Suggested Electronic Security

Hello. I am looking for and have found several electronic devices that disable the bikes ignition and I was wondering if any of you have had experience with them and would recommend any. I see most people use a mechanical lock and I was thinking the combination of both would be the best world. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

My two main concerns are:

1. Not voiding the warranty
2. Not getting stranded

• Premium Member
I just remove the key - in the EU, the bike has an immobiliser as standard. There is a RFID transponder in the key. The ECU is only activated if one of the 3 keys supplied with the bike is within range of the antenna.

Can this module be retrofitted to non-EU bikes?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

JDM bikes also come with an immobilizer. I suspect that the conversion would be fairly extensive, and may include an ECU from somewhere other than North America. Honestly, I can't believe the North American market version doesn't come with an immobilizer.

• Premium Member
JDM bikes also come with an immobilizer. I suspect that the conversion would be fairly extensive, and may include an ECU from somewhere other than North America. Honestly, I can't believe the North American market version doesn't come with an immobilizer.
Price. 
We bemoan how bikes are so much cheaper in the US compared to Europe.

Yamaha have to cut corners somewhere. The omitted immobiliser is one, 1 year warranty in US v 2 year in UK, 1 year RAC breakdown cover in the UK compared to none in the US and the main one where they recover the difference is that the US service schedule is at 4000 mile intervals v 6000 miles in the UK, so 50% more services. Add all of those up and you soon get to the £1000 price differential.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Price.
Well, yes and no. I mean, it has to cost more in manufacturing to produce the bike in a different way for the NA market.

And wow. I'm so glad this bike is domestic for me. Your UK prices are outrageous. I paid about 3000 GBP less (according to google conversion) for mine than the price listed on the Yamaha UK site.

• Premium Member
Price.
Well, yes and no. I mean, it has to cost more in manufacturing to produce the bike in a different way for the NA market. 
And wow. I'm so glad this bike is domestic for me. Your UK prices are outrageous. I paid about 3000 GBP less (according to google conversion) for mine than the price listed on the Yamaha UK site.
Just be grateful you don't pay Danish price - some of the differential will be the transport costs but much will be tax. 
As someone who worked in a UK production environment (Xerox) where the production process was designed on the Japanese "Just in Time" model due to a joint venture with Fuji, integrating "added value" items into final production is fairly easily. It relies on sub-assemblies made elsewhere, usually third parties in places like China, India, Mexico & Brazil.  Nissan, Toyota & Honda have car factories in the UK and they are masters of designing this type of assembly, with multiple variations of a model on the production line at the same time. 

Archived