SW Motech Alu-Rack

• Premium Member
Has anyone installed one on their FJ? If so...Is it relatively light?  - Not bad.  A few pounds, maybe 3-4? (forgot to weigh it before installing)How big is the rack (width and  length)?  15 inch at the widest, 12 at the narrowest and it extends 7 inches beyond the end of the tail light.Are you happy with it if you use it to lash gear down?  Untested, but has a lot of locations for straps, bungies, etc.Does it seem well made and like the paint or powdercoat are going to last?  Looks very well made.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers4296282.jpg

So I bought one, installed it and have updated the info for anyone curious about this rack. 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Sort of...

I took the one off my 'Busa and modified it to fit the FJ9, as SW-M didn't have it out for the FJ at the time.

DSC_0393_zpsg1hacjvs.jpg
DSC_0394_zpsmzb865rg.jpg
DSC_0397_zpsvuajz5tm.jpg

On the road...

DSC_9376_zps3ksx5h0d.jpg

I can't say much about the FJ specific version, but I love the Alu-Rack, and have been using it for years with either a small top box for around town, or a flat rack (for duffels) for longer trips. Finish has held up fine, no issues whatsoever. Double happy since it (just about) bolted right up to the FJ9...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The rack replaces the passenger grab rails, so it should sit above the FJR hard bags. If you look at my pic at the top you can see about how far it clears the stock luggage mount. I'd call twisted throttle.
I will try to get you a side shot later tonight. I don't have hard luggage, so can't answer the question directly.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
FWIW I had two Alu-Racks in my Street Triple and they both ultimately failed due to metal fatigue. This was with a smallish (32qt) topcase with normal stuff in it (laptop, clothes).
Did the tubing fail or did the weld beads break?Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
Both times, I returned the failed Alu-Rack to TwistedThrottle. The first time they credited me, and the second time they refunded me. (The second time I had to make my request rather firmly, and point out that I had seen mention of this happening to other people. They asked me a couple of times (and I don't blame them) whether I had been exceeding the weight limits, which I hadn't been. Immediately before the first failure, I had been riding on some rather rough roads that had involved a lot of bouncing--I think this may have contributed. They were still public roads though; I was not off-roading on my Street Triple. Even less of an ADV than an FJ!)

Obviously there are plenty of people out there (and in this thread) who haven't had any problems.

Also, the Street Triple Alu-Rack may be more failure-prone than the FJ one. The geometry is different, and it was a bit of a lever. I have no idea.

Just sharing my personal experience.

every time I see Alurack I think youre talking about the Hepco Becker model. I bought one from Motomachines about the same price. Difference is the rack is made of a Krptonite/Unobtanium blend that would require a bolt of lightning from Zeus to destroy. No really, I love this rack.

It also changes the grab bars so the back end is unique and STRONG.

Sorry to hijack the thread; just recommending the other, other white meat.

9tUiFEW.jpg?1
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived