Chinese Steering Damper with bracket. Anyone seen this?

rambodog

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Damper-with-Mounting-Bracket-For-YAMAHA-MT-09-Tracer-2015-/111737983080?nav=SEARCH

I came across this on ebay and haven't seen any mention of it yet on the forum. Anyone seen it before or have one? The bracket looks pretty cool especially if you can swap the damper out for a GPS or Scotts. The generic one looks similar to the Scotts, I wonder if it's a copy...Anyone have an opinion on this thing?

wow, thats an amazing price for a steering damper. I have seen someone else had a chinese damper but it was a different design.

Buy one and let us know how it works! :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

i bought a similar one (with a central knob to control damping) for about 90USD but only the damper. 
the damper performs very well up to now (~4k kms mostly short trip and lane filtering...), on long trips on highway, just need to increase damping to get a more relax ride. No impact related to temp (driving now with ~3degree celsius, all fine)
driven it in rain but propably my trial period is to short. 
i would advise to buy the adapter with it (it took me about 1,5 days to make and install one on my bike (also because i did not have all the tools to install everything)

Lucadit, have you used any of the expensive ones to compare with this? It seems like a fairly simple concept, i coildnt figure out why they cost so much and if it was worth it.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

@docsimple: this is my first bike with a steer damper so i would not be able to compare against any steer damper from experience.
the bike certainly needs one. (all other bikes i owned/rode were fine as they were)
indeed, the concept seems simple so if the damper has lesser quality compared to the more expensive ones, i would expect it to either be
- damping itself shows different behaviour
- manufacturing differences between samples
- sealing issues 
- sensible to corrosion 
- or alikes...

because of the control knob that controls damping force, manufacturing diffs related to damping itself are not really an issue. leaves the sealing/corrosion etc.
The damping itself, if you really pay attention, there is a very minor lag in damping kicking in when turning the steer. while driving the bike, i do not notice this ( the FJ became for more stable). Could be the oil used in the damper but since its fine as delivered, i did not change oil. (this would be in 2y from now to evaluate that one)

Anyway, for 90USD and 1,5 day of amateur at work , i thought to give it a try and am happy with it. 

• Premium Member
Looks like a direct knock off of the Scott's damper with a unique mount. I do like how it appears you won't need to remove the handle bar mounts. It is not easy to get at the nuts and not roll the edges as well.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I looked closely at the bracket and it seems to me that it will only work with the handlebar in the rearward position.  I prefer the forward setting so I passed this by.  If someone tries this damper will you please confirm my assessment?
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 1 year later...
I got one of these to reduce steering oscillation that can happen at passing speeds. The stabilizer makes oscillation less likely to begin with normal riding, but doesn't reduce oscillation I've begun intentionally with a short press to one side of handlebar. Didn't come with instructions but easy to install with security Torx T50 bit from Home Depot.

• Supporting Member
I got one of these to reduce steering oscillation that can happen at passing speeds. The stabilizer makes oscillation less likely to begin with normal riding, but doesn't reduce oscillation
I cant help but think that if the suspension is adjusted, you wont need a device like this.  I use a Scotts and GPR on dirt bikes, but I am constantly hitting tree roots and rocks. When I first bought my bike, I noticed the light feeling front end at interstate or passing speeds, after tweaking the suspension I have never noticed it again.
I just got back from a week long road trip, part of it was through the barren wastes of central Nevada, MANY opportunities to bring her up into triple digits and no head shake at all.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived