New guy after advice

belos

Hi folks, I've been lurking around the forums for awhile just soaking it all up :)
I have a bit of a dilemma and was wondering if you kind folks would help me make a choice.
I'm 45 years old and live in the UK, been riding 125's for years and never bothered doing my test ( until the wife said i could anyways), atm i've done Mod 1 and have my mod 2 in 3 weeks.
I was in my local yam shop the other day to look at a second hand versys 650, and couldn't take my eyes off of the Tracer ... at all lol. I asked the bloke sorting me out if i could sit on the tracer too and found it felt so much lighter and more maneuverable than the kwak, just sitting on and moving round the shop a small bit, and everything just felt right...if ya know what i mean :)
He then tells me its a demo bike just going up for sale and i can have it for £7000........
I'm in a bit of a struggle here as its the bike i want as my long term but I'm not sure if its a good idea after just passing, I'm a confident rider and didn't have any troubles going from a 125 to a 650 for training, I know the training bikes don't compare to the MT but I'm thinking B mode and take my bloody time!
I thought i would ask the people who actually own Tracers what they think, as i don't think the dealer is gonna care to much about me splatting into something as long as they get the sale  :)

Help me out please folks....should I or shouldn't I?

Well - I was in a similar(ish) scenario a few years ago. I did my test when I turned 40. Had never ridden before so didn't have your experience on 125's.

When I looked around the cost of a lowish capacity bike was often more than a 600 or above (as there were so many on the market - I was buying 2nd hand). I ended up buying a Thundercat and riding that for 18 months. Covered about 18 thousand miles and loved it. I think if you are reasonably sensible/mature and take it easy you'll be fine.

I know a of a guy that passed his test a few months ago and got an MT-09 (FZ-09 for our US/Canadian friends). He scared himself a bit initially when not in 'B' mode so got the dealer to apply the tracer map and now he loves it. I think if ridden sensibly you should be fine. It's all about good throttle control and relaxing. The main issue I had when I started on the Cat was just being too tense. If you hit a bump/pothole when tense the movement is transferred to the throttle and you can end up shooting off every time you hit a bump - which can make you tense. It's a vicious circle until you learn to relax. It's probably something you won't have encountered much on the 125's. :)

I wouldn't recommend it to a young rider who is trying to learn the rules of the road and control the bike but for a mature/experienced rider/driver it should be okay.

Good luck whatever you decide!

You've been riding 125's for years, so you have lots of road awareness.  Im guessing you drive as well ? 
So your not green to the ' skills ' of other road users.
my biggest worry for you would be,  who will you be riding with, and having the nouse to resist the peer pressure to ride faster than you'll be comfortable with initialy, so id ride on your own and get to know the bike - b mode for the first few hundred miles would be a good idea as you mention.
ultimately,  you have to do whats best for you. And id haggle over that £7k price tag for a start, depending on the milage, any extras, service record, was it part of the recall last spring. And get an insurance quote, as you might be in for a shock.
good luck with what ever you do. 

pilgo said it, but I'll repeat it: Ride at a pace that is comfortable for you. NEVER let people pressure you into going to fast. I have seen the end result of that.

THis bike is a bit much for a beginner, but if you know that and ease in you should be ok. My first real bike was a 2007 FZ6, around 20 horses less than this bike. It was amazing and fast, I thought entry level bike meant beginner - I was wrong. But i survived and learned how to ride. That being said the fizzer felt longer than this bike to me, i wasnt in such a rush to wheelie! I could full throttle and take off like a rocket without the front end coming up. I do that on this bike and its wheelie time. Watch that, ride in B mode for a while.

And let us know what you choose, I hate not knowing how the story ends! :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Thank you for all the advice folks.
Doc, I was actually looking at a 2007 fz6 today, was thinking maybe 6 months on that, then get what I really want.
Pilgo, thanks for the tips. I would of just nodded n said "yes please" :)
Insurance is £400 ish fully comp..... I'm old ;)
Decisions decisions lol

I can already tell you have enough sense you will be fine. I went from a 1970 CB450 and only 2 years of riding to the FJ (Tracer). Know your limits and stay well within them. Keep in mind, your limits change throughout the day based on road conditions and your own fatigue. Respect the bike. Keep TCS on and have fun.

This bike handles very intuitively. Sure, it's got some power, but if you don't want that, don't turn your wrist as much. There's always B mode to calm the nerves for the first ride. We hillbilly Americans still struggle with your licensing overseas so please excuse the next question. Since its a demo, can you take it for a test ride to see how you handle it?

• Premium Member
I would not hesitate to recommend this bike to a beginner (with normal athletics and balance) for the following reasons:
It is light, so the weight will not catch you out.
It has traction control, so it will not wheelie by accident.
It has ABS, and the brakes work rather well.
It is not a Hardley, so you will be wearing the proper gear hopefully.
You can start out in B mode if you are afraid of the power, but it is not that much to be afraid of.
My first bike was a Yamaha 2 stroke pinger 175 enduro when I was 16. Then a Honda Nighthawk 650 when I was 23. And finally, as an older adult, I started on a VFR750, then a CBR954rr, FZ1 (1st gen), R1, FJR1300, and now my F-Jay. I was afraid of the power of the 954 and the R1, until I realized it was no big thing. I just rode them like normal after slowly applying more and more power to get use to them.
Where you can get into trouble with a 1 Liter bike, is how fast they accelerate, which you might use to try and catch up to other riders. Then the turn comes up and you just freeze, hit the brake hard, or ride off the road hoping for a good result. Anyhow, YMMV.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Where you can get into trouble with a 1 Liter bike, is how fast they accelerate, which you might use to try and catch up to other riders. Then the turn comes up and you just freeze, hit the brake hard, or ride off the road hoping for a good result. Anyhow, YMMV.
This, a thousand times, this. Seen it far too many times.  Biggest advice to novice riders: Ride your OWN pace. Never get sucked in to riding over your head.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Enjoy Belos. Ease into your new FJ. Nice choice.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Good for you! Be safe and enjoy!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived