Real gas tank capacity?

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here knows the true fj tank capacity? I know the claimed/stated capacity is 4.8 gal. But is that the gas tanks capacity before the fuel pump and sending unit are put inside the tank? Because I would imagine the gas the tank could hold would be more around 4.4-4.5 gal if that were the case. Or is listed tank capacity what the tank holds after full assembly?

• Premium Member
http://fj-09.org/post/6918/thread

see my post at the bottom of the 1st page - I ran the bike for 40 miles on reserve then got 17.99 litres of fuel into the claimed 18 litre tank. I did that blind, i.e. not looking at the pump gauge when filling.

18 litres is 4.75 US gallons
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wow. If 18 liters = 4.75 gallons (and I'm not questioning that... I just don't know the conversion factor) then it sounds like 4.8 gallons is pretty spot on. I didn't realize the tanks in these bikes are so small! That's okay though; at 44 mpg you can still get over 160 miles to a tank.

That tank size is one of the reasons I got a FJ instead of an FZ! The Fz was something like 3.5.

And your math is off, its over 200 miles at that MPG. I get below 40, because I'm a friggen hooligan, so Im lucky to see 180. Thats why I roll with a 1.75 gallon Rotopax! Nothing beats NOT pushing a bike :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived