The 12 step how to: replace FJ-09 oil pan

com3

So, as some of you guys know already, I cratered the oil pan on my FJ09 while riding two up with Kinsy on Carmel Valley Road over xmas. All 3 quarts of yummy synthetic 10w 40 splooged everywhere. On rear tire, the undercarriage, the saddle bags, and even on the backpack Kinsy was wearing. Everywhere. Instant slip-n-slide-deathride.

20151227_132612-01-L.jpg

So I recently fixed the bike and I took pics throughout the process.
The stock part number 1RC-13400-00-00 has been superseded by B56-13400-00-00 which has the plug to the side. This is the oil pan for the 2016 FJ-09.

Step 1) Stare at the bike for an incredibly long time, hoping that it will somehow fix itself, only to realize that it will not. And be dissapointed by this fact.
20160107_172633-XL.jpg

Since I had oil all over both tires, I had to replace both front and rear. So I had to put the bike up on stands. Something I’ve done a thousand times before…but alas, the FJ doesn’t always cooperate…I pulled the spools off my GSXR, since it was easily accessible in my tiny and crammed-with-bikes garage… only to realize that Yamaha uses 6mm threads and Suzuki does not. So I dug the R6 out from the depths and took those spools instead.

Step 2) Remove the pesky ABS sensor so that your front stand will actually go under the fork legs.

20160107_174133-XL.jpg

Now that it’s up…20 minutes later, I’m ready to rock and roll:

20160107_174541-L.jpg

Step 3) Front tire off. One pinch bolt? Well, that’s easy enough. It’ll give you more room to fumble around with the headers. I suppose this is an optional step, as you don’t HAVE to pull off the front wheel if you don’t have oil all over it like I did.

20160107_175951-XL.jpg

Step 4) Remove the o2 sensor. This part was a little scary. Unclip it from the retainer for maximum slack so you don’t twist the wire right in half. It felt like it was never going to stop unscrewing.

20160107_180517-XL.jpg

Step 5) Headers. I loosened up the front first so that when I pulled the bolts from the cat, it wouldn’t put too much stress up front. I’m just OCD tho.

20160107_180909-XL.jpg

Be sure to often point at the nuts and bolts pointedly. You can even tell it who the boss is outloud. It’ll help.

20160107_181012-XL.jpg

Step 6) The two rear exhaust bolts. I musta forgot to take a pic of em…but they’re behind the rearsets. simple enough. #12 T-Handle FTW!

It took me a minute to figure out, but if you rotate the exhaust clockwise as you see in the pic while simultaniously cursing and spitting, the catalytic converter WILL fit through the center stand. It’s not necessary to completely pull it out tho, as I found out later…I just kinda kneeled on my left knee while holding the headers with my hands and using the toe of my right shoe to modulate the centerstand until I got it to break free.

20160107_181206-L.jpg

Pay attention to the exhaust washers. Make sure they don’t fall out when you put it all back together. And try not to accidently get any blinker fluid in there either.

20160107_181336-L.jpg

Step 7) Remove all seven hundred bolts from the oil pan/strainer cover.

20160107_182041-L.jpg

Step 8) Um…I’m not 100% sure what this part is…but you have to take it off. It’s easier if you loosen it up, then pop it out once the oil pan is off. It’s probably important, so try not to break it.

20160107_181436-L.jpg

VIOLA! With a gentle tug from the corner, the FJ’s panties hit the floor. Here, you see the FJ09’s gentleman’s sausage….which is odd, because mine’s a girl…

20160107_182438-L.jpg

Step 9) Scrutinize your new and your old oil pan, side by side. Curse Yamaha for their terrible design in the first place. Silently rage, thinking about how Yamaha should be GIVING these updated oil pans away to every single MT09/FZ09/FJ09 owner in the world, with hand written apologies for endangering your life, the lives of your loved ones, and the life of that old granny you just nearly took out while skidding your way to a stop.

20160107_182636-L.jpg

Step 10) Do everything you just did again, but in reverse order. Like if you’re rewinding an old cassette tape. Have fun. It helps to have a second set of hands to hold the cat while guiding the headers back into their magical home.

EXTRA STEPS:

Step 11) Remove your oil saturated rear wheel. And place it next to the front wheel. Take a moment to admire the fact that even with tires saturated in oil while traveling at 35-40mph, you still have the skills…nay, the PANACHE to wrangle the Sausage Creature and shout “NO! NOT TODAY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!” and bring it in safe and upright. Then you should flex and kiss your biceps for added effect.

20160107_225311-XL.jpg

20160107_201531-L.jpg

Step 12) Spend hours of your time cleaning vigorously. Use many nitrile gloves and paper towels on the non-sexy-painted parts, like the engine and swingarm and underbelly before finishing up with microfiber towels and polish on everything else.  I enjoy Simple Green. It’s even safe to consume in small quantities. And you can feed it to your wife’s plants if you run out of water.

20160107_202642-L.jpg

REASEMBLE AND YOU’RE DONE! No longer is the oil pan the lowest portion of the motorcycle!

20160107_210346-L.jpg

20160108_225106-L.jpg

PS – don’t forget to shine them new tires up!

20160108_224812-L.jpg

1. Best write up ever.
2. It scares me how clean your work space is. I would be unable to work when not surrounded by tools, parts, sports equipment I'll never use and old oil in gallon jugs.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

1. Best write up ever. 2. It scares me how clean your work space is. I would be unable to work when not surrounded by tools, parts, sports equipment I'll never use and old oil in gallon jugs.

Clean?! Ugh! My garage drives me crazy. It's so cluttered and dirty. It's one of two rooms in this 1948 house we bought that we haven't yet renovated. When it's done, it'll be clean and nice. Haha. Thx tho. :)

Nice write up! Curious, I am either going to be purchasing the protective skid plate option or the new designed oil pan like you pictured in the write up. I can not find that new design with the drain bolt relocated on the side of the pan. Do you have a part number for the new pan? Or where you got it?

Any help would be great!  8-)

• Premium Member
REASEMBLE AND YOU’RE DONE! No longer is the oil pan the lowest portion of the motorcycle! 
20160107_210346-L.jpg

Absolutely fantastic, and hilarious write-up! BTW- it's too late for you, but performing the low profile drain plug modification also provides similar results.
IMG_0720.JPG

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I put the low profile plug in yesterday. Now I need to get a grinder to take care of that ridiculous fin. I dont wanna take out 700 bolts!  ???

IMG_0720.JPG 

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I put the low profile plug in yesterday. Now I need to get a grinder to take care of that ridiculous fin. I dont wanna take out 700 bolts!  ??? 

It is best to rough cut it using a Sawzall or similar device and final file/sand it down. A grinder is not required. I have one, and used it, but it was not necessary. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Nice write up! Curious, I am either going to be purchasing the protective skid plate option or the new designed oil pan like you pictured in the write up. I can not find that new design with the drain bolt relocated on the side of the pan. Do you have a part number for the new pan? Or where you got it? 
Part number added to first post, but here it is: The stock part number 1RC-13400-00-00 has been superseded by B56-13400-00-00 which has the plug to the side. This is the oil pan for the 2016 FJ-09.

You can buy it here for $119.06, linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Part number added to first post, but here it is: The stock part number 1RC-13400-00-00 has been superseded by B56-13400-00-00 which has the plug to the side. This is the oil pan for the 2016 FJ-09.

You can buy it here for $119.06, linky

Or you can buy it where I bought it from for $187 + tax... Just sayin

• Premium Member
GREAT writeup... Laughing all the way through. Good pics & great info. And yeah, damn nice save. Only 1 in 100 people could have ridden that out!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I thoroughly enjoyed that write up and thanks again for surviving.
I see by your blistered Diaablo's that you may like the very edge as I do, it's more fun over there.

Simple Green rocks.

Are you using track take-offs ? The new ones look wasted already.