Hi All - Soon to be owner checking in from the UK

joolsb5

Hi all from a soon to be FJ/MT-09 Tracer owner in the UK. 

I've had a Suzuki Bandit 1250 for the last 5 years or so and in that time covered around 80,000 miles in all weathers. Not an exceptional distance but more than most UK riders I'd guess. 

I've been thinking about a new bike for a while now but for the longest time nothing quite ticked all the boxes for me, those that were OK on paper and the right price were either pig ugly (*cough* kwak versys *cough* ) or just didn't fee right when I sat on them. 

Then the Tracer came along...

I left it a while for other to get the long term tests out of the ways and now after some considerable research I've finally got around to test ride the the last few days. 

I can honestly say its the first new bike in years that I've immediately felt comfortable on - The test ride was rather enjoyable 8D

Needless to say, the order will be being placed in the next few days so I thought it time I should register here rather than just lurking around in the shadows! 

already ordered my first accessory - Givi SR2122 Top Rack! 

• Premium Member
Welcome Jools. You've obviously done your own research, but I'll share some of my observations:

[ul type=disc][*]Ignore the Yamaha/SW Motech side cases. They are too small, if you want side cases go for the Givi V35, Kappa or Shad cases.[*]The Givi V47 top case works very well for me.[*]The Yamaha heated grips are worthwhile items.[*]Lots of discussion about fuelling problems, I fitted the O2 controller from Kevxtex in Australia, makes the bike feel more refined, a worthwhile addition for me.[*]Lots of discussion about the high speed head shake. I too experience oscillations under certain conditions, so far it hasn't scared me and in my case adding pre-load helped. The next item I will spend money on will likely be a suspension upgrade.[*]The seat is not very good, but it's okay. I have not changed mine yet - there are so many opinions on the various after market options.[*]The screen is fine, if very noisy. I have not changed that but invested in custom moulded ear plugs from Ultimate Ear.[/ul]
The triple engine is fantastic and the riding position and wide handlebars make this bike a blast to ride, especially in the mountains. Great bike for a tour to Europe and fun once you get there.

You will enjoy it.

• Premium Member
Welcome Jools. Hope you get the faster red color.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Hi jools

Where you at?

Tracer is great fun - I took it on some roads around where I used to live in SE Wales this afternoon. I really miss being close to the A465, Hereford to Abergavenny road.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Cheers for the welcome Everyone -

Wessie - I'm just north of Manchester, the bike will make it as far north as the trossachs later this year and probably London with work at least once or twice within a couple of months of its arrival.  (he says speaking as though it's already ordered!) 

ULEWZ - it will be indeed a red one, though if Yamaha were to announce a Kenny Roberts yellow one in the next couple of day's that may change my mind  :D

Hi Johan -
from previous bikes I've got Givi E21's for shorter trips and E360's for longer ones so will be getting the PLR2122's rack for the Tracer.
If I'm honest I'd like the E22's as I think they are a much better match lines to the bike, but I'll save my cash for now as I only use the panniers a few times a year. 

For top case I've ordered a V47NN (red lenses, carbon effect top panel) - its huge but actually a step down from the E52 "maxia2" it's replacing. The E52 was gong to be replaced anyway as its a bit tired - fair play to Givi it's quality kit. I must have done 100,000 miles with it over the years, and it was second hand (pulled off a crashed bike) when I got it!

Factory grips will be being ordered - as an all year rider heated grips are essential but at the same time they have been the bane of my life as long as I've been riding. No amount of weatherproofing seems to be able to make an after market set last longer than a couple of winters, either the joints go, the cables break or the controller packs up after frost gets into it.  
Having a factory set-up with no external controller to break, professional connections hidden well behind the fairing and a most of all a warranty is well worth the exaggerated price Yamaha are charging for them in my eyes!

The seats the big question as I have been spoilt rotten with a very comfortable gel seat on the bandit. I had intended to order the comfort seat for the 09 but have read many a review that it's not much more comfortable than the standard one which did feel a bit like a park bench when I was on the test ride - Annoying as I rather like the look of the comfort seat , but I'm now tempted to save my money there and wait for a custom Gel seat to come along. 

everything else I'll see how I go -- I've got o2 controller on my watch list just in case! 

I've only gone and done it - The bikes ordered & deposit's paid, I expect to take delivery 1st March, I've requested Heated Grips, 'Comfort' Seat and a Radiator guard be fitted.

In the meantime I've already taken delivery of some SW-Motech crash bungs and the yamaha case sliders, just in case!

Off to the Bike show at London in a couple of weeks, so should get a few more goodies to fit when she arrives, I'm hoping that Ermax will be there as I think their belly pan is one of the best matches to the factory styling I've ever seen.

I've only gone and done it - The bikes ordered & deposit's paid, I expect to take delivery 1st March, I've requested Heated Grips, 'Comfort' Seat and a Radiator guard be fitted.  
In the meantime I've already taken delivery of some SW-Motech crash bungs and the yamaha case sliders, just in case!

Off to the Bike show at London in a couple of weeks, so should get a few more goodies to fit when she arrives, I'm hoping that Ermax will be there as I think their belly pan is one of the best matches to the factory styling I've ever seen.

Congratulations on the purchase.  Enjoy the new bike when she arrives. 

Having come from a succession of Bandits myself (although they were 1200cc not 1250) I can say that you'll find the FJ's ergos a pretty good match for the Bandits' with the nod going to the FJ for legroom. Plus, you can also order pegs with a 1" drop if you need still more legroom. I thought about getting some, but really want a good 150+ mile day run to see if I really *need* them. FWIW, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I can flat foot the bike while it's on its centerstand - long legs for sure.

The one mod that you should consider *immediately* is an aftermarket windshield. I and several others have the Madstad, 22" for me, and everyone says that they dramatically reduce the wind noise and buffeting that even the tall Yamaha screen throws at you. I think one or two others went with the National Cycle VScreen but I haven't read any detailed reports. I can attest to the quality and efficacy of the Madstad, Mr. Stadnyk did his aerodynamics homework when he designed this bit of kit. I have had it up to over 100 mph - closed course, professional rider - and it still provided a remarkably big pocket of very smooth - non-buffeting? - air flowing around my chest and totally encompassing my helmeted head - no more head shake!! This is a quality product.

One final recco - get rid of that *fugly* tail section, it is hideous and never should have been put into production. There are all sorts of "tail tidy"s available on FleaBay and Amazon. Here's the one direct from MotoDynamic that I have, but it's a bit spendy at $85US. I've seen similar looking and performing units on the Bay for less than $50US, don't know about quality, installation difficulty, etc. The sequential turn signals and 3 quick flashes when braking are nice touches as are the hazard lights. This really cleans up the back end and is the way Yamaha should have produced it to begin with.

http://www.motodynamic.com/2014-2016-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-sequential-led-tail-lights-clear.html

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived