Handlebar Questions

checkereddemon

I have installed Renthal Streetfighter bars on my wife's FJ09 and bought a pair for my bike as well. Installation was pretty simple but, if you are going to install the stock hand guards you will need to have someone tap the new bars so you can screw the plug on the end of the stock bars into the Renthal bars. If you are not using the handguards, you will need to move the holes you will need to drill for the controls in about 1/2" per side to account for removal of the plug that threads into the end of the stock bars. Don't ask how I know.

All cables, etc., fit fine with the new bars.

After riding my wife's bike for about an hour straight today, I'd say the thumb pain issue is about 75-80% solved. Left was fine and just a slight bit of pain in the right. I think I will mount my controls a bit more inboard when I do my bike and see if that cures the issue. If so, I'll modify my wife's bike as well. I did not account for the loss of the plug at the end of the bars on her bike so her grips stick out over the end of the bars a bit. I will be installing bar end weights.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with these in stainless steel, long:

http://www.satoracing.com/handlebarend.htm

very pleased with the weight and quality.

I have installed Renthal Streetfighter bars on my wife's FJ09 and bought a pair for my bike as well. Installation was pretty simple but, if you are going to install the stock hand guards you will need to have someone tap the new bars so you can screw the plug on the end of the stock bars into the Renthal bars. If you are not using the handguards, you will need to move the holes you will need to drill for the controls in about 1/2" per side to account for removal of the plug that threads into the end of the stock bars. Don't ask how I know.  
All cables, etc., fit fine with the new bars.

After riding my wife's bike for about an hour straight today, I'd say the thumb pain issue is about 75-80% solved. Left was fine and just a slight bit of pain in the right. I think I will mount my controls a bit more inboard when I do my bike and see if that cures the issue. If so, I'll modify my wife's bike as well. I did not account for the loss of the plug at the end of the bars on her bike so her grips stick out over the end of the bars a bit. I will be installing bar end weights.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

some, but my bars are not the stockers. I used the Raptor bars. And I had to replace all the cabling to make it work. Im not into stretching those lines.

But yes, some. I was considering grip puppies and filling the bars with shot or silicone.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I have Grip Puppies. They work pretty well for the money spent. Not perfect, but certainly an improvement.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 1 year later...
Dencos,
You mentioned a triumph project? How about a 70 bonnie? In tiger gold? I really want to have someone build this bike for my 76 year old father. It's all original and in need of a carb tune and sync some other TLC.
Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I picked up my new, 2017 FJ 09 last Saturday and just noticed that the handlebars seem to be rotated forward just enough to put the top of the hand guards level with the grips so that the top of my hands are above the top of the guards. Worse, I'm reaching down for the clutch and brake so that I have to keep my hands pointing down instead of flat, as I prefer them. Is this normal? Can I just loosen the bolts and rotate the handlebar so that my hands can be flat? Many thanks for any advice on this.

I picked up my new, 2017 FJ 09 last Saturday and just noticed that the handlebars seem to be rotated forward just enough to put the top of the hand guards level with the grips so that the top of my hands are above the top of the guards. Worse, I'm reaching down for the clutch and brake so that I have to keep my hands pointing down instead of flat, as I prefer them. Is this normal? Can I just loosen the bolts and rotate the handlebar so that my hands can be flat? Many thanks for any advice on this. 

Happens every time it seems - sloppy pre-delivery prep by dealer.   Yes - just do what you suggest above, then adjust the mirrors on the stalks accordingly..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Dencos, You mentioned a triumph project? How about a 70 bonnie? In tiger gold? I really want to have someone build this bike for my 76 year old father. It's all original and in need of a carb tune and sync some other TLC.
Thoughts?

Sorry, I just now saw your post.   
I do these restorations for my own enjoyment, It's not a full time occupation just a hobby. Sorry I couldn't help.

• 2 months later...
I read all the posts here but could not come to a conclusion on the handlebars(need to replace the bars since I dropped my FJ right after I changed my tires :( ) .My bars are slightly bent to the right.

I am looking for a handlebar which is as close to stock as possible. I don't want to change clutch cables,throttle cables. Currently looking at Pro taper EVO,Renthal fatbar OR should I just go with the OEM?
Are the tapered EVO's direct fit? (1 1/8" at the clamp and 7/8" at the end)
Any other suggestions guys?

I read all the posts here but could not come to a conclusion on the handlebars(need to replace the bars since I dropped my FJ right after I changed my tires :( ) .My bars are slightly bent to the right. 
I am looking for a handlebar which is as close to stock as possible. I don't want to change clutch cables,throttle cables. Currently looking at Pro taper EVO,Renthal fatbar OR should I just go with the OEM?

The OEM bars are the only ones that come with the indexing holes for the control pods. The holes are easy to add to other bars.  If you don't want to drill holes in your bars, you can trim the nub off the ID of the control pods.  I've done to several bikes in the past.  I installed Renthal Street Fighter Fatbars, whch is the same as their 450KXF dirtbike bars. Fatbars are similar dimension as OEM, but a little more sweep.

The OEM bars are the only ones that come with the indexing holes for the control pods. The holes are easy to add to other bars.  If you don't want to drill holes in your bars, you can trim the nub off the ID of the control pods.  I've done to several bikes in the past.  I installed Renthal Street Fighter Fatbars, whch is the same as their 450KXF dirtbike bars. Fatbars are similar dimension as OEM, but a little more sweep.

@carey, Thanks for the response. Do these Renthal bars come with inner bar end threads to mount bar end weights/hand guards? or did you get them threaded?  Is the straight length sufficient enough to mount grips, control housings, and mirror/clutch-throttle? mounts

@carey , Thanks for the response. Do these Renthal bars come with inner bar end threads to mount bar end weights/hand guards? or did you get them threaded?  Is the straight length sufficient enough to mount grips, control housings, and mirror/clutch-throttle? mounts
They don't come threaded, but I threaded them my self.  I bought the tap at Lowes.  Yamaha bar end have the same thread pitch since at least 1986. The straight length was fine to mount at OEM components.  Renthal's website has the dimensions listed.

Archived