Do you top off your gas tank?

Sorry for the dumb question, but do you top off your tank, or do you just stick the nozzle in and fill the tank till it shuts off? The manual says to not fill it to the top because the gas expands with heat and could overflow if you fill to the top, but I was wondering how far people fill their tanks up. On my other bike, I'm used to topping the tank off so I was wondering what you guys do with your FJ's. I've only filled it twice so far so I don't really know what I'm doing!

• Premium Member
I put the nozzle in the hole and pump till it auto shuts off. I then pull the nozzle partially out and slowly pump till the gas stays just above the plate. It may take a few on and offs till the gas stays at the plate level. Do not fill to the top. You need to leave some room for expansion, especially if you are going to park the bike in a few miles. If you are heading out on a ride you can fill it a bit more and not worry about spillage from expansion.

I very rarely fill up then park. Instead I fill up then ride. I squeeze every drop into the tank that I can. I usually do this to my bike tank filler necks:

P1314284copy.jpg
Super Tenere 1200 tank.

You can get a bit more in, but you can get it in much faster with the holes punched (not drilled) into the filer neck.

i usually fill it until gas leaks out the top and down the sides of the bike.
Me too!  But only when I have a lit cigarette in my hand... 
;)
i quit smoking a couple years ago. now i do it while vaping.  

Interesting OX. I always wondered what you did to stop the, excuse the expression but "blow back" when filling. Guess the pilot hole in the side allows for the additional air/gas to escape too.

Will have to have a chat when I see you next.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

I usually fill to the top and stop when the nozzle clicks off. Our Cali nozzles make it hard to top off beyond that.
2818_2a_zpsx4kirkuk.jpg 
Aerostich sell those keys for $8. http://www.aerostich.com/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html
We don't have the same problem Downunder, but when I was in the US and 'on the clock' they certainly help.

Interesting OX. I always wondered what you did to stop the, excuse the expression but "blow back" when filling. Guess the pilot hole in the side allows for the additional air/gas to escape too. 
Will have to have a chat when I see you next.

That pic was from my first Super Tenere. Since then I have punched 4 holes into each and 3 FJRs and the second Super Tenere. Air vents so much more easily than fuel, so just that amount of hole allows for very rapid (and higher volume) filling.

I punch holes like the ones illustrated in the fill tubes of all my bikes, and use the gadget from Aerostich as well. The air holes allow for a completely full tank, and the gadget holds the dreaded "Vapor Cuff" back out of the way. I love that thing and give them to all my friends as gifts. Note that when you push the cuff back, there is a raised ring on the nozzle to slide the gadget behind. It looks like it was put there for that purpose!

I would caution that the holes should be punched rather than drilled so as to avoid shavings in the tank. Also, I only fill to the top if going directly on the road, particularly on hot days, in aid of avoiding overflow of expanding gas. I have never had that problem when riding directly from the pump.

• Premium Member
I fill up till it clicks. The Tracer's tank and seat were designed by the same team, in consultation with my backside. 

a 10 litre tank would suffice with the combination of OE seat and my arse 
Bagster seems comfy - dawned on me that I'm not noticing it after 50 miles so hoorah. Time will tell if it is the desired 150 miler...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived