Sign in to follow this  
pattonme

Rebuilt OE and ZX6/ZX10 shock services

In collaboration with a very experienced suspension technician, Forks-by-Matt is proud to offer rebuild, re-valve and re-spring services for the OE shock as well the popular ZX6 and ZX10 swaps. That $50 eBay shock might have seemed like a bargain but it could stand some rework (Kawasaki shocks aren't exactly known for good damping characteristics) and if you weigh outside the recommended range, the correct rate spring.

Wear items are replaced and the piston is re-shimmed for firm, yet supple damping characteristics and improved 'clicker' effectiveness.

Prices are USD plus shipping. If ordered in conjunction with my fork solutions, a further discount will apply.

[td style=padding:3px]

(opt) high-flow piston65 + shims

[/tbody] 

I have some questions. I am learning about suspension but don't know much yet. Does the shock service only apply to riders who weigh less than 160 lbs? Or does a heavier rider need to add the price of a spring to the OE price? Is the OE spring too soft? Why would I choose the high-flow piston?

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock

Good questions. Shock service applies to any and all weight classes. The pricing and rider weight mentioned correspond to the re-use of the OE spring. If you are outside the range, then you'll need a spring and in the case of the re-valved OE shock, a spacer. The ZX shocks have a lot of preload threads so as long as you get the correct length spring for the shock body (I believe they all use 7") then no spacer is needed.

The OE spring is suitable for the indicated rider weight, give or take. The Owners's Manual should have words to the effect of "a 150lb rider, no passenger, and no luggage should try notch X". I'll go troll thru the forum posts and see if I can find those who have posted weight, notch AND have properly measured sag values and can thus demonstrate correctness. Comments like '3 feels good to me' are not useful. No sag values, it's not a data point.

The Japanese persist in shipping bikes configured to their 140-150lb male baseline despite the fact US males are a whole lot closer to 180.

All of the aftermarket suspension suppliers use bespoke piston designs because the OE (Showa or Kayaba) just aren't very good or don't let the tuner get the force curves they are looking for. For normal street use, it's solidly in the 'nice to have' category.

i wish i were a whole lot closer to 180.....

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

i wish i were a whole lot closer to 180.....
I think he made a typo based on what I saw last time I was in the US but I doubt Kissimmee FL is representative. I felt quite small and rollercoaster seats didn't seem a bit small like the ones in UK. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

In collaboration with a very experienced suspension technician, Forks-by-Matt is proud to offer rebuild, re-valve and re-spring services for the OE shock as well the popular ZX6 and ZX10 swaps. That $50 eBay shock might have seemed like a bargain but it could stand some rework (Kawasaki shocks aren't exactly known for good damping characteristics) and if you weigh outside the recommended range, the correct rate spring. 
Wear items are replaced and the piston is re-shimmed for firm, yet supple damping characteristics and improved 'clicker' effectiveness.

Prices are USD plus shipping. If ordered in conjunction with my fork solutions, a further discount will apply.

[td style=padding:3px]

(opt) high-flow piston65 + shims

[/tbody]
Can you provide the ZX6/10 shock and is yes, how much additional for it? 
Otherwise, what year ZX6/10 shock should be obtained?

Sorry, but you'll have to do your own ebay/forum surfing to find the donor. There is an extensive set of threads on fz09 dot org on the subject, but I'm pretty sure I saw a thead on here too. Use the search and look in the Suspension section.

FWIW, I used a 07-08 ZX6 shock on my bike. Certain other years supposedly work. Here's a link with some good information

fz09 . org /forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1216-fz-09-rear-shock-conversions.html

I just got my ZX10 shock in the mail. None of the turny bits 'click'. Is this normal, or am I out of Nitrogen?

@pattonme

'15 FJ09

nitrogen pressurizes the oil, has no bearing on the clickers. If they click it because the adjuster has slots and there is a spring-loaded detent ball in the assembly. I don't know what ZX10 shock you have but it's not uncommon for it to have smooth adjusters. Did it click before you sent it in to be rebuilt?

nitrogen pressurizes the oil, has no bearing on the clickers. If they click it because the adjuster has slots and there is a spring-loaded detent ball in the assembly. I don't know what ZX10 shock you have but it's not uncommon for it to have smooth adjusters. Did it click before you sent it in to be rebuilt?
Alright thanks. I just bought the shock, has not been rebuilt yet. Just trying to assess the condition. 

'15 FJ09