Michelin PR4 Standard or GT tire replacement

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Anybody able to tell me which is better for the FJ or no difference between them for our application? Michelin PR4 Standard vs PR4 GT?
All of the sport touring tyres, premium brands with dual compounds will be fine. I'm still using the stock D222 front with a Dunlop Roadsmart 2. If the front needs replacing before the rear wears out then I'll get a Roadsmart 2 on the front as well.

In my view, the differences people report are more to do with confidence once they have an incident where grip is not so good. More than likely that was due to a poor or contaminated road surface, their error in not spotting some gravel or water or just plain over-exuberance. After that, any slight bump in the road is caused by the tyre not other factors. 

If I get to the point where I'm going to buy a pair of tyres then I'll see what is available (we get shortages in the UK at certain times of the year, especially spring time if the sun shines) and choose from there. I'd be happy with any of the sport touring tyres from Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli. Metzeler, Avon or Bridgestone. My snob gland prevents me from picking Cheng Shin and Maxxis although they are supposedly quite good nowadays...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I personally love the PR4 GTs as the standard PR4 were out of stock when replacement due ,I  find them extremely good all round and as I do a lot of 2 up fully loaded trips they are perfect and as stated above tyre life is exceptional , also they have stunning wet weather grip .....even though they say they are for heavy touring bikes no problems what so ever. 

I have no experience with the PR4s on the FJ-09. I do have experience with them on my FJR1300...and from my experience when the FJ-09 is ready for tires [strong]I will be installing the non-GT spec tire[/strong].

I have installed both spec tires on my FJR. The GT spec tire was disappointing to say the least. I removed it at 5K miles...it was done. I decided to give the non-GT spec version a chance...I am very pleased with the performance of that model. I have just over 5K miles on them and they appear ever so slightly worn. It looks like I will easily hit the 9 or 10K mark before replacement. I don't know the details but I think the GT-spec tire has stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes and imparts every bit of force into the tire face. The non-GTs feel more compliant. I only put on about 15K miles on my bike a year so I am not the best person to ask. There are others out there who put real miles on their bike in a year. Hopefully they can chime in.

Anybody able to tell me which is better for the FJ or no difference between them for our application? Michelin PR4 Standard vs PR4 GT?
No real need to buy the GT as it comes with stiffer sidewalls, more plys.  The tires are basically the same.  Reports are that you will get slightly better wear out of the GT.  Reports are also saying that we that don't drag our knees will also do just as well on the GTs in the corners.  Spend the money if you think you will get more miles as no one here can tell you the difference in that catagory. 
I ran the PR4s on my FJR and got less miles (aprox: 1200) than 4 sets of PR3s on the rear, and slightly more miles out of the front PR4.  I now run PR4 front and PR3 rear.  On the FJ I ran the PR4 front and PR3 rear and took them off at 8800 for a trip.  I measured the tread to the wear bars and figure I can get 2,500 more out of the rear and 5,000 out of the front.

Now here is the catch.  I love the PR tire and will not run anything else on the FJR (based on 26 sets of different tires), but on the FJ I was not impressed with the PR performance in the twisties.  I like the Roadsmart 2's better, and am trying the Stones T30 Evo next.  I may be back on the PR's due to the fact that they wear longer.  Rears appear to wear 10-11K vs RS2s at 8000 (2 sets tested).  Quite a few FJR riders use the T30 front and PR4 rear.  Just need to do your own homework, and ride a lot to find the combo that works for you.  If your tires last 3-4 years, you will never know what works  for you.  Just saying.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member
I had PR4s delivered and they appear to be narrower than the stock D222s. I haven't measured but the eye test shows a big difference. Anyone else experience this?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

I have no experience with the PR4s on the FJ-09. I do have experience with them on my FJR1300...and from my experience when the FJ-09 is ready for tires [strong]I will be installing the non-GT spec tire[/strong]. 
I have installed both spec tires on my FJR. The GT spec tire was disappointing to say the least. I removed it at 5K miles...it was done. I decided to give the non-GT spec version a chance...I am very pleased with the performance of that model. I have just over 5K miles on them and they appear ever so slightly worn. It looks like I will easily hit the 9 or 10K mark before replacement. I don't know the details but I think the GT-spec tire has stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes and imparts every bit of force into the tire face. The non-GTs feel more compliant. I only put on about 15K miles on my bike a year so I am not the best person to ask. There are others out there who put real miles on their bike in a year. Hopefully they can chime in.

Pretty much my experience also.  Have tried the GT and found no improvement in durability on my FJR so now use a non-GT PR4 on the back and a T30 Evo on the front.  This is a great combination on this bike.  I am getting about 8500 on the rear with the PR4 and the best I could usually get is 6500 with any other brand.  Plus the handling stays consistent right up to replacement which is very nice.  My previous favorite, the Angel GT used to start going off at about 50% wear and I would have to pull the bike over to get it to turn.  I also like the 'Stones T30 rear but wear wasn't quite as good but may try it again if I can find one on sale.

SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

I would recommended the NON-GT tires. The GT's have a stiffer side wall and is not needed in a full loaded FJ.(in my opinion)
Saying that I have PR4-GT and they seem to be working fine, but the only reason I have GT's is because my local bike shop cant seem to get anything right with me.

• Premium Member
Thanks guys but my question is are the PR4s narrower than other tires of the same size? For example are all 120/70 front tires of identical width, or is there some variation between manufacturers?

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

To answer your question about PR-4's width:  YES the PR-4 are narrower, about 1/2" to be exact.  The PR-3 are about 1/4" narrower and not as noticeable.  I made the same observation and did the measurements way back when I put the PR-4's on my FJR, which was next to my FZ-09.  The Dunlops, D222 and Roadsmarts are wider by far.  Maybe that is why the Dunlops feel better in the corners to me. 

If you want the wider look, don't go with Michelin PR-4s.  Remember, the narrower the tire, the quicker the turn-in in the twisties, but since the FJ turns in very quickly anyway, maybe the wider tire will work best for you to slow that down.  You just have to play with them to find out.  Biggest trouble is that it takes so long to wear them out for some.

I have been wanting to update my last post in this thread, so here is my review with the T-30's thrown into the mix.  I am running my second rear T-30 Evo now, along with my first T-30 Evo on the front.  Looks like the T-30 will make it to 10,000 consistantly, just about equal to what I figured the PR-4's would do and 2K better then the Roadsmart 2s.  I liked the Dunlop Rdsmt 2s better than the Michelin PR-4s because they worked better in the twisties for the FJ and now I like the T-30 the best as they work just as well as the Dunlops but provide better mileage.  Also, it looks like I can get two rears for one front.   I haven't been able to do that with the Michelins or the Dunlops.  The T30's are also very good in the wet, but not quite as good as the Michelins.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived