and off the front(especially under acceleration)
I could of course still make it wiggle in 1st-3rd if I was leaned over even the slightest bit and really on it

• Premium Member
Thank you for the replies, this is the type of information I was looking for.
I have always owned dirt bikes and cruisers so this is my first sport touring. Though I'm very fluent in Jeep suspensions, I have never much messed bike suspensions out side of shock/fork adjustments. For the time being I returned the forks to stock height while I study the basics of bike geometry.

• Premium Member
Yamaha sells lowering links if you decide you need to reduce the height. I am wondering if the rear shock is set too soft for your weight and sagging too much, so when you lowered the front you balanced things out.
I would try to get used to the stock height, get your suspension set (the dealer should help you) and then carefully consider raising the front forks. Raising the fork tubes normally makes bikes steer faster - which is definitely not needed of the FJ.
Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Agree, if you want to lower the bike purchase the lowering links and pull the forks through 10mm (I had researched this myself and this was the recommended adjustment for lowering).

I have also adjusted all the preload & damping back to the "factory setting" with the lowering links installed and forks pulled through and noticed a considerable improvement in the front end.
See report here Suspension test ride

FWIW, I'm 60kgs and only 5'5" - so by no means near the dimensions a lot of you guys are reporting here...so maybe my views will not be of any use to you, but it's a base line that you need to find and then work from there. Trying setups with spending $$ first. If after time I'm not happy then I'll look to purchase a heavy spring rate for the front forks (happy with the rear).

The information on this forum about suspension setups is amazing and at times a little confusing (with the volume of info). You just have to sift through it and take the best bits of info that might work for you and give it a go. 

My 2cents worth.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

at 60kg / 132lb you're well within the OE spring rate.
This is true and I suspect that a bit more tweaking with the front and I shouldn't need to spend any $$. However, the option is available to invest in a slightly heavier spring if necessary.

Always good to know what else is available and what others have used to gain the optimal setup for them.

As I've said, this forum has an immense volume of information on not only suspension, for which I am grateful.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived