Windshield height adjusting knob woes

toonbobo

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience replacing the knob that adjusts the height of the windshield? A while back, I was screwing around with the knobs and the c clip on the clutch side bounced away and I couldn't find it. I figured it wasn't a big deal as the knobs had never backed out at that point.

Well, a few weeks ago I was riding home in some 'heavy' (for California) rain. I stopped to gas up and I noticed a black plastic knob on the ground next to me at the pump. I felt so lucky it fell off there after 45 miles on the freeway. Tonight I get home and notice the sucker is totally missing. There is an off-chance it could in the parking lot at work, but I'm not betting on it. To top it off, bike bandit doesn't list all the parts needed for sale. Haven't checked with the dealer yet. Feeling kinda dumb because the c clip costs 2 bucks and it would have prevented all this. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

GIXeJRy.png

@jimf I noticed you mentioned in a thread back in April you considered changing them out. Any luck?

• Premium Member
One of mine went AWOL as well - I just replaced it with an allen bolt & nylock nut that were lurking in the pot of odds & ends - the allen key under the seat fits it if I need to adjust the screen (unlikely as I am happy with my setup).
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
One of mine went AWOL as well - I just replaced it with an allen bolt & nylock nut that were lurking in the pot of odds & ends - the allen key under the seat fits it if I need to adjust the screen (unlikely as I am happy with my setup).
I made this modification a few months ago, and it works wonderfully! 
Windscreen Adjuster Mod
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Hey all, 
Does anyone have experience replacing the knob that adjusts the height of the windshield? [...]
@jimf I noticed you mentioned in a thread back in April you considered changing them out. Any luck?
I haven't, mostly I think because I'm lazy.  I never change the height on the fly now that I'm happy with the screen setup I have, Ermax Sport with a Puig visor, set at medium height.  The Touring is better for cold weather but not enough for me to actually change it for winter yet). 
I have had the knobs come loose a couple of times when I was changing the screen setup a lot to see what I liked and the C-clip likely saved me from losing them.  Those are really important.

I looked at it and don't think you'd have much trouble finding a plain bolt and washer though.

I am not a big fan of the knob design, which is difficult to grip and therefore difficult to tighten to what I think is adequate.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

An update - while removing the tank to take out my ECU, I found the left side knob. It was in between the airbox and gas tank! Woohoo. Got lucky that it fell into the bike, rather than the side of the freeway.
I lost mine way back in May.  After I crashed in Colorado, it came out.  Just riding along for 4 months.  I fitted a tee knob from ACE and like it better because it is easier to tighten.  Instead of the "C" clip, I just put a nylon lock nut on the end. 
foDHapu.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
I thought i was loosing my mind! ... I thought the wind noise had increased, but assumed i hadn't tucked my neck wind protector in, so kept pulling over to re-adjust, then by chance i knocked the screen and noticed it was loose?

Went to adjust and tighten the bolts, but to my annoyance, it had gone missing!!!

Lets see if the dealer will replace it under warranty? ... If not, I'll show him this post to prove I'm not the only one! :)

Archived