Shad Semi Rigid E48 side bags

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone ever use these?  The Shad Semi Rigid E48 side bags. 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FJ09-Semi-Rigid-Saddlebags-SHAD-E48-Side-Bags-Mounting-Hardware-Incl-/221981807875

I'd also be eager to hear if anyone has used the E22 tank bag also.
I have a set. I posted a photo of them on my bike. The quality is pretty good and I purchased mine from shad for about $237 shipped. I really like them and is perfect for what i used them for. Givi also makes semi hard bags but they were about $150 or more than the shads

• 2 weeks later...
More about the Shad Semi-Rigid E48 bags:

They are not waterproof.  I washed the bike and the inner cushioning was a bit damp.  I didn't expect them to be waterproof, as they give you nice rain cover bags with the set.  But it's worth noting.  My plan is to use large black garbage bags in them...easy fix.

They installed easy.  I figured out a way to get the bags mounted firmly.  I will not likely remove them much, if at all.  When getting the seat off I have to remove one velcro strap.  Not at all a problem, but the strap is seen over the seat, which might bother folks.  But I personally think they look awesome.  

There are two small metal hook straps that go across the top of each bag, possibly to keep them upright if filled and heavy.  All four were undone when I got home.  Thought they wouldn't move, so I'll have to watch those closely as not to scratch my new bike!

Bags not lockable.  No biggie, I expected that.

These bags are very easy to use.  By that I mean that the zippers work well.  I'm used to a lockable top case on my vstrom.  This is my first real experience with side bags.  I like that you can unzip the top and throw your gloves in the bag.  I was also pleased to see that I could fit my XL size Kali Carbon Blackness helmet in the other side bag after unzipping the expandable part.  Not lockable, but being able to hold a helmet is very cool.

highres_447652941.jpeg

highres_447677892.jpeg

What would you say the benefits are for the semi-rigid bags vs hard?
Nahhhh.  Not just price.  Aesthetics are subjective, but I think these are awesome looking side bags.  And they are useful, especially how you can expand the top to hold more stuff in a pinch.  Last week I had to get a huge 3-ring binder in the bag and all I had to do was unzip the expander and I was off to the races. 
Me, personally, I think hard bags are heavier, uglier.  Since they are wider
.  Less offensive looking mounting brackets usually, but not the case with stock FJ-09 bags.  Tip overs can snap stuff off easier, then you have to figure out how to get this bulbous piece of luggage home.   
Yes, hard bags are waterproof and lockable.  Worth every penny I'm sure for those features.

Will I ever go hard bag?  Maybe.  But I'm really loving these bags.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dmizer
Those are really fantastic looking bags. Way better looking than mine, but my passenger would be exceptionally unhappy with that strap. Can you fit it under the passenger seat instead of over top? Also, can you post some pictures of the mounting hardware with the bags removed?

What would you say the benefits are for the semi-rigid bags vs hard?
This:

They're also lighter and cheaper, and typically require less hardware for mounting.

• 2 weeks later...
I too have ordered and started using the Shad Semi Rigid E48 side bags. Used them for a weekend trip this past weekend and had no issues. I didn't fill them all the way up enough to need the extenders as they are pretty large already.
Overall they did exactly what I needed them to do. For the price I am happy with my purchase. At highway speeds that didn't move around at all, and it was pretty windy at times. I don't like that the lids don't really open up all the way. It makes packing it up a little more difficult. If anyone is considering buying these they are worth it.

I also have the E22 tank bag. That I am not 100% satisfied with. I miss having some exterior pockets I have had on other tank bags. The tank bag install was a little rough with no real directions from Shad. I have the bottom clips coming out just above the seat and the top clips as high as I can get them. The bag is still pretty loose. It surprisingly held still for the trip but I would imagine if I have that thing packed up heavily and went to do some curvy roads the bag would be moving side to side. I'm going to try and get it tighter. Kinda wish I would have spent the extra $ on something with a tank ring. If the bag becomes a problem I may just modify it.

Those are really fantastic looking bags. Way better looking than mine, but my passenger would be exceptionally unhappy with that strap. Can you fit it under the passenger seat instead of over top? .
Same question. Or actually: is the strap literally a pain in the butt of the passenger? I already have a 50something liters capacity seat bag so I'm interested in those (you can find them for 150€ with the mounting bracket) only for occasional rides with the girlfriend.

Thanks for the photos and feedback BTW.

Those are really fantastic looking bags. Way better looking than mine, but my passenger would be exceptionally unhappy with that strap. Can you fit it under the passenger seat instead of over top? .
Same question. Or actually: is the strap literally a pain in the butt of the passenger? I already have a 50something liters capacity seat bag so I'm interested in those (you can find them for 150€ with the mounting bracket) only for occasional rides with the girlfriend.

Thanks for the photos and feedback BTW.

I just put mine on , the strap fits fine underneath the passenger seat