Wives (or husbands, or SO's) that don't ride

• Premium Member
Let me preface this by stating very clearly, I love my wife dearly and she loves me as well. ;)

However, in the nearly 15+ years we've been together, she has only once ridden on a motorcycle with me. And she didn't enjoy it, not one little bit. She claims that a pillion seat position is uncomfortable and an old sports injury makes it painful to ride in that position, but I secretly think she's terrified of motorcycles & riding. If she is, she'd never admit it. But that's what I think. It's a little disappointing to me, to be honest, but I respect the fact that she loves what she loves, and doesn't pretend to love what she doesn't. It's also a bummer, because I love riding vacations. For nearly a decade, I've been going to a motorcycle rally in Deal's Gap and just having a BLAST down there. I have many great friends that I only see once a year there. But she doesn't go, partly because she teaches and cannot take off the time in early June (end of school), but also because she knows she'd just sit around by herself while I'm out riding all day. I feel a little bad about it, but she always approves of my trip and pushes me to go, because I always have such a good time when I'm there.

The good thing is, she acknowledges and respects my passion for motorcycles and riding. She has never once given me grief over it, nor does she ever express worry, concern, or fear of my riding. She has never demanded or asked me to stop, nor does she ever do anything but support my passion for riding. It's just odd but reassuring to know she's supportive. We're an odd couple, as she also has a passion I don't share one bit: Running. She loves running. Ever since we started dating, she's been BIG into running. She regularly runs 5, 8, and 10K races, and has even done half marathons. Her sisters & dad run as well, and we do a number of family outings centered around running. I, on the other hand, do NOT run. Hell I wouldn't run unless a dude with a chainsaw chased me, and even then I'd probably tell him to just do his worst. Running isn't fun to me, not a bit; after my military service I gave it up and never looked back with any fondness, like giving up a bad habit. But SHE loves it, has great passion for it, and I support this with all my heart because I know it brings her great joy and fulfillment.

Anyway.... Random thoughts that waft through my head as I drive home from work. Just wondering if any of you have a spouse / loved one / SO / slampiece that doesn't share your passion for riding. Chime in!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
My wife hasn't ridden with me in years, thus hasn't been on my FJ09 at all. She rejects wearing all the gear and says "Why would I want to wear all that stuff on a nice day? I'd rather get some sun!" She also has no interest in my other hobby, which is whitewater kayaking. The thought of being upside down in a boat in a river does not appeal to her in the least. Neither of these activities are suitable for the majority of people, so I don't mind that she isn't interested. She is supportive of me enjoying both activities. However, I need to be careful to balance my time on the bike or in the boat with the time spent with the family. I have two growing boys who don't participate with me either. I am thinking about getting some dirt bikes so that I can spend some time with the boys while still enjoying some motorcycling.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I am glad I'm not alone here. My wife is also reasonably tolerant/supportive of my riding, but is not inclined to come along. It's disappointing, but time away is therapeutic as well.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I consider it a blessing that my wife doesn't ride. I see couples who do every freakin thing together, some of em I think would even poop together if they could. It's all great and wonderful the first five years or so but then after a while I think a husband and wife (or pc version) partner and partner need to have things that they do separately like riding, painting, sailing, sports, or whatever it takes to have time to one's self and to also allow keeping one's "balls" in tact and connected. She also has a few hobbies that are her own, and we meet up back home on Saturday night and talk about what we did with our friends that day and share pics. then, on Sunday we do stuff together.

• Premium Member
My wife rode with me a few times, but didn't like it. This was, however, before good communications systems. Her opinion was, "I drive around all day (she's a Horse Vet), so why do I now want to do it again, but not be able to talk?"
She events horses and understand my passion for motorcycles and my former AFM racing habit. The two best things about having a spouse who has her own passion is she understands mine and doesn't complain about what I spend - because she is spending money too!

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

My wife says she wont ride with me till our daughter is grown up. That way if anything happens at least one parent is around. I know, morbid; but also true. I'm a good rider but feces occurs.

The way we work it now is she and the girl and our dogs ride in the CRV to wherever we will be camping. Then we spend some time. Then I go ride off and she meets at the next camp spot. As I do a lot off road riding I tend to find amazing campsites in out of the way places. I do rides with friends and then camps with family. Pretty awesome deal but it took a while to figure it all out :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
My wife says she wont ride with me till our daughter is grown up. That way if anything happens at least one parent is around. I know, morbid; but also true. I'm a good rider but feces occurs. 
The way we work it now is she and the girl and our dogs ride in the CRV to wherever we will be camping. Then we spend some time. Then I go ride off and she meets at the next camp spot. As I do a lot off road riding I tend to find amazing campsites in out of the way places. I do rides with friends and then camps with family. Pretty awesome deal but it took a while to figure it all out :)
Get a SPOT or something like that so she can track where you are and you can send an SOS if a problem comes up. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I consider it a blessing that my wife doesn't ride. I see couples who do every freakin thing together, some of em I think would even poop together if they could. It's all great and wonderful the first five years or so but then after a while I think a husband and wife (or pc version) partner and partner need to have things that they do separately like riding, painting, sailing, sports, or whatever it takes to have time to one's self and to also allow keeping one's "balls" in tact and connected. She also has a few hobbies that are her own, and we meet up back home on Saturday night and talk about what we did with our friends that day and share pics. then, on Sunday we do stuff together.
My marriage did not take the next step until my wife starting riding (5 years ago). We rode together every weekend (dirtbikes or streetbikes) (separate bikes mind you) until she broke her leg on her dirtbike. She starting riding street bikes again in September as she really missed it. I consider it a blessing that my wife enjoys my hobby, and I still get out with the boys when I feel the need to tear it up. I guess I am not in the majority, as I really enjoy riding with my wife. Anybody else? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
My wife and I used to ride together when we first got together. We even toured from SoCal to the 1991 USGP at Laguna Seca two-up on my '85 Interceptor. That was a great time. But after our first son was born she lost interest, and it's been 20+ years since we rode together.

Motorcycling is my thing, she has her own things. We have things we do together, and things we do on our own. After 25 years we love each other more than ever, and that's what is important.

Its a good idea, I have camped in some very lonely places. 
I have my eye on the Delorme InReach SE. I can get it fairly cheaply through promotive ($225 ish). Farkling this bike slowed the purchase :)

Better device and seemingly better service contracts available.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I organise trips for friends - some are singles, some are couples on one bike, some are couples on 2 bikes and some are couples with one on a bike and one using another form of transport. The other form of transport can be a car or in one case a wife flew to Verona to join her husband for a few days at Lake Garda - she was able to tolerate the short ride from the airport and short rides around the lake so they spent some quality time together and she was able to chill or sightsee by the lakeside if she didn't fancy going for a ride in the mountains.

As listed above, they key is to be flexible. Some nervous pillions have learnt to ride and become Advanced Riders and instructors. Some confident pillions have picked up injuries and take the car now (useful as a repository for helmets etc when sightseeing and taking cases of wine home from French vineyards).
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
That's why I own a Ural. My wife who never liked being on the back of my motorcycles ( Although she's Ok with the FJ09 on limited rides) really likes being in the sidecar. Pluse I can bring my daughter on the back of the Ural so we ride three up! It's a blast! My wife does only like up to a couple of hours at a time riding. We trailer my Ural to places like the blue ridge parkway, unload the Ural, and off we go! The Ural has opened up a whole world of riding enjoyment for my whole family! Used Urals ( 2006 and up I recommend ) can be found for under 10,000 US easy. I administrate a forum,"Sovietsteeds.com" Take a look around. Do they require constant maintenance? Yes. But it's an extremely simple design ( pre 2014 Carbed, after that fuel injected and a little more complicated) its like working on a farm tractor... Check them out. Ask me any questions about them. A tool for every job...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Wife and I both have Road bikes and ride together. Toured France twice last year. We also have enduro bikes that we are constantly on and the wife has decided that this year she will even race with me in the all terrain challenge. Although we're only doing two of the race's as I have some rather nasty pre existing injuries that slow me down!

• Premium Member
My wife loved riding the Harley everywhere, insisted on riding to Sturgis a year ago. She would never ride on my FZ1 or will she on this bike because of the seating position and height. After Sturgis she started having neck problems and cant wear her helmet anymore and I miss her on rides. With her we would just ride all over and get lunch, check out sight's etc. and now I just ride and ride and don't really stop until I'm home. I can go faster now without any supervision but would rather her go if she could. I still love to ride its just not the same anymore. Now for me its mostly transportation and an occasional ride to the beach. We go to Glamis sand dunes in SoCal and she is scared to death to ride in my Razor but had no problem cruising down the highway at 80 mph. We are one of those couples that does everything together and have been doing it for 35 yrs now and we also work together.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09

2015 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail

2015 Polaris Rzr Xp1000

I take my wife a short distance to a nice restaurant and back. Next ride, a little further to a nice restaurant. When the bike is rolled out of the garage, the bell rings and she runs all around putting on her riding gear... Slow as you go and she may join you..

Archived