Poor mans rear mud guard

Henchman

• Premium Member
I started with a Yoshimura tail tidy, better than stock, but ultimately I was unhappy with the look, and of course there is zero protection from spray.  So switched to the poor mans tail tidy http://fj-09.org/thread/241/fender-eliminators-come-poors-trick
I like the looks but still a little spray after my last ride.  I had already rotated the mount bracket 180 degrees.  

My solution (hopefully, as it has not been tested) is to fabricate a mud guard that mounts behind the license plate, and extends below it another 3-3/8", width is 5-3/4"

4291667.jpg

I had a piece of 1/16" plastic acquired from TAP Plastics scrap bin here in town for $1.50 - textured on one side.  Taking inspiration from the OE rear hugger, I designed the guard tail.  Cut out with tin snips, filed and sanded where appropriate, then sprayed both sides with black satin Krylon. Fortunately, the mis-drilled hole is covered.  Textured side facing rear.

4291683.jpg

4291684.jpg

4291691.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures outside, but you get the idea.  It adds some coverage while looking factory.  I'll update on the coverage after I hit some wet roads again.

Very clever, Henchman, good on ya!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
UPDATE: The guard works, but there was still some spray getting through between the space behind the plate mount bracket, though not much. So I added another DIY piece to deal with it.

4328309.jpg

4328310.jpg

4328311.jpg

4328312.jpg

Not sure if I like how it looks, but it is what it is and it did indeed help.

It looks great, don't sweat that detail, just get out and ride 'er!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived