Handlebar Questions

checkereddemon

I tried using Search, it never pops up to a working data input screen, so here goes:  Does anyone have the handlebar dimensions for the stock FJ bars?  I believe they are 1.125" (1 1/8") diameter at the clamps.  But do they taper at the bar ends?

If anyone knows specifically what the diameter, width, height, rise, sweep, wall thickness, weight (!!), and controls area lengths are, I'd be much obliged.  I think the bars need just a bit of rise and a little more sweep, anyone else have any experience with these bars and/or replacements?

Many thanks,

-CD-

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the stock bars they are to straight and I wanted something with a little more pull back.

To fit the clamps they have to be a Protaper type bar, so I ordered the Raptor Bend Protaper Bar, it has the most sweep back. Being these are dirt bike bars I think that is the most you will be able to find.

They sweep back about 1.5" more and are a couple of inches taller. I had the Rox risers on the stock bars but took them off 
with these bars. It has been pouring rain since I put these on and haven't had a chance to ride but they feel more comfortable just sitting there.

Here's a link for the best price I found. You have to use the pull down menu to find them.

By the way the cables are pretty close to there limit but work and I have a 3" longer clutch cable fro motion pro ($50)

http://4wheelonline.com/atv/protaper-atv-contour-handlebars.228227.0

Thank you SO much Dencos, that is VERY helpful!!

A couple more questions:

1) Which selection did you choose from the dropdown, there are many options.

2) Do you think the Renthal Fat Bar "Streetfighter" bar might work?  I had these on the Bandit (1200) and they were *awesome* bars that I could ride with all day long!

http://road.renthal.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3875

TIA,

-CD-
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

any 1 1/8 bar should work. You will have to drill holes for the set pegs on the controls - or grind them off. I will be looking at the maximum sweep I can get.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Cruizin' wondered:
"The Google search format built into this forum works for me but let me know if it doesn't work for you. "

I can never get the Search page to come up, it just sits there "Loading...."

-CD-
-CD-

The Doctor queried:

>> what browser are you using? <<

Firefox, 64-bit edition, Windoze 7 Home Premium, 8 GB RAM...

-CD-
-CD-

• Premium Member
I am using Firefox 43.0.4 32 bit version with no issues. The 64 bit version has only been out officially since Mid December 2015, so there may be compatibility issues. Download the 32 bit version and check back.

Also try the following from your address field:
handlebar site:fj-09.org and hit enter.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I chose the Raptor Bend, If you look at column E on the link page the Raptor has the most sweep back @ 87mm.
Then go to the drop down and choose the Raptor.

Docsimple is right you will have to drill the peg holes for the controls to mount. I measured the first side and was off a little on my vertical location
so  the other side I mounted the bars slid the control on and marked it with a sharpie, pulled it back then drilled. That worked better.

I looked at your streetfighter bar, that doesn't look like a fat bar, I think it's a 7/8" bar and won't fit the clamps. It's sweep is 72mm.

The problem I see with these bars is they are all dirt bike bends which tend to be much straighter for the leverage and standing up all the time.
I have ridden dirt off and on for 40 years so I am used to the straighter bars. But the older I get I like a more relaxed bend for the street.

That being said the Raptor which is a Quad bar seems to be a pretty good compromise, But like I said it has been raining pretty much non stop 
up here in Nor Cal (way up almost Oregon) so I haven't been able to go for a ride yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Great Dencos, thanks for the feedback! I'm anxious to hear how that Raptor bend works for you! Yes, some more sweep would probably be a good thing....
-CD-

Finally had a day without rain and some time off. 
I like the raptor bars, the sweep seems to be enough to take the odd angle my wrists were bent at.
I only rode for about and hour, but it was more comfortable than the stockers for sure.

Old Guy, the Super Tenere bars seems like they would work well, that about double the sweep of Raptors. 
Let us know how they work if you try them. They might stretch the control cables to much, The Raptors pretty much had 
them at their limit. (except the clutch, it's a 3" longer motion pro)

Archived