Handlebar Questions

checkereddemon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1967 305 Honda scrambler, I'm doing a restoration but don't really like the stock colors. 
I like restoring  vintage bikes, I have a couple 305 scramblers, couple BSA's , Norton, KZ1000 and looking for a Triumph project.
The KZ i bought new in 1978, had a 305 in High School.
But you know, I think the FJ is the most fun bike I've had since high school on the 305.

PMEeBXG.jpg

XZagWuG.jpg

f6OUIIB.jpg

So you didnt need any new cabling, clutch wires? And did you drill for the set pegs or grind them off?

If this is a one to one exchange it would certainly be the cheapest way to get a more comfortable grip.

I didn't have a problem with the fit, everything worked out fine. I think I attached some pic's (craigslist is much easier)

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I had purchased a 3" longer clutch cable (motion pro $50) when I put the Rox risers on. The stock clutch cable barley fit and was stretched to its limit.
When I installed the Raptor bars I took the risers off as they were taller than the stockers. The brake I had loosened previously with the risers by separating  the liner around the brake line on the triple clamps. The throttle ok, but I wouldn't want it any tighter. I'm comfortable with the cable lengths at this point but any more height or sweep is going to be  a problem.

so the longer clutch cable is a must? I pl;an on doing that anyway but wanting to chnag ethe bar sooner than later. The awkward hand position gives my thumbs cramps.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Some where on the forum somebody said they got some slack by loosening something around the radiator (i think) and maybe relocating the cable.
You might look around down there to see what you can make work. Other than that I would definitly order the clutch cable.
If you order the bars look at my post above for a link, they were 1/2 the price of other sites.

Oh and I drilled the bars for the pegs, i tried the measure method first but they were off because of the different bend.
The other side I put the controls on where I wanted them marked with a sharpie then pulled them back and drilled, perfect fit.

cool, thanks much. I have been waffling on what to do next. Im down to expensive choices but this isn't to bad and should yield a nice comfort increase
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Some where on the forum somebody said they got some slack by loosening something around the radiator (i think) and maybe relocating the cable. You might look around down there to see what you can make work. Other than that I would definitly order the clutch cable.
If you order the bars look at my post above for a link, they were 1/2 the price of other sites.
ordered the bars in that damn sexy gold and I have an email out to motion pro on the clutch cable.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

cool, thanks much. I have been waffling on what to do next. Im down to expensive choices but this isn't to bad and should yield a nice comfort increase      Wish I would have went with the bars the first time. The Rox risers cost more than the bars.

yup, i have a pair of Rox in the garage off my old bike. they fit but no cables will reach. Maybe someday I'll lengthen everything.... maybe.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 2 weeks later...
I installed a set of Renthal Street Naked handle bars with G 2 bar end inserts yesterday. I love them, they are what should have come with the bike.  The dimensions are about the same as the stock bars but with more sweep, 86mm. The wires and clutch cable were ok and I am using the expensive EU billet adjustable risers set higher and all the way back.

I installed a set of Renthal Street Naked handle bars with G 2 bar end inserts yesterday. I love them, they are what should have come with the bike.  The dimensions are about the same as the stock bars but with more sweep, 86mm. The wires and clutch cable were ok and I am using the expensive EU billet adjustable risers set higher and all the way back.
Photos of the new bar installed???
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived